PDA

View Full Version : Carson peg

capper
09-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Heading out to Carson on Saturday and was looking for some advise on what technics are most successful this time of year. I normally troll spinners(worm harness) and rappels. With my fly rod I normally just drag leeches and wholly buggers behind the boat. I don't fish trout often and don't know if I should be trying something different. Thanks.

RavYak
09-18-2014, 08:57 AM
I will be out there as well this weekend. I too usually use leeches or wooly buggers trolled on a sinking line or sometimes under an indicator. Sometimes I use little spinners/spoons with my casting gear. I haven't fished this lake before so don't know exactly what they like the most. I can't believe how many fish they stock in this lake, around 190,000 a year including usually stocking some in September so there might be a new batch of hungry stockers in there for us.

chriscosta
09-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Nice...i wanna go check it oit there good luck to yas

RavYak
09-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Problem with them stocking so many is that they probably don't grow very big. They have found that with trophy lakes fish grow much bigger if they stock fewer fish.

Lund rebel
09-18-2014, 07:42 PM
The best and only advice I can give you is don't fish along or anywhere near ravyak, something about that guy scares fish away:scared0018:

RavYak
09-18-2014, 08:13 PM
The best and only advice I can give you is don't fish along or anywhere near ravyak, something about that guy scares fish away:scared0018:

Sure blame it on me why don't you. I think I just need a better guide :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Capper, make sure you come say hi. I will be the guy in the fishing kayak catching all the fish :happy0034:

chriscosta
09-19-2014, 06:21 AM

I dont care about size ... i do not eat trout..i find em to be nasty ... kids like the odd one tho

capper
09-19-2014, 08:14 AM
I'll be out in a 12ft flat bottom, I'll look for ya ravyak. Carson is by no means the lake to go for if your looking for consistent big fish but it's a lot of fun and I'm taking the brother in law out and he's new to fishing so if there biting this will the perfect lake.

mikebossy
09-19-2014, 10:19 AM
troll or cast backswimmer imitations, if you're trolling use a split shot or two a couple feet in front of the fly, if flycasting look for rings of rising fish, cast to the rings as soon as you see them, they have trouble with catching the backswimmers so they will stay a bit in the area they rose and be looking for your fly there

fishman
09-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Use a green and black Woolley bugger, black leach.shrimp pattern. 52 Buick tied for this lake or a backswimmers and fish it deep 75 percent of the time trout catch them before they get to the surface and don't use a split shot use a sinking line with a foam backswimmers while trolling give jigging action to work fly to mimic real ones

EZM
09-19-2014, 03:41 PM
William wobbler for a flasher and 36" of line to a walleye spinner rig or spin n glow set up.

It may not change your life - but might change the way you fish for pan fry sized rainbows.

chriscosta
09-19-2014, 07:08 PM
I been meaning to try slow death rigs for trout ...anyone ever try em

EZM
09-19-2014, 09:24 PM
We will be there in the morning ....... hopefully the fish are stupid, hungry and easy ..... lol

Texican
09-19-2014, 10:03 PM
I will be out there as well this weekend. I too usually use leeches or wooly buggers trolled on a sinking line or sometimes under an indicator. Sometimes I use little spinners/spoons with my casting gear. I haven't fished this lake before so don't know exactly what they like the most. I can't believe how many fish they stock in this lake, around 190,000 a year including usually stocking some in September so there might be a new batch of hungry stockers in there for us.

They used to stock 500,000 per year but with budget cutbacks you know...
Carson lake did hold the provincial record for largest rainbow trout for several years before being eclipsed by Lake Edith in Jasper.

EZM
09-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Was out there today .......... fishing was slow for sardines. I would have filleted the catch but did not have an exacto knife.

The bigger fish, if they still exist, are smarter than I am.

RavYak
09-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Was out there today .......... fishing was slow for sardines. I would have filleted the catch but did not have an exacto knife.

The bigger fish, if they still exist, are smarter than I am.

I thought that was you out there. I just keep getting in your way I guess... Amber wonders why you didn't say hi.

Lots of people were struggling to catch anything of decent size especially since they obviously just dumped in a bunch of new stock. I did pretty good though, here were my 3 best. My 17 incher was the biggest fish our group caught this weekend. I got my limit of 13+ inchers to smoke up this week, can't wait.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P9210008.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P9210007.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P9200006.jpg

capper
09-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. We had a blast out there, boated at least 30. Kept 5 between the 2 of us. All 14-15. I tried lots of the suggestions and we did the best trolling pretty fast with worm harness spinners. I did do a little fly fishing and boated a few with a leech. I'll admit I gave up rather easy as the spinners were working so well. Even got a few birds on the way home. Bonus. Thanks again!!! Misss ya out there ravyak, I'll keep an eye out for ya next time

RavYak
09-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. We had a blast out there, boated at least 30. Kept 5 between the 2 of us. All 14-15. I tried lots of the suggestions and we did the best trolling pretty fast with worm harness spinners. I did do a little fly fishing and boated a few with a leech. I'll admit I gave up rather easy as the spinners were working so well. Even got a few birds on the way home. Bonus. Thanks again!!! Misss ya out there ravyak, I'll keep an eye out for ya next time

We used the east boat launch and stayed in the SE corner of the lake and on Saturday I went to Pegasus in the afternoon to escape the wind. Only caught 2 mediocre pike over there though.

Stinky Buffalo
09-21-2014, 09:48 PM
We fished from shore, watching you guys go back and forth... :D

My kids kept telling me, "Daddy, we really need to bring a boat next time..." :lol:

Had lots of fun, though.

Rikkles Fisher
09-22-2014, 12:38 AM
I been meaning to try slow death rigs for trout ...anyone ever try em

You mean you don't like stocked rainbows Chris, nothing beats a mountain stream or river fresh trout, I could prove it if ya ever came fishing down here with me!

FisherGrrrl
09-22-2014, 09:37 PM
I thought that was you out there. I just keep getting in your way I guess... Amber wonders why you didn't say hi.

Lots of people were struggling to catch anything of decent size especially since they obviously just dumped in a bunch of new stock. I did pretty good though, here were my 3 best. My 17 incher was the biggest fish our group caught this weekend. I got my limit of 13+ inchers to smoke up this week, can't wait.

Ya EZM! Once I heard you were out there I tried looking but could only go so far in the pontoon. Awesome weekend though! RavYak hogged all the big ones but I had fun catching all the suckers on leech patterns and tiny trout on dry flies haha! Saturday was pretty windy but did anyone stay out for the evening? The water was boiling with fish, we had so much fun out there.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/AmberSerbin/AMBULER-PC/cell6/ead4af52-04ff-4b8f-a47b-ba2d26f69fdf_zps6367aa27.jpg (http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/AmberSerbin/media/AMBULER-PC/cell6/ead4af52-04ff-4b8f-a47b-ba2d26f69fdf_zps6367aa27.jpg.html)
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/AmberSerbin/AMBULER-PC/cell6/d80e9b1d-ea6f-4be4-8235-96a052575353_zpse541ff08.jpg (http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/AmberSerbin/media/AMBULER-PC/cell6/d80e9b1d-ea6f-4be4-8235-96a052575353_zpse541ff08.jpg.html)
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/AmberSerbin/AMBULER-PC/cell6/1fb585a7-a83c-4534-9df8-6fcd560e24c1_zpsfda0ceb8.jpg (http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/AmberSerbin/media/AMBULER-PC/cell6/1fb585a7-a83c-4534-9df8-6fcd560e24c1_zpsfda0ceb8.jpg.html)
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/AmberSerbin/AMBULER-PC/cell6/FE289CBF-BD74-47EA-98F6-25EA3EAF52D7_zpsrttlaach.jpg (http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/AmberSerbin/media/AMBULER-PC/cell6/FE289CBF-BD74-47EA-98F6-25EA3EAF52D7_zpsrttlaach.jpg.html)

RavYak
09-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Lol, nice white sucker.

chriscosta
09-22-2014, 10:53 PM
You mean you don't like stocked rainbows Chris, nothing beats a mountain stream or river fresh trout, I could prove it if ya ever came fishing down here with me!

Haha your right ...i just dont "particularly" like stocked trout .. i cant wait to get out we should go soon the rivers should be producing good

EZM
09-23-2014, 08:58 AM
We were out very early - like the first boat on the lake, in the pitch black.

The sun came up and the bite started and was pretty steady until around noon or so.

Nothing remotely close to keeper size. ( 13"-14"+ for me is kind of that minimum size).

We trolled slow with flatfish/kwikfish and had some takers, we trolled faster with spinners, slower with spinner rigs, mid speed with apexes and spoons, tried spin n' glows but could not catch a decent sized eater. Everything seemed to produce bites, but nothing seemed to be much better or much worse than the other.

We fished fast, slow, deep, surface, bouncing ..... you name it.

Looks like it was our turn to be the suckers .... lol.

I am determined to get out to that lake one more time this fall .... just because !!!!!! lol. I seem to be stubborn.

RavYak
09-23-2014, 09:25 AM
EZM, you are going to have to take up fly fishing ;)

Now that I am slowly getting the hang of fly fishing I will have a hard time ever going back to spinning gear for my trout.

EZM
09-23-2014, 08:06 PM
EZM, you are going to have to take up fly fishing ;)

Now that I am slowly getting the hang of fly fishing I will have a hard time ever going back to spinning gear for my trout.

If you were in the yak ..... yeah I saw you trying to cast through some wind ..... Thats why I didn't bother.

I had my fly rod in the boat - but seemed a little choppy and windy to be slinging my fly over the windshield, trolling motor, etc.... lol .... probably could have dragged a bead head nymph around the lake ..... but was too stuborn to give up on my "fool proof and 100% guaranteed" techniques.

They were hitting ...... just not landing anything that's worth making a fillet out of ..... last trip out we had our limit of small keepers by 10 am ..... this time ........ not a chance.

The only thing we did differently, is troll using the gas motor instead of the electric. In chop like that, the electric is tough to use (control) and sucks the juice out of the batteries quickly.

Who knows ..... one of those days I guess ...

lol.

RavYak
09-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Yeah I was the kayaker in SE corner. If I am right you were the boat that came up close to me a few times while I was anchored. I almost yelled out your name as I thought I recognized you from wing night but wasn't quite sure.

The wind definitely made fishing a pain, especially since a few of us had drank a little too much rum the night before... I prefer to troll but I couldn't do it effectively in that wind/chop. Saturday evening and Sunday morning were beautiful though, you would have probably had better luck then.

spinN'flyfish
09-23-2014, 10:08 PM
carp like leeches too. Those bottom feeders like 'em for some reason.