PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Canel - quick help

Raven
11-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Planning on going to the warm water canel in the morning for some pike fishing but not sure on how to get in. I've driven past the canel on the bridge before going to the town so I know where it is, just not exactly how to get in to wherever you fish. Dont you have to go around some kind of fence? Thanks for any help

fishead
11-24-2008, 06:23 AM
I have'nt been there for ahwile but I am prettty sure that access to the canal is all feneced off by Transalta. If you do get in there to fish I sure would not eat anything out of there. Four eyed fish etc :sick:

pdfish
11-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Park in the little lot out in front of the rail tracks. Hop the gate and follow trail around outside of fence. Its about a 8 minute walk to where you can fish. Good luck!!

Okotokian
11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Used to work for TransAlta. You shouldn't be trespassing on company property. Things may have changed, but while they try to cooperate with sportsman, pretty sure you wouldn't get permission. Too big a liability risk. They don't want someone falling in and then suing them for "not maintaining the bank properly". People coming into a plant site usually have to have things like safety training, an orientation, etc. They take that stuff pretty seriously.

pdfish
11-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Used to work for TransAlta. You shouldn't be trespassing on company property. Things may have changed, but while they try to cooperate with sportsman, pretty sure you wouldn't get permission. Too big a liability risk. They don't want someone falling in and then suing them for "not maintaining the bank properly". People coming into a plant site usually have to have things like safety training, an orientation, etc. They take that stuff pretty seriously.

I understand what you're getting at, but I only think a certain portion of the canal is their property. And even if it isn't, I really don't think they care or its not their responsibility past a certain point. All of the aerators and other tools they have in the canal are behind an 8 foot high chain link fence. Once you get past the fence you can start fishing. Last winter one of the employees even gave us a ride back to our truck instead of us walking out.

allenford
11-24-2008, 01:42 PM
I am interest this winter open water fishing opportunity as well. But I have never been to wabamun, so does anybody can give a location using google earth? so I think it will make more sense for us.

Thank you very much.......

Raven
11-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Never made it out but thanks for the responses I might try tomorrow.

linemanpete
11-28-2008, 03:08 PM
did ya manage to make it out there?

seahawkfisher
11-28-2008, 09:22 PM
as of wed the airators are off and the canal is frozen over; may have changed since then... i hope
cheers

pdfish
11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
as of wed the airators are off and the canal is frozen over; may have changed since then... i hope
cheers

Its frozen over?? Wow! Even with the aerators off, I've never seen it frozen over before in the 10 years I've been fishing there. I may have to stop by after my morning hunt tomorrow and have a look.

Deano
11-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I was out there Thursday morning and it was frozen over except for a very small portion east of the canal.

Deano

Cal
11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Are you sure you are talking about the outlet cannal? The intake one to the east will sometimes be full of ice but I'v never seen the outlet freeze, on cold days I am tempted try swiming. You can walk around the the fence, near the lake the fence cuts back to the canal, this is where I usualy fish. A sled is usefull to get your gear in and out.

allenford
12-02-2008, 10:06 AM
went there yesterday afternoon, there are two canals I beleive and both of them are still open....

DoubleCam
12-05-2008, 11:48 PM
went there yesterday afternoon, there are two canals I beleive and both of them are still open....

Ive seen the canal shut down once for servicing. The reason the water is open is because it is pumping the warm water out. If it is froze over it will more tha likely be the top section on the other side of the yellow fence.
I wish anyone luck that fishes in there, it is hit so hard by anglers its sick really. Still some great fish caught out of there but it can get quite depressing sometimes at that.
And please, please anglers dont fish with barbs out there! and pay attention to your rod. Im tired of catching Pike that are all swollen up with a leader sticking out of their mouth and a treble far back with barbs. It right P*SS*S me off.

Suggestion, fish with some monster soft plastics and jerk baits to change up presentation from typical stinky smelts.

G'Luck

Ill be out there in the new year in my float tube, when its really cold and everyone is scared to get out of the truck from the cold. :lol:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Ive seen the canal shut down once for servicing. The reason the water is open is because it is pumping the warm water out. If it is froze over it will more tha likely be the top section on the other side of the yellow fence.
I wish anyone luck that fishes in there, it is hit so hard by anglers its sick really. Still some great fish caught out of there but it can get quite depressing sometimes at that.
And please, please anglers dont fish with barbs out there! and pay attention to your rod. Im tired of catching Pike that are all swollen up with a leader sticking out of their mouth and a treble far back with barbs. It right P*SS*S me off.

Suggestion, fish with some monster soft plastics and jerk baits to change up presentation from typical stinky smelts.

G'Luck

Ill be out there in the new year in my float tube, when its really cold and everyone is scared to get out of the truck from the cold. :lol:

X 2, I think theres a certain amount of responsibility, I never leave my rods or lines unattended.

Dark
12-06-2008, 12:56 PM
We used to spear fish there in the winter with only wet suites, never caught a walleye in there with a rod, but we sure seen lots on the bottom when we were swimming.

Cal
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
I greatly regret never having taken up spearfishing back when you could still spear gamefish. Now theres realy no point unless you like suckers.

Fishin' Fool
12-08-2008, 07:17 PM
"Im tired of catching Pike that are all swollen up with a leader sticking out of their mouth and a treble far back with barbs."

I second that. Actually, barbed or not, trebles do a lot of damage. I fish the Wab outlet quite a bit(at least 7 or 8 times this fall and winter) and have caught fish with various spoons and cranks almost out of sight down their gullets and seen numerous big pike dead in the shallows.

Personally, I replace the trebles on my spoons with single, weedless hooks. Not only are they a lot easier to remove from a fish, it's easy to add a jig tail or bait to change the look of the spoon if you desire.

I've been still fishing with circle hooks from shore since the boat launch iced up and every single fish I've caught has been in the "lips". If you haven't tried circle hooks before, you should give them a chance. They look stupid, I know. The first time I saw one I thought it would never work, but they do. Not only do you get easy releases, but I find my hook-up per hit ratio is way higher than with standard hooks.

FF

burbotman14
12-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Last winter i saw one pike swim by with a treble rig hanging out of it's mouth. I caught my biggest pike with a jighead and minnow. 37 inches. You don't need a million hooks just to guarantee your catch. We need to be extra careful this year because most people might keep there injured or deeply hooked pike, but now you can't keep them. Care for the fish out there.