PDA

View Full Version : How many of you tie/make your own lures/spinners/gear?

Graffy91
09-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Just curious as to how many of you on here, actually put the time, effort and craftsmanship into making your own spinners/lures/gear?

I myself, I spin my own walleye spinners all the time for bottom bouncing. I see it as it takes up my time, I enjoy doing it and the fact I can put whatever beads, spinner blades, hooks, floaters and what not into my spinners.

Whether it be money reasons, hobbyists, or people who just simply like doing it please vote, and post your opinions. :)

RavYak
09-21-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't make any lures but I might have to start tying flies or find somewhere to buy quality ones because the fishinhole/cabelas/wholesale sports ones kind of suck...

I wanted to get some from ickyflyworks to try his out but his site has been down for the last month...

Lund rebel
09-21-2014, 05:47 PM
My vote goes to kind of

I tie all my own flurocarbon leaders for pike fishing, was making my own special p rigs when starting to fish the river before I discovered the sliding rig.
I tie my own leaders and smelled hooks for trout fishing/ river fishing

Never ventured into the spinners as I usually use juggernauts for walleye and they are tied with cable so last forever.

If I was able to make my own crank baits I would as that's usually all I ever fish with.

Graffy91
09-21-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't make any lures but I might have to start tying flies or find somewhere to buy quality ones because the fishinhole/cabelas/wholesale sports ones kind of suck...

I wanted to get some from ickyflyworks to try his out but his site has been down for the last month...

My vote goes to kind of

I tie all my own flurocarbon leaders for pike fishing, was making my own special p rigs when starting to fish the river before I discovered the sliding rig.
I tie my own leaders and smelled hooks for trout fishing/ river fishing

Never ventured into the spinners as I usually use juggernauts for walleye and they are tied with cable so last forever.

If I was able to make my own crank baits I would as that's usually all I ever fish with.

I totally forgot about tying flies, that is a past time of many flyfisherman.

I hate buying the northland tackle spinners, or the cheap lindy rigs... They last for 2 fish if that then a hook snaps off, or they bite right through the line...

Glad to see people do still make their own though. :sHa_shakeshout:

lolanr
09-21-2014, 06:28 PM
I used to tie simple flies but I don't seem to get out fly fishing anymore. I tie about 50 walleye spinners a year now.

Lund rebel
09-21-2014, 06:59 PM
I tie my own leaders and smelled hooks

For clarification
Just got an email from one of my followers, (possibly the only one) turns out I tie smelly snelled hooks
Lol

Thanks Guys ;)

pinelakeperch
09-21-2014, 07:14 PM
I've been wanting to get into jig making but never seem to do it.

Vigsy
09-21-2014, 08:20 PM
You know cause youve used them but i make a whole crap ton of quickstrike rigs:) like you said way cooler to play with your own blade and bead color combinations:)

bobalong
09-21-2014, 10:06 PM
I tie all my own rigs, spinner, lindy, sturgeon, and almost all of my flies, with the exception of small dry flies.

aulrich
09-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Started pouring my own soft plastics, plan on carving plugs too and casting reproductions.

gnugen
09-22-2014, 08:14 AM
I build in-line spinners, paint hard baits and leaders. Plan on air brushing new jig heads from Do-it I got at last year's iCast in Vegas.

gnugen
09-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Started pouring my own soft plastics, plan on carving plugs too and casting reproductions.

Good video for large production of wood lures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzR4JyngaG0

Rat-L-Traps:
http://www.fishhound.com/videos/awesome-catches-brag-board/fishhound-lunch-break-how-its-made-rat-l-trap-lures