PDA

View Full Version : Boat wrap

TROLLER
10-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Anyone put a wrap on their boat and if so how is it standing up?

Rock chips and the like are my main concern, I am now in the process of either paint or wrap. The area I want painted will cost about the same as a decent wrap of the same area. Am thinking the wrap will stand up better.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Winch101
10-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Do you mean like a shipping skin or shrink wrap plastic .

I'm not sure you could trailer , with that on . I have a couple ,they

Are barely standing up for storage ....if the chips are on the nose or bow ,

You can have a nose bra made .

TROLLER
10-01-2014, 01:22 PM
The wrap is similar to the 3m that you would put on the hood of your car or truck to protect it from rock chips

Runs between 4 and 5 mills thick Nothing like a shrink wrap.

npauls
10-01-2014, 01:28 PM
My tournament partner has one on his crestliner and it seems to hold up good.

Those custom vinyl wraps seem really good. I would love to get one for my boat over the winter.

tight line
10-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Just curious.. What was the price?

npauls
10-01-2014, 09:10 PM
I think they range anywhere from about $800 to $2000 depending on how detailed, size of the boat, and which company you go through.

tight line
10-02-2014, 12:28 AM
I think they range anywhere from about $800 to $2000 depending on how detailed, size of the boat, and which company you go through.

Thanks! Only got a few rock chips so far but just a matter of time.. Lol.

TROLLER
10-02-2014, 09:21 AM
For what I wanted on my 16.5 Crestliner it is $1000

About the same price I was quoted to paint the same section. The best part is you can pretty well pick what you want. I can go to the Crestliner web site and actually have the 2014 graphics or the now popular skeletal fish.

Have not quite decided what to do but I have all winter to decide.

Big Sky
10-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Where do you get this done?
What section of the boat are you wrapping?

Walleyedude
10-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks! Only got a few rock chips so far but just a matter of time.. Lol.

Yep, it's just a matter of time for sure.

Wraps are a great option to change the look of your boat or update it and I've seen some really nice ones that look great. The problem is they don't fix the underlying damage, they just cover it up.

I'd recommend spending some money up front and buying yourself a good trailer mounted rock guard to prevent the damage in the first place. They can be had from $300 to $1500 depending on size and quality. Consider what a wrap or repainting costs and how many miles a year you trailer your boat and the kind of roads you're on and then spend accordingly. This is even more important if you're running a fiberglass boat.

My boat won't go anywhere on the trailer without having the Trailer Tux installed first.

TROLLER
10-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Where do you get this done?
What section of the boat are you wrapping?

Bow tapering down to the stearn. Go to crestliner web site and look at the super hawk. I am thinking of those graphics which pretty well covers everything above water level,

As to rock guards been using them for years but they don't help much when the wind kicks up and the boat docks start moving while you are trying as fast as you can to get the trailer in the water and the boat loaded. Bumpers are great but so. Alberta winds can come up in a hurry and fierce making them useless at times.

Custom graphic's in Airdrie is who I have been talking with. They have done quite a few boats that I am aware of.