PDA

View Full Version : Musky killer says sorry...

Lefty-Canuck
09-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Seems to be the MO of those who do wrong and get caught....had he not been caught I don't think he really would have cared.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/accused-muskie-hater-apologizes-for-killing-fish-and-heated-confrontation

The man caught killing and discarding a muskie in an online video – which had snagged more than 54,000 views by Wednesday afternoon – is fishing for forgiveness.

Eddie Parent said Wednesday he’s sorry for what he did to the fish, and the vitriolic confrontation that followed when two other anglers confronted him.

“I don’t know, I just blew up,” said Parent, 52. “I don’t want this to look like I’m looking for some kind of a way out because I’m not. I deserve to be punished. It was the wrong thing to do because I made no effort to put that fish back in the water so that it would live. I didn’t think it was going to live anyway, but that makes no excuse for the way I handled putting the fish back into the water.”

Conservation officer Kevin Sprague said the Ministry of Natural Resources is still investigating and charges are possible, but he couldn’t provide any other details.

“We thank the public for their assistance in this case and their concern for our natural resources,” said Sprague.

Eddie Parent talks about size of lures he uses to catch muskie during a visit to The Windsor Star Wednesday September 10, 2014. (NICK BRANCACCIO/The Windsor Star)
Parent was fishing Sept. 3 on the Detroit River near where it meets Lake St. Clair. He was out for pickerel, but reeled in a muskie.

Two other men who were fishing nearby captured Parent on video. Mike Cowley and Dane Alexander said they saw Parent beating the fishing to death and throwing it in the water. In the video, which they posted to YouTube, the sound of Parent bonking the fish against the side of the boat is audible before he throws it back in the water.

Cowley and Alexander boated over to Parent and questioned what he’d done. The interaction deteriorated into an obscenity-laced confrontation.

After a story appeared in the Star on Wednesday, Parent reached out to the newspaper to offer his mea culpa.

Parent said he said he didn’t “pummel” the fish like others have suggested.

“The pummeling makes me look like I was out to just go catch a muskie and kill it,” said Parent. “That’s not what happened.”

Parent said the muskie swallowed his jig. When he was taking the hook out, he said it caught his hand.

“I swung and hit the side of the boat with it,” said Parent. “As soon as it was in the water, I went ‘aw, sorry.’ They had it on video and it made me look bad. It was bad, I shouldn’t have done it. But it was more of a reaction than anything.”

He claims this was the first time he killed a muskie and threw it back.

“No I don’t kill them,” he said. “We, 99.99 per cent of the time, release them. I’ve never done that before. Obviously I’m never going to do it again.”

Parent said he doesn’t know why he did it this time.

“No idea,” he said. “This fish was going to die anyway because the gills were ripped. Again, no excuse. There’s absolutely no excuse for what happened.”

He said he also doesn’t have an excuse for his reaction to the two guys shooting the video, even though they were “shooting their mouth off.”

“I don’t know why I said the things that I did,” said Parent. “To those two fishermen, and to all other fishermen and my friends, I really am sorry. It’s something that never happened before and it definitely will not happen again. Sincerely, from inside of me and my heart, I am sorry that this happened. I apologize to everybody that I offended.”

LC

RavYak
09-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Lol, reporter should have asked him why he called it a **** fish...

bwackwabbit
09-11-2014, 11:21 AM
"S***fish"...lol.

S***winds are blowing hard now for that greasy ole Mustard Tiger!

#TPB ...lol.

scesfiremedic
09-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Hope they throw the book at him!

What a disgrace!

JohninAB
09-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Noose is tightening.

chriscosta
09-11-2014, 12:22 PM
He clearly hit the fish with something inentionally...straight up poacher in my eyes and he should jave his fishing liscense taken away ..with a good punishment if hes caught fishing ...and fines to boot ...he certainly has done it before i bet and if hes not in crap hell do it again

trooper
09-11-2014, 06:14 PM
I don't for a second buy his apology! He wouldn't be apologizing if he didn't get caught right? Granted, he can have his day in court and let the judge decide. I'm sure that this will be a guilty verdict. Up to me, after being found guilty, he wouldn't be allowed to fish for 10 years and have all his fishing equipment confiscated. There's too much of this going on and an example needs to be made.

jacenbeers
09-11-2014, 06:45 PM
What a stupid excuse and garbage apology. Hopefully they charge with something

Kokanee9
09-12-2014, 06:48 AM
I have my doubts that this will change anything other than this guy looking around to see if anyone is watching or recording.

I can't believe that this hasn't happened before and wouldn't have happened again in the future.

I'm just glad that he has the attention that he deserves now.

The Reel Deal
09-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Well that didn't take long! Post a video and look what happens!
Now just need MNR to do their part and make an example, since his apology isn't sincere.

Arachnodisiac
09-12-2014, 08:38 AM
What an a*shat.

Muskie was what I always fished for when I lived out that way. Beautiful animals, but even if they were a "trash fish", no creature deserves that kind of treatment by an outdoorsman. Absolutely shameful. I'd ban him from fishing until he turns 98 years old.

Barnes19
09-12-2014, 08:50 AM
"Parent said the muskie swallowed his jig. When he was taking the hook out, he said it caught his hand."

It's not a Bass don't put your fingers in it's mouth.

waterninja
09-12-2014, 09:58 AM
I watched the original video when he was confronted by the guys who took the video, and I'm sure he said that he hates those "garbage" fish and kills them all the time.
Will be interesting to see if officials actually charge him and what punishment he recieves. On the other hand I think he probably lern't a lesson and will change his ways. Lots of anglers in AB still think it's ok to let suckers and burbot rot on the ice or in the bush.
Thanks for posting this new vid. Lefty.

canadiantdi
09-12-2014, 11:07 AM
That's terrible! That was a beautiful fish.

dmcbride
09-12-2014, 01:10 PM
"Parent said the muskie swallowed his jig. When he was taking the hook out, he said it caught his hand."

It's not a Bass don't put your fingers in it's mouth.

No doubt. He sure is back pedaling, making stuff up to justify his actions.

Hueston
09-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Pull his license indefinitely

dean2287
09-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Its really funny when you go back and watch the video again after reading this. He's like a little kid, caught straight up and still denying everything.

Chewie66
09-13-2014, 09:53 AM
That guy can try and make up whatever story he wants. The video shows exactly what happened and what kind of 'fisherman' he is. I wonder how many fish he's done that to over the years? Pretty sad.

Eye'ee
09-13-2014, 01:19 PM
He says he is an outdoorsman. He certainly isn't a sportsman or gentleman. He appears to be doofus though. And an accomplished liar.

pinelakeperch
09-13-2014, 01:30 PM
I absolutely can't stand "fishermen" like this.

I once commented on a picture on Facebook of a guy holding a large Pike vertically by the gill plate in a really awkward and rough way (you'd have to see the photo). I mentioned that he should hold the fish the proper way and ended up having a few people attack me saying that "it's just a pike" "it's a garbage fish" "I just kill these things anyways".

Some people.

Fishfinder
09-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Lol, reporter should have asked him why he called it a **** fish...

Yep. Hope he has learned. Good to expose him. Mighta changed his ways...but doubt it.

gloszz
09-17-2014, 12:06 PM
I know I will get attacked by everyone on here but honestly people are raised in Canada to always rat on each other and go on the band wagon to put people down. On here people admit to killing carp and no one bats an eye, someone kills a muskie and everyone is upset. Maybe say something to the natives that leave tons of fish on the ice. Oh another thing, burbot. MANY people admit to leaving it on the ice just because it is ugly... Really? Get your priorities straight guys.

Lefty-Canuck
09-17-2014, 12:11 PM
I know I will get attacked by everyone on here but honestly people are raised in Canada to always rat on each other and go on the band wagon to put people down. On here people admit to killing carp and no one bats an eye, someone kills a muskie and everyone is upset. Maybe say something to the natives that leave tons of fish on the ice. Oh another thing, burbot. MANY people admit to leaving it on the ice just because it is ugly... Really? Get your priorities straight guys.

I don't waste any fish....not sure who your rant here is directed towards? Canadian anglers? Killing invasive carp that could ruin an ecosystem that were introduced illegally? Is that on the same level as killing a game fish? Burbot always get put back down the hole in my tent.

LC

Sundancefisher
09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:What I would pay for one 38 inch muskie in a perch lake I know about. It would be 60 inches fast.

Seriously though. We need people to wise up. Great looking sport fish. Relative travels east every year to fish em.

diamonddave
09-17-2014, 01:47 PM

And what should my priorities be?? Honestly, I would really like you to answer that question....

Stopping people from introducing invasive species into our watersheds?
Stopping people from breaking the law and helping to ruin our fisheries?
Joining together as a group of outdoorsmen to stop the blatant disregard for our regulations?
I think those are pretty good Priorities to have straight, what are yours?

dmcbride
09-17-2014, 02:43 PM

Muskie are considered a game fish. Muskie also have a low reproductive rate and slow growth which render populations highly vulnerable to over fishing.

I spent 6 years in Orillia Ont. and did lot's of fishing and only ever caught 1 Muskie. They are no where close to the same as a Carp, and to try and put them in the same class as an invasive Carp is rediculous.

As for the Burbot, it is legal to do. but, I do hope they change the regs. to make it illegal.

binnzer32
09-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Agreed.... from midland Ontario

Muskie are considered a game fish. Muskie also have a low reproductive rate and slow growth which render populations highly vulnerable to over fishing.

I spent 6 years in Orillia Ont. and did lot's of fishing and only ever caught 1 Muskie. They are no where close to the same as a Carp, and to try and put them in the same class as an invasive Carp is rediculous.

As for the Burbot, it is legal to do. but, I do hope they change the regs. to make it illegal.

gloszz
09-17-2014, 09:24 PM

Haha really? It is legal to leave a gamefish on the ice and whitefish and only keep walleye and pike...? I highly doubt that. So if you see wolves attackign your deer you can shoot them, let them rot but take the deer home. Your redneck logic is RIDICULOUS, also rediculous.

gloszz
09-17-2014, 09:27 PM
And what should my priorities be?? Honestly, I would really like you to answer that question....

Stopping people from introducing invasive species into our watersheds?
Stopping people from breaking the law and helping to ruin our fisheries?
Joining together as a group of outdoorsmen to stop the blatant disregard for our regulations?
I think those are pretty good Priorities to have straight, what are yours?

I didn't know you were a conservation officer... Priorities that you should be concerned about are yourself. Start with yourself. Then you can actually start changing people. Prioritize your family, health and other actually important things than ratting people out and belittling them. I have seen many fishermen do things on the lake that are from this forum that are frankly hypocritical such as... keeping fish until they catch a bigger one and then throw the smaller one out.

pickrel pat
09-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Haha really? It is legal to leave a gamefish on the ice and whitefish and only keep walleye and pike...? I highly doubt that. So if you see wolves attackign your deer you can shoot them, let them rot but take the deer home. Your redneck logic is RIDICULOUS, also rediculous.

If you can't understand a post, ask an adult to interpret it for you.:thinking-006:

Lefty-Canuck
09-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Read the regs....yes burbot are a gamefish, yes there is a take home limit, and yes you are ALLOWED to waste them but ONLY burbot.
We don't make the rules...and I have never a left a burbot to rot but it is legal to do so!

LC

dmcbride
09-18-2014, 08:01 AM

HaHa, yes really. You should really read some regulations. Fishing and hunting. What is RIDICULOUS, is how uninformed you are about what is legal and what isn't. Read the part in red.

Game fish
57(1) No person who is in possession of a game fish shall allow its
edible flesh to be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.
(2) This section does not apply to
(a) burbot,
(b) fish caught or held under the authority of a research
licence unless specified otherwise in conditions attached
to the licence,
(c) the disposal of fish at the direction of a fishery officer,
(d) fish that undergo taxidermy, and
(e) fish kept under a fish culture licence.

Geezle
09-18-2014, 08:18 AM

For somebody who clearly isn't entirely educated on the regs regarding burbot, you sure come off high and mighty...:rolleyes:

CraigJ
09-18-2014, 02:13 PM
I didn't know you were a conservation officer... Priorities that you should be concerned about are yourself. Start with yourself. Then you can actually start changing people. Prioritize your family, health and other actually important things than ratting people out and belittling them. I have seen many fishermen do things on the lake that are from this forum that are frankly hypocritical such as... keeping fish until they catch a bigger one and then throw the smaller one out.

You make it sound like being a CO is a bad thing...

As an outdoorsman I believe it is your duty to to protect our watershed, our fisheries and ensure the fair and proper enforcement of our laws. If people just acted properly and not selfishly like you suggest there would be no need to 'rat' anyone out and we would not have the problems we have now.

I hope Parent is charged to the fullest extent of the law and gets everything he deserves.