PDA

View Full Version : Elk being hush hush

bowhunter12
09-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Just got off the phone with my cousins boyfriend out by Edson. I'm heading out there tomorrow for a week long hunt. He told me last night he was sitting in the stand when a herd of 15 cows and calves and 2 bulls (one 3x 3 and one 5 x 5) came into the field. He said he cow called and bugled from the stand and both bulls just lifted their heads looked in his direction and then kept feeding. I found this a little odd this time of the year. I've been hunting elk out there 7 years now and usually by this time they're in the full swing of things. He even said the 5 x 5 was off doing his own thing not even sticking with the herd. What are your guys thoughts? I have a few ideas I just want to hear some different input and ideas of what is going on.

Jamie Black R/T
09-10-2014, 12:13 PM
the question is what did your friend have to offer that the 15 cows didn't?

woods_walker
09-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Saw two 6x6 bulls on Sunday in the back mine reclaim at cadomin and it sure looked like they still had velvet on. No where near a cow elk either....

Kurt505
09-10-2014, 12:57 PM
The only way I could get a response out of a bull last weekend was by going right into his bedroom and letting out a bugle. He bugles back immediately and charged in fast. Another 7-10 days they outta be in full gear. Where I hunt it's usually peaking 18th-20th.

bowhunter12
09-10-2014, 01:36 PM
The bulls had no velvet on them. I can't figure out how to use a quote on here yet but Jamie black, I woulda thought if he bugled 120 yards away from the bull and the herd he'd get a little fired up and bugle back or atleast come to check him out

Cowtown guy
09-10-2014, 01:42 PM
The bulls had no velvet on them. I can't figure out how to use a quote on here yet but Jamie black, I woulda thought if he bugled 120 yards away from the bull and the herd he'd get a little fired up and bugle back or atleast come to check him out

Go to the post you want to quote. In the bottom right corner of that post there is an icon that says quote. Click it. The post will appear in a different window and start with [QUOTE=

just start typing below that, or you can go into the post that you quoted and change or add things.

Kinda like the highlighted portion of your quote that I did here.

bowhunter12
09-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Wicked thank you lol I've been on this forum for a while now and could never figure it out

barry c
09-10-2014, 03:02 PM
:angry3:Go to the post you want to quote. In the bottom right corner of that post there is an icon that says quote. Click it. The post will appear in a different window and start with [QUOTE=

just start typing below that, or you can go into the post that you quoted and change or add things.

Kinda like the highlighted portion of your quote that I did here.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/angry3.gif...any elk hunting in 526,,?

fickell
09-10-2014, 03:09 PM
We have been on 3 bulls in the last 4 days and they are talking lots one was a 5x5 that is now hung up in our shop

Gboe8
09-10-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm not hearing much either been out last four morning with out a peep called in one spiker and that's it. I'm west of Edmonton as we'll.

coyotekiller
09-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Got some bulls to bugle on September 1st, but they have been silent since then.

jr.fish
09-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Iv been having the same issue in the edson area.. I have a small group ive been watching and cant get there attention. They just wonder off without the slightest care. Just been trying not to put to much pressure on them tell the bulls get a little more distracted but who knows how thats gunna work out.

pikeslayer22
09-10-2014, 09:33 PM
The only way I could get a response out of a bull last weekend was by going right into his bedroom and letting out a bugle. He bugles back immediately and charged in fast. Another 7-10 days they outta be in full gear. Where I hunt it's usually peaking 18th-20th.
Did he die?

Kurt505
09-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Did he die?

If he did it wasn't from me, I Elmer Fudded big time on that guy. He was really choked I was in his bedroom and came charging in waaaay faster than I expected. I was making a move trying to get closer not realizing how much ground he was making in such little time, it was literally about 3-4 minutes and he was 70yds from me. I was trying to get set up on the edge of a meadow, he was already on the other edge of it. We locked eyes for about 2 seconds then the trees were busting. He's a huge bull, I know where he lives and I'll be back in there on the 20th, this time hopefully I won't blow it.

pikeslayer22
09-11-2014, 06:00 AM
Encounters like that are what it's all about Kurt...good luck on the 20th

albertadeer
09-11-2014, 11:15 AM
It's been pretty quiet up north too. Not the normal for this time of year, had a herd bull in to 5yds this morning.... Then I hit a twig!! :angry3:

Jonny14
09-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Wicked thank you lol I've been on this forum for a while now and could never figure it out

Haha. Me too. Thanks

CROWROCK
09-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Has it been a slow start in the 400 zones as well?

Gboe8
09-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Called in a spiker and a mulie doe today. Still no bugles for me west of Edmonton.

brsniper
09-12-2014, 12:20 AM
There is usually a chain reaction from the Cadomin area, then north towards Edson then up towards Whitecourt. So far it's quiet a few more frosty mornings should push it, Sept 16-25 is usually a good bet. If they start singing in Cadomin it won't take long to light up along the Mcleod, up the Athabasca towards white court. Keep your ears open sound the alarm when you hear it.
Good luck and be bear safe....

u_cant_rope_the_wind
09-12-2014, 11:19 AM
they are in full swing Nojack area
my Daughter and my sister both tagged out :sHa_shakeshout:
one with a 5x5 the other with a 6x7 both called into within 12 yards :sHa_shakeshout:
a pair of very proud and happy girls
not many guys can brag about having both a sister and a daughter that, are probably more successful hunters then the men in the families
my sisters bull
I'm still waiting for pics from my daughters bull

H380
09-12-2014, 09:39 PM
they are in full swing Nojack area
my Daughter and my sister both tagged out :sHa_shakeshout:
one with a 5x5 the other with a 6x7 both called into within 12 yards :sHa_shakeshout:
a pair of very proud and happy girls
not many guys can brag about having both a sister and a daughter that, are probably more successful hunters then the men in the families
my sisters bull
I'm still waiting for pics from my daughters bull

And where is your bull :thinking-006:..lol .. just kidding ,looks like you taught them well ,congrats to both ladies .

OUTFITTER
09-12-2014, 11:47 PM
any chance you avilible to guide elk hunters on sept 17 for 6 days I pay well if interested please call Greg 780-876-9100 kurt505

u_cant_rope_the_wind
09-13-2014, 12:36 AM
any chance you avilible to guide elk hunters on sept 17 for 6 days I pay well if interested please call Greg 780-876-9100 kurt505

I'm to old and crippled up to guide any more, but my mind says yeah man go for it
the body its attached to says oh no you don't:sad0147:
I just tell em where my old favorites spots used to be , and off they go
they are good huntresses , and know their stuff

brsniper
09-13-2014, 05:18 AM
Fantastic start to the season, and a great story I'm sure. Just received a text info a few screams coming in between Robb and Hinton yesterday west of the trunk road. Sounds like good news is arriving daily now. Good luck

fzo
09-13-2014, 05:22 AM
really nice story

Kurt505
09-13-2014, 07:36 AM

I've got a guy coming up from PA September 20-29 elk/moose hunt.

I've got a whitetail hunt booked for the last week of November, but I might be able to fit something in in between depending on the dates.

scottyboy22
09-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Called in a spiker and a mulie doe today. Still no bugles for me west of Edmonton.

called in my frist muley doe to a elk call to! 10yards, never had that happen before, had bulls screaming aug 24,25,26 and its been fairly quite since then, last tuesday seen 3- 5x5s in a group togeather still, were not intrested in the call at all.

mountainman5
09-13-2014, 02:08 PM
went out for a quick locate lastnight after work and managed to get 2 bulls going good called both right in off the mountain. It was a perfect evning saying my wife has never experienced anything like that up close and personal before :sHa_shakeshout:

jr.fish
09-21-2014, 07:17 PM
still not having much luck getting the bulls to respond. toured down around cadomin to robb and tryed to get the few smaller bulls going at the mine. couldnt get a peep out of them and believe it or not the 2 i saw were still in full un-touched velvet? shocked me but maybe they dont venture far enough off the grassy slopes to beat up any trees. iv been seeing cows here and there and bull tracks all over in those areas but thats as far as it ever gets...

Gbuss
09-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Was on the west side of 340 today and saw nothing but wolf tracks every were. Got 3 spruce grouse hens and my two draughts loved it and so did the wife. Saw three white tails two nice bucks and a doe is all all day.

Gordon