PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Merc 2 stk 115hp

rcales
09-20-2014, 08:33 AM
my motor has developed a bit of knock at idle, but runs fine. would anyone know if this is something to be concerned about?

Thx

Walleye101
09-20-2014, 09:01 AM
If you have been running regular low octane fuel you probably just have carbon build up. Have a dealer clean it all out and start running premium fuel.

Kim473
09-21-2014, 05:28 AM
Just put a can seafoam in the gas tank and run that through. No dealer required. Could be a main bearing on the crank shaft going?? Could be some gears going too ?? Does the prop have any dings in it? maybe out of balance?

You may want to have a dealer take a look at it before you do anything else and damage more stuff and cost more money.
Our 1997 always had what seemed to be a knock at idle since new. Fall is here, take it in and have them look at it and do a dyno tune and you will be
ready for next summer.

The Reel Deal
09-21-2014, 08:02 AM
I would be concerned.
Back in my teens I blew a rod right through the block when my Merc started to knock. I might not have put enough oil in the gas, I really can't remember. But I would get it looked at before going back out on the lake.

curtz
09-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Just put a can seafoam in the gas tank and run that through. No dealer required. Could be a main bearing on the crank shaft going?? Could be some gears going too ?? Does the prop have any dings in it? maybe out of balance?

You may want to have a dealer take a look at it before you do anything else and damage more stuff and cost more money.
Our 1997 always had what seemed to be a knock at idle since new. Fall is here, take it in and have them look at it and do a dyno tune and you will be
ready for next summer.

LMAO you say no dealer required and then you say get it in to the dealer.

Kim473
09-21-2014, 08:37 AM
LMAO you say no dealer required and then you say get it in to the dealer.

No dealer required for the seafoam and cleaning the carbon out. I think he may have a bigger problem though and should take it in. Maybe you should have read the previous post to mine about carbon build up.

ballhunter
09-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Had the same issue it was the reeds cost about 700 to replace

rcales
09-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the replies boys. Run sea foam in every tank, its oil injected shouldn't be a mixing issue, its a jet so it's not the prop. better take er in......anyone looking for 2000 115 merc jet? haha