PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce SHV

bcacoutdoors
10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Was reading on nightforce web page regarding the new shv line of nightforce scopes. Anyone have a chance and try 1 out yet?

edmhunter
10-01-2014, 03:20 PM
YES! I own a Huskamaw Blue Diamond Series. They are both great if you are shooting long range (400+ yards) and the animals dont know you are there. However if the majority of your shots are under 400 yards, many other scopes are superior.

DaleJ
10-01-2014, 05:02 PM
So you can only use the Huskemaw at 400+ yards. Pity!

edmhunter
10-01-2014, 05:10 PM
That is not what I meant Dale!

I am saying that NF and Huskamaw are great for killing at over 400+ yards, under that they can be distracting and complicated.

I can place a Nosler Accubond 180 grain through a deer, moose's or elk's lungs or heart at 1000 yards with my Huskemaw and Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM.

Hope that clears things up :)

tchardy1972
10-01-2014, 06:54 PM
That is not what I meant Dale!

I am saying that NF and Huskamaw are great for killing at over 400+ yards, under that they can be distracting and complicated.

I can place a Nosler Accubond 180 grain through a deer, moose's or elk's lungs or heart at 1000 yards with my Huskemaw and Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM.

Hope that clears things up :)

:scared0015:

jmc
10-01-2014, 07:06 PM
You should join the Best Of The Worst Crew. Sounds like you'd fit right in with skills like that.

Dadirk
10-01-2014, 07:40 PM
I have just put 2 4x14x56 on for clients and did a lot of shooting with them and I like the scope they can be a little busy in the inside but never had any issues.

wally338
10-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I prefer a FFP Mil/Mil scope for long range shooting.

elkhunter11
10-01-2014, 07:57 PM
You should join the Best Of The Worst Crew. Sounds like you'd fit right in with skills like that.

Them, or long range pursuit.:)

edmhunter
10-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Wow jmc, a personal attack! all I have to say is "whatever". :scared0018:

Bergerboy
10-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Where do you get a chance to practice 1000m shots?

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Around Provost on a friends ranch. I said 1000 yards, not meters :)

To the nay sayers, view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L48Eok5hQZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8crbvPrzQ

Booner Sniper
10-02-2014, 11:42 AM
I am going to look at the SHV when they come in next week, from the reviews I have seen they seem to be holding up well. There is a Sightron TAC in the shop right now that's a 2.5-17x 56, which looks kinda interesting, if they are as good as the S3 then they will be a great scope option as well and still a bit cheaper than the SHV.

tchardy1972
10-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Around Provost on a friends ranch. I said 1000 yards, not meters :)

To the nay sayers, view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L48Eok5hQZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8crbvPrzQ

What do these videos have to do with you? By the way, the nosler accubond is not a good long range bullet. It will not expand reliably at the distance your talking about.

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I find that they have a tremendous killing power and in my case with my 300 WSM are good up to 850 yards, after that I would agree that different calibers would be better choice.

Booner Sniper
10-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I find that they have a tremendous killing power and in my case with my 300 WSM are good up to 850 yards, after that I would agree that different calibers would be better choice.

What he meant is that the Velocity needed to reliably expand an Accubond is lacking at long distance, and at 850 yds your well below what the recommended velocity for an Accubond is. There is nothing inadequate about the caliber or the cartridge you're shooting, but the bullet selection is not optimum for long distance hunting.

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Ok, apparently Corlanes believes that they are. In anycase I have come to the conclusion that the Huskemaw is not appropriate for the type of hunting that I do, in fact I only used my gun if I get skunked with my bow lol. Thank you for your input :)

Bergerboy
10-02-2014, 03:16 PM
The Nightforce SHV comes with a hunting reticle if cluttered optics is an issue.

http://nightforceoptics.com/reticles/IHR/

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 03:22 PM
It's not the optics, it is the turret that annoys me.

Bergerboy
10-02-2014, 03:30 PM
It's not the optics, it is the turret that annoys me.

Why? Set them and forget them, I dont use mine when I am hunting just the MOA dots. They dont appear to be any more cumbersome than any other tactical scope.....or are they?

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Why? Set them and forget them, I dont use mine when I am hunting just the MOA dots. They dont appear to be any more cumbersome than any other tactical scope.....or are they?

Its not that it is cumbersome, it's just that most of the shooting I do is fast with little time to adjust turrets. Last year while I was playing with a turret while staring at a 170 class buck, he ran off before I could set the turret from 200 to 350.

Under normal circumstances I would have killed him with my RainGuard Elite without over thing and over analizing everything if you know what I mean. I prefer instinctive shooting over E='s Mc2. Besides I failed Physics in high school lol.

Bergerboy
10-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Its not that it is cumbersome, it's just that most of the shooting I do is fast with little time to adjust turrets. Last year while I was playing with a turret while staring at a 170 class buck, he ran off before I could set the turret from 200 to 350.

Under normal circumstances I would have killed him with my RainGuard Elite without over thing and over analizing everything if you know what I mean. I prefer instinctive shooting over E='s Mc2. Besides I failed Physics in high school lol.

Um....ok.

schreyer
10-02-2014, 03:59 PM

So you have no problem shooting a moose heart at 1000 yards, but you can't figure out holdover at 250ish yards?

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. Ask Corlanes, I'm sure they can help you out.

As for the SHV scopes, I like them. I don't care for the turrets or magnification adjustment. But alongside my nxs' they can keep up with clarity. Probably ruggedness too, by the looks of them.

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Fi

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 04:11 PM
So you have no problem shooting a moose heart at 1000 yards, but you can't figure out holdover at 250ish yards?

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. Ask Corlanes, I'm sure they can help you out.

As for the SHV scopes, I like them. I don't care for the turrets or magnification adjustment. But alongside my nxs' they can keep up with clarity. Probably ruggedness too, by the looks of them.

With the Huskemaw I can place the bullet anywhere I want at long range, when the animal has not idea that you are there, you can take your time to adjust the turret, relax have a cigaret blow smoke rings then shoot.

My only issue is to play with turrets when you have seconds to shoot. I am an excellent shot and I prefer instinctive shooting given the circumstances I typically find myself in, which is typically under 400 yards is all.

In anycase I know what I am taking about and know what I need. :bad_boys_20:

Bergerboy
10-02-2014, 04:15 PM
With the Huskemaw I can place the bullet anywhere I want at long range, when the animal has not idea that you are there, you can take your time to adjust the turret, relax have a cigaret blow smoke rings then shoot.

My only issue is to play with turrets when you have seconds to shoot. I am an excellent shot and I prefer instinctive shooting given the circumstances I typically find myself in, which is typically under 400 yards is all.

What would you reccomend to shoot at say a 400 yard animal with only seconds to shoot?

wally338
10-02-2014, 04:17 PM

I suspect more trigger time behind that scope would make it more instinctive to use.

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 04:20 PM
I have done it in the past with moose, like this one for instance and a deer like this one :)

wally338
10-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Iam not questioning your hunting ability. Iam simply saying that with lots of practice using a "cluttered" reticle becomes much more easy, particularly under pressure.

edmhunter
10-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Iam not questioning your hunting ability. Iam simply saying that with lots of practice using a "cluttered" reticle becomes much more easy, particularly under pressure.

Hey Wally, I didnt think you were. I was only showing you animals I have taken at 400 yards with my 30-06 with a Rainguard Elite, which is not anywhere as shopicated as my Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM / Huskemaw setup.

I do not want to changemy 300 WSM because I love it, I just want a high end scope that I can shoot up to 600 yards, by pointing and shooting without playing with turrets.

By the way that deer scored 206 B&C Typical Gross :)

qwert
10-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Iam simply saying that with lots of practice using a "cluttered" reticle becomes much more easy, particularly under pressure.

x2
I particularly like the MOAR reticle with its 'floating' center cross, which seems to guide my eye to the primary focus point and clear view of the target, while still allowing use of the hash marks for final adjustment for changing conditions.

Good Luck, YMMV