PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing/Storage

Fish_Dog
09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
When do you folks usually winterize/store your boats for the winter? It's my first season with my own boat.

cube
09-23-2014, 12:45 PM
When do you folks usually winterize/store your boats for the winter? It's my first season with my own boat.

What kind of motor on your boat?

I have an outboard so do not put mine to bed until end of Oct, but if the nice weather holds it might be November this year.

dodger
09-23-2014, 05:34 PM
When the ice slows the trolling speed. Out on the water when ice fog covers the boat and me in ice, my version of Southern Alberta Deadliest Catch.

Dodger.

EZM
09-23-2014, 08:11 PM
I've played ice breaker a few cold mornings ...... I recall a time I had to clear off an area, by driving around a small bay, to fish to get my lure under water instead of landing on the ice.

Ah yes ...... being stubborn has it's rewards.

Fish_Dog
09-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Yes its an outboard...good to hear lots of fishing left.....then the auger comes out

Lornce
09-24-2014, 06:35 AM

In the next couple of weeks for me

yetiseeker
09-24-2014, 08:38 AM
If you plan to run your boat when temperatures are below freezing, one suggestion for you is to expel the water from your intakes after each use.

In other words, when you tralier your boat, turn the "run engine" switch off, and then turn your engine over for a short burst, three times to expel the water. If you do this, the water that is still in your intakes will be pushed out and will not freeze up over night. If you don't, the left over water can freeze, expand and cause damage to your motor. A quick and effective tip for you if you plan to run your boat in water in the fall.

cube
09-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Yes its an outboard...good to hear lots of fishing left.....then the auger comes out

Not sure what kind of motor you have but on My Merc and Old Evinrude the manual just says you need to tilt the motor all the way down and it will drain. I usually move it all the way down, then all the way up, then all the way down again just to be sure. I also leave the motors all the way down when at home just in case it rains then freezes over night. It would also be prudent to check you're lower leg lubricant to make sure no water managed to get in before things freeze up. Then you should be good to g until hard water season. One last little tidbit. If your engine is hard starting you might want to take a rain check on very cold days. I saw many very frustrated guys out on Wab last year trying to get there old 2 strokes started in the cold weather.

enjoy the rest of the season.

YeeHaw
09-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Not sure what kind of motor you have but on My Merc and Old Evinrude the manual just says you need to tilt the motor all the way down and it will drain. I usually move it all the way down, then all the way up, then all the way down again just to be sure. I also leave the motors all the way down when at home just in case it rains then freezes over night. It would also be prudent to check you're lower leg lubricant to make sure no water managed to get in before things freeze up. Then you should be good to g until hard water season. One last little tidbit. If your engine is hard starting you might want to take a rain check on very cold days. I saw many very frustrated guys out on Wab last year trying to get there old 2 strokes started in the cold weather.

enjoy the rest of the season.

Exactly what i was thinkin. A couple years ago went to Wab in early November in the boat, then went ice fishing on Chicacoo on the way home.:sHa_shakeshout:

RavYak
09-26-2014, 04:50 PM
If you are going to use your boat during freezing temperatures then after loading your boat onto the trailer make sure you tilt the motor down and let the water drain out. If you leave the motor up it could hold water in and freeze creating issues.

Winterizing itself can be done at pretty much any time.