PDA

View Full Version : Best Heater For Ice Fishing Tent

huntinggr81
11-23-2008, 07:59 AM
What kind of heater does everyone use to warm their tents/huts?

SkytopBrewster
11-23-2008, 08:03 AM
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=24

Mr heater little buddy M49B

deanmc
11-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I use a coleman lantern. It works well.

Flip
11-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I use a Mr.Heater Big Buddy. A little on the heavyer side if your pulling your sled/shelter alot. I have yet to get cold out there with this heater.

camshaft
11-23-2008, 10:40 AM
ditto on the Mr Heater little buddy.

These can often be had at House of Tools or Princess Auto for $100. Best money u will spend to stay warm and safe.

Safety D
11-23-2008, 10:46 AM
How much for the big Mr buddy??

Shmag
11-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Probably not interested in this, but thought i would throw it in anyways. I have heard of alot of people standing up a roll of toilet paper in a metal bucket(old tobacco can) and pouring a small bottle of gas line antifreeze on it and light it. From what they say it gives off amazing heat and will provide heat for hours and is odorless and clean burning. I have never tried it, but from what they tell me for a few bucks you can't beat it.

Has anyone ever tried this or heard of this??? My concern is on how clean burning this really is??? Thanks

huntinggr81
11-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I have tried this several years ago. The problem is the alcohol burns off pretty quick (20-30 min) & then the TP starts to smolder.

Shmag
11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I have tried this several years ago. The problem is the alcohol burns off pretty quick (20-30 min) & then the TP starts to smolder.

I guess that wouldn't be too good, that's the first bad thing i have heard on this. Thanks for the info

Mudslide
11-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I have the little buddy as well and I find it a little bulky and sometimes hard to keep lit, but it does a good job heating my 4 man ice cube.

buckmaster
11-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Probably not interested in this, but thought i would throw it in anyways. I have heard of alot of people standing up a roll of toilet paper in a metal bucket(old tobacco can) and pouring a small bottle of gas line antifreeze on it and light it. From what they say it gives off amazing heat and will provide heat for hours and is odorless and clean burning. I have never tried it, but from what they tell me for a few bucks you can't beat it.

Has anyone ever tried this or heard of this??? My concern is on how clean burning this really is??? Thanks

I have three of them and they work great.Make sure you have some kind of lid to control heat and put out the flame out after. dont forget to let fresh air in the tent also!!!

Flip
11-23-2008, 10:54 PM
I think I paid $130 for the Big Buddy. Cant remember for sure. I picked it up at Princess Auto.

The Anvil
11-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I have one of these and it works great in my one man tent... never tried it in a two man but I imagine it would be just as great. I have never had an issue with fumes. I have a canvas tent... allow for ventilation. Just bring an extra propane canister for those long cold days.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/products/5033-751_500.jpg

Couleestalker
11-23-2008, 11:25 PM

This is what I use. The problem is finding old tabacco cans. They hold a toilet paper roll nice and snug. I use methol hydrate, you just buy the 4 litre jugs in hardware stores (much cheaper that buying little gas line antifreeze bottles, which is the same stuff.) You have to put lots of methol hydrate and let it soak in real good, but put the lid so it doesn't all evaporate. Burns for hours without a re-fill.

HotHook
11-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Use a coffee can.Take the cardboard centre out of the Tp and squeeze the roll up tightly to fit in the coffee can.You can cut the bottom off another coffee can to use for a sliding lid on your heater to control the flame.
I use mine all the time in a one man tent.
Usually it will burn for 3-4 hours before it has to be refilled.Just keep an eye on the color of the flame.When it starts to change to orange,it is time to refill.

Shmag
11-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Hey Buck, Coulee, Hothook, thanks for the tips. I have always heard good things about them, but never tried. Think i will give it a try this year. Thanks again and good luck on the ice this year!!!

The Fisherman Guy
11-24-2008, 05:14 PM
The TP idea is new to me, but the idea of flame kinda freaks me out. I really like the idea of a small portable woodstove, that I can cook my catch on if I feel like doing so. Does anyone run a portable wood stove? does it warp with all the heating and cooling, being made out of such thin parts??

If so, what stove are you using? ratings??

I have a coleman heater like the one anvil uses, but I just cannot get the nostalgic feeling of a woodburning stove in my home built shack. What can I say, I like to keep it classy. :sick:

Maverick_Brittany
11-25-2008, 08:06 AM
I have a my heater buddy as well and it keeps my frabill good and toasty and it is easy to use as well.

Mav.....

beermilk
11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
does anyone in canada sell the mr.heaters or do you have to order for the u.s??

even ebay have decent prices but the take u to the cleaners with the $60-100 shipping

2big4u
11-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Princess Auto carries them.

Mike_W
11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I belive the fishin hole does too!!

DoubleCam
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Heater Mr, Mr. Heater!! They are money... keep ya real warm and dry fast.

Mudslide
11-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Got my little heater buddy at House of tools for 100. I see the fish'n hole has them for 149. Phone around, it may save you a bunch.

Brian
11-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Try Northern Tool + Equipment.com or, Google Northern Tool + Equipment. They have the Mr. Heater models on sale for $69.99 plus shipping which is about $28.00. Depending on where you live, it will be delivered right to your door by UPS, and it doesn't take very long. I think their phone no. is 1-800-221-0516. The heaters are still on sale (I checked). I was very happy with the service I received. There are a number of models on sale. Good Luck.

huntinggr81
11-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Just picked up my Portable Buddy Mr. Heater (Little Buddy) at Princess Auto in Grande Prairie. On sale for $119.99 & the Big Buddy is on for $169.99.

Mudslide
11-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Unfortunately UPS is a total rip off when it comes to cross border shipping. They will soak you for everything you've got with phony brokerage fees and hold your purchase ransom until you pay. Consider yourself warned, you will pay through the nose if you use UPS. If they will ship it USPS (US post office) that will be much cheaper and no brokerage fees. With shipping and the low Canadian dollar it is probably cheaper to buy Canadian right now.

whitetailsheds
11-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Peavey Mart sell the Mr. Heater.

Albertadiver
12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
What's your take on the big buddy heater, the website says:

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116

"Certified by CSA International (American Gas Association), Mr. Heater's Big Buddy Indoor Safe Portable Heater features a low oxygen safety shutoff pilot to provide safe, reliable propane heat indoors. "

So I bought it today at Princess Auto about an hour ago.

On the back it says to not use it indoors?? So what's deal here? Yes, with any fuel fired appliance there is a risk of carbon monoxide, but seems to be misleading on the website and what is written on the back...

Piker
12-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a big buddy heater which on low keeps my 4 man ice fishing shelter very warm on low so I also have a portable carbon monoxide detecter with me as the info on the box is not something you always want to believe. It says to keep window open 1 in. for every 100 btus the heater puts out. I think it is kind of a buyer beware or trial and error. I have not had any problems yet

driverlong
12-05-2008, 07:09 AM
What's your take on the big buddy heater, the website says:

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116

"Certified by CSA International (American Gas Association), Mr. Heater's Big Buddy Indoor Safe Portable Heater features a low oxygen safety shutoff pilot to provide safe, reliable propane heat indoors. "

So I bought it today at Princess Auto about an hour ago.

On the back it says to not use it indoors?? So what's deal here? Yes, with any fuel fired appliance there is a risk of carbon monoxide, but seems to be misleading on the website and what is written on the back...

I had the same problem with what I read on the web site to what the "box" was telling me.
If you reread the web site, there is a disclaimer stating it is not rated for indoor use in Canada.

Wild&Free
11-08-2012, 02:27 PM
found this while looking for info, figured I'd give it a bump before someone starts another thread.

chriscosta
11-08-2012, 03:05 PM
anything you can sit a frying pan on lol I like the coleman stove with the oven and burners keeps you warm and cooks those premade safeway lasagnas and sheopords pie yum plus the burners for the all day fish fry it is kinda a lunker but we stick it in a huge tupperware and pull it well worth the effort imoo

Mmtobias
11-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I was just at princess auto the other day in south Calgary and they had tons of mr. Heaters. I can't remember the price but they had the little buddy and the bigger one.

DaveS
11-08-2012, 11:28 PM
I shopped around quite a bit and recently found this 7000 btu propane heater at Rona for $45.

http://www.rona.ca/en/heater---propane-gas-heater

I would also encourage everyone to educate yourselves on the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Heaters such as this one create and you MUST be venting your tent/shack if you plan on using one. Many of the Mr Heater models have built in shut off for carbon monoxide

Ken07AOVette
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
I use a 10" catalytic heater and 20lb tank, hate the little tanks. 1 tank lasts all winter

vcmm
11-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Would be great for an episode of FEAR FACTOR after eating chili.:sHa_shakeshout:

Kim473
11-09-2012, 04:35 AM
I got the big buddy heater / cooker and love it. I Built a little rack on the top and out front for it. Heats up a ring of garlick sausage rapped in aluminum foil in about 1/2 hr. I make toasted scrambled egg with ham and cheese sandwiches and rap them in foil also. Hot in 15 mins. Will post a pic of it one day. Got rechargable batteries for it and use the 20lb tank. I bet my turkey deep frier would heat up a tent pretty quick. LOL.

OOPS! Think I better get a bigger tent now. And a bigger truck!

NEWB
11-09-2012, 11:06 AM
I picked up one of these last week.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24

I'm looking forward to testing it out. :happy0180:

Geezle
11-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Sunflower heater FTW!

I think I went through 4 or 5 20lb tanks last season :o :lol:

Walleyemagnet
11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I also use one of those sunflower heaters. I bought a small pancake tank for it. Its the same diameter as the 20lb but way shorter-very stable, came with a plastic base too. The heater is 15,000btu so it puts out a lot of heat, I even carry it around outside with me to warm my hands once the sun goes down. The first thing I do is snowmobile out to my spot and set up the tent with the heater going inside. I fish outside all day usually drilling at least 50 holes. Whenever I need dry socks or gloves or just to go in and warm up, then it's nice and toasty. Hang the wet gloves and socks from the top of the tent and they're warm and dry in a couple of hours. The cool thing is that when the sun goes down and you go inside the tent to fish, the floor of the tent is like glass. With the light inside the tent you can see the fish at least 10ft down when you're hauling one in. When you're ready to go, just pop the heater off the tank and pack it away and you're gone. I just think they're more durable to haul around in my sleigh behind my snowmobile than those plastic "buddy" deals.

Speckle55
11-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I use this its quick and does a good job Black Cat Coleman Heater

David:)

http://www.coleman.com/product/2000004165

Gus
11-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I use the same one. I got it on sale at crappy tire for $50 and it does the job in my 3 man tent. It can blow through those little tanks pretty quick. Im thinking of upgrading mine.

I use this its quick and does a good job Black Cat Coleman Heater

David:)

http://www.coleman.com/product/2000004165

edmontonfishing
11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Any one has tried the portable fire pit in the middle of a tent? I want to try this season. I may even BBQ fish when fishing. Any input?

fishtank
11-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Any one has tried the portable fire pit in the middle of a tent? I want to try this season. I may even BBQ fish when fishing. Any input?
just make sure theres adequate ventilation

WayneChristie
11-13-2012, 05:10 PM

you would need a pretty big tent, and I think you would melt the top of your tent pretty quick. go propane, a tank is a lot easier to haul around than firewood and you need less ventilation. I have a 10 pound tank that lasts quite a while. buddy heater is ok for a 2 or 4 man tent, if you get a 6 or 8 man tent you will need a bigger heater on the cold days

fishermansfriend
11-13-2012, 05:15 PM
A sunflower heater for my 2 man cooks us in a few minutes even on the lowest setting and you can but the dual sunflowers for you guys with the bigger tents, if 30,000btu dont keep you warm, chances are your not canadian.

Gilligan
11-14-2012, 06:24 AM
I have 3 units that I have used

Small sunflower type... screws direct to the bottle. ( 5000 btu )
hard to adjust and scares the crap out of me cause its so tippy.

Brinkman / has a small adjustable control. screws direct to the
propane bottle. 6,000 btu . its ok but again... hard to
adjust to exactly how you want it.

Little Buddy. by far the best !! pilot stays on so you simply
turn it up and turn it down. Its unlikely you will need anymore heat
than what it produces. Also..... I will hang one of those toast
wire mesh handle things in front of it with my sandwich in it.
Toasty lunch !!!

AO members..... Dont get mad but...
please think twice about lighting up a can with
toilet paper and fuel !! we've come along way and there
are better ways to stay warm and safe for cheap.

B_Type13X2
11-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Canadian Candle / Swedish Torch.