PDA

View Full Version : boats on the nsr

CanuckAngler11
09-20-2014, 11:35 AM
So a lot of people have been telling me you need a jet boat for the nsr is this true? We want to get a 16 foot aluminum with a 25hp would this be OK for the nsr or is that not OK? Any help would be appreciated.

pickrel pat
09-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Have you spent a lot of timing boating rivers? If not, I would heed their advice.

CanuckAngler11
09-20-2014, 12:01 PM
No I have never boated rivers

e40water12
09-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Id only run a canoe on the river. Tons of shallow spots. Not worth wrecking your boat.

Marsha
09-20-2014, 01:08 PM
with the river at the level it is at you would be very limited as to where you can go, I have in previous years traveled from Edmonton to south of Drayton Valley with a 12' harbourcraft alunimun boat + 9.8 hp. but anything lower than 3.8 m "Edmonton station" you start to get cutoff by gravel bars.. also carry a spare prop you will need it...

My boat I altered to raise the motor so the water pump just worked in the min of water

I also got a Macs River runner on my motor Saved a lot of broken props

robfraser
09-20-2014, 02:04 PM
About a month ago we kayaked from devon to edmonton. River was very shallow with lots of rocks. At one point in the middle of the river we had to walk our kayaks for quite a ways. You might get away with a boat and regular motor in the spring when the water is high but in the summer and fall you would really beat up your motor.

Lund rebel
09-20-2014, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't do it personally, my cousin tried and destoryed a prop in about 5 mins, we bought a little 20 hp with a jet and saved my butt numerous times. There are spots in the river where I still cringe with how shallow it gets out of nowhere even with the jet on. The guy I bought the motor from had the prop and got all sorts of special guarding made up and still destroyed it.

Og Dumi
09-20-2014, 06:54 PM
I've seen all kinds of different boats on the river, I personally wouldn't take anything out that costed a lot or would cost a lot to fix. To many shallow spots and big objected floating around ect. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

the local angler
09-20-2014, 07:21 PM
i would also say river boating experience is key,go with someone to show you the ropes cause the smallest detail could come back to bite you and this is me speaking from experience. one small detail i neglected almost cost me my life because i lacked the knowledge and experience.