PDA

View Full Version : Commercial fishing is shutdown in Alberta

Don Andersen
10-01-2014, 06:12 PM
See:
http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/commercial-fishing-alberta.aspx

Pinhead
10-01-2014, 06:31 PM
The best thing the new minister has done. :)

Krush
10-01-2014, 06:33 PM
This is such good news. Here's what it says at the above link:

"Commercial Fishing in Alberta
On August 1, 2014, all lakes in Alberta will be closed to commercial fishing.
A provincial assessment and an extensive third-party review have been completed to assess the long-term viability of Alberta’s commercial fishery and determined that Alberta’s commercial fishery is no longer viable.
Closing the commercial fishery is an important step in protecting the long-term sustainability of Alberta’s fishery. The closure will help to ensure we can meet the increasing pressure and demands placed on the province’s limited number of lakes."

greylynx
10-01-2014, 06:58 PM
See:
http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/commercial-fishing-alberta.aspx

Low hanging fruit. You will continue to see nets in LSL and CL next year.

We have a fisheries problem in Alberta.. a big problem which ever way you look at it.

I find such a small move to be rather insulting.

I did not vote for him.

AppleJax
10-02-2014, 07:38 AM
The lake whitefish are going to devastate a few lakes in a matter of years... Not good

unclebuck
10-02-2014, 08:14 AM

We have a fisheries problem in Alberta.. a big problem which ever way you look at it.

I did not vote for him.

You can add nets in LLB, Beaver, along with all of the lakes in Lakeland Provincial Recreation Area, to continue with the present walleye limits.

Kim473
10-02-2014, 08:40 AM
The lake whitefish are going to devastate a few lakes in a matter of years... Not good

I don't agree. More people will target them if their numbers increase thus keeping the numbers down. I know I would. Maybe they will clean the lakes up a little as they feed mostly on small worms and bugs if i'm not mistaken.

Dan Foss
10-02-2014, 08:54 AM

Some lakes yes. In lakes where there is a large enough established predator base.... I think this should actually help in the short / medium term (5-10 years). But for lakes that the mature walleye and pike numbers are already struggling as it is..... Whites will explode and wont really help out and potentially choke out the lake. Will probably balance out in 10 years-20 years but probably not the best course of action if we are looking at restoring our lakes.

There are goods and bads

greylynx
10-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Good points Applejax and Dan Foss.

Stabilization of an ecosystem, if there ever is any, does not occur over night.

TROLLER
10-02-2014, 09:25 AM

I did not vote for him.

Is here some part of that announcement that I missed. Does not closed mean closed. No where do I see anything about some lakes continuing with commercial fishing. Sorry if I missed it.

Lornce
10-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Does this mean no more nets in McGreger?

crazyfish
10-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Ther will still be nets allowed to be set by 1st nations people . And I don't have an issue with that ! But I do agree that the commercial side needed to stop !

Walleye101
10-02-2014, 10:19 AM
This is a good thing for Alberta Lakes. Years of scientific research have finally proven that there are not enough lakes in Alberta to sustain a commercial fishery with the population boom that was forecasted 20 years ago. Whitefish choking out lakes? C'mon people. Seriously? There will be more bigger Pike, Walleye and Lake Trout caught in the near future due to this closure. Finally something is done correctly. Now if they can just introduce a slot sized limit to protect the big breeders, that would put the icing on the cake!

Barnes19
10-02-2014, 10:41 AM
This is a good thing for Alberta Lakes. Years of scientific research have finally proven that there are not enough lakes in Alberta to sustain a commercial fishery with the population boom that was forecasted 20 years ago. Whitefish choking out lakes? C'mon people. Seriously? There will be more bigger Pike, Walleye and Lake Trout caught in the near future due to this closure. Finally something is done correctly. Now if they can just introduce a slot sized limit to protect the big breeders, that would put the icing on the cake!

I Agree!

NEWB
10-02-2014, 10:48 AM

I don't agree. More people will target them if their numbers increase thus keeping the numbers down. I know I would. Maybe they will clean the lakes up a little as they feed mostly on small worms and bugs if i'm not mistaken.

If I could only catch the illusive white fish.. I had on on the line last year, it spit the hook before I got him through the hole.

The white fish are my Unicoirn. The limits are there to taunt me... :cry:

As for closing the commercial fisheries, I wonder what kind of compensation the government is planning for the commercial fishing field.

I agree closing or reducing the amount of commercial fishing is a step in the right direction to help the lakes thrive.

I wonder if in 5-10 year we will see limits increased or removed on certain lakes for Walleyes and Jack fish.

MoFugger21
10-02-2014, 10:57 AM
It will be interesting to see if/how this change actually affects the lakes in Alberta. But what I'm most interest in, is when people still can't catch larger pike and walleye, what will they blame when they can't blame commercial fishing for their bycatch.... That's for another thread I suppose.... :)

I'm willing to bet we see negligible differences in the short term. I'm hopeful that the change will bring the desired results of more stable pike and walleye fisheries with the expanded food base, but I'm doubtful that we will see that difference. Time will tell.

cougarcreek
10-02-2014, 12:04 PM
I think that this is a step in the right direction but I agree that we also need to protect the big spawners to help balance on the whitefish.

buckman
10-02-2014, 12:28 PM

I did not vote for him.

So its not all lakes as stated, only some of them? Not sure where or what LSL and CL is.

livinstone
10-02-2014, 12:44 PM
now if they put a slot size and allow you to at least have one for the outing l be happy but for now all this totaly release just kepts the man that was shown have to fis hungry.

verado eyes
10-02-2014, 12:45 PM
cold lake is still netted on the sask side, Push to have them bought out

Who Da Fisherman
10-02-2014, 01:05 PM
cold lake is still netted on the sask side, Push to have them bought out

They will probably increase their quota now :)

Kokanee9
10-02-2014, 01:10 PM
"On August 1, 2014, all lakes in Alberta will be closed to commercial fishing.

A provincial assessment and an extensive third-party review have been completed to assess the long-term viability of Alberta’s commercial fishery and determined that Alberta’s commercial fishery is no longer viable.

Closing the commercial fishery is an important step in protecting the long-term sustainability of Alberta’s fishery. The closure will help to ensure we can meet the increasing pressure and demands placed on the province’s limited number of lakes."

Maybe I'm reading too much into the news release, but I have to wonder if more is planned. Increasing the number of C&R lakes as well as lowering catch limits more could be possible in the future and should also be considered now before more lakes collapse.

More people vs. a limited amount of fishable water has only one outcome, and its not good.

What will the effect of no commercial fishing have?

I'm thinking it won't be seen for 2-5 years. The effects will only start to materialize next year when the full #'s of whitefish are able to spawn from this season forward. Definitely the plus side is more food for other species of fish.

In lakes with few predators, an explosion of the whitefish population will be followed by a large increase in the #'s of predators after a couple years have gone by. This secondary increase will only become evident as the increased survival rate of the predators to reach spawning age may take 3-5 years.

Will whitefish dominate some lakes, now that there is no commercial fishing? Perhaps, but I believe that it would only be temporary.

aulrich
10-02-2014, 01:34 PM
I could see recruitment rates of any spring spawning fish dropping like a stone but that could be balance by predation on whitefish fry over the winter

One possible outcome is there will be way more summer kill of whitefish and instead of using a resource, it rots on the beach or we pay to pick it up and haul to a land fill.

I see this as a feel good measure that at best will have no effect, the commercial fishery was not the problem,

Red Bullets
10-02-2014, 01:43 PM
If whitefish numbers increase from not netting them, I predict that the cormorant, pelican, eagle, osprey and other fish bird populations will go up in coming years.

verado eyes
10-02-2014, 03:23 PM
They will probably increase their quota now :)

NOPE Albert SRD dictates cold lake, they want it gone, CUT Cut and shut them down with out paying them out unlike how they paid out the AB Guys, Just pay em out and shut it down and watch the white over populate

huntsfurfish
10-02-2014, 03:49 PM
It will be interesting to see if/how this change actually affects the lakes in Alberta. But what I'm most interest in, is when people still can't catch larger pike and walleye, what will they blame when they can't blame commercial fishing for their bycatch.... That's for another thread I suppose.... :)

I'm willing to bet we see negligible differences in the short term. I'm hopeful that the change will bring the desired results of more stable pike and walleye fisheries with the expanded food base, but I'm doubtful that we will see that difference. Time will tell.

I could see recruitment rates of any spring spawning fish dropping like a stone but that could be balance by predation on whitefish fry over the winter

One possible outcome is there will be way more summer kill of whitefish and instead of using a resource, it rots on the beach or we pay to pick it up and haul to a land fill.

I see this as a feel good measure that at best will have no effect, the commercial fishery was not the problem,

Agree.

Im not convinced this is a good thing. In particular, for the southern reservoirs.

Dacotensis
10-02-2014, 03:57 PM

I had a good talk with a fw officer a few weeks ago about this topic and many other outdoor related themes.
I really wanted to be setting up elk camp. But I enjoyed talking to the officer.

He figured there would be a concern about the white fish as well.
What fish eats a 5lb white in our lakes.

This could be a very viable concern.

But I am also willing to see if the Eco system will stabilize.

aulrich
10-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Mind you given time, white's can grow very large, can you imaging a 20 pounder on a fly rod in open water :)

To really leverage this change they would have to start to protect bigger pike. So something like a kill zone of 63-75 cm then one tag/tear for a pike over 100 cm.

Rabbit Snarer
10-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Whitefish are the only fish productive enough to satisfy the hordes, if they don't ruin the lake over-fishing other species will. It's a win win!

dmcbride
10-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I had a good talk with a fw officer a few weeks ago about this topic and many other outdoor related themes.
I really wanted to be setting up elk camp. But I enjoyed talking to the officer.

He figured there would be a concern about the white fish as well.
What fish eats a 5lb white in our lakes.

This could be a very viable concern.

But I am also willing to see if the Eco system will stabilize.

Big pike will eat 5 lb. white fish.

spinN'flyfish
10-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Odd thing though....... they don't sell 'em in local grocery stores

SNAPFisher
10-02-2014, 10:23 PM

halle-freakin-lujah!! I'll have my sights set on Pigeon again after the recent commercial raping of that lake. This is the best news I've heard!

No crap about the whitefish comment destroying lakes....AJ, are you on friggin dope??? ...don't answer that.

lifesaflyin
10-02-2014, 10:38 PM
halle-freakin-lujah!! I'll have my sights set on Pigeon again after the recent commercial raping of that lake. This is the best news I've heard!

hell yea! love catchin them whites

verado eyes
10-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Mind you given time, white's can grow very large, can you imaging a 20 pounder on a fly rod in open water :)

To really leverage this change they would have to start to protect bigger pike. So something like a kill zone of 63-75 cm then one tag/tear for a pike over 100 cm.

I know people who have caught 21 and 22 lb whites in a net many moons ago

jeprli
10-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Don't forget that we have a carp epidemic, increasing population of whitefish is a good thing, it might keep carp under control within reservoirs.

I'd hook a whitefish over walleye anytime!

Kim473
10-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Don't forget that we have a carp epidemic, increasing population of whitefish is a good thing, it might keep carp under control within reservoirs.

I'd hook a whitefish over walleye anytime!

You must be kidding, right ?

for me,

1st choice = perch
2nd choice = walleye
3rd choice = whites
4th choice = trout
5th choice = pike

Whites are def not the number 1 choice for most. Fun to catch, YES !

Try some perch or walleye boneless fillets cooked properly and I bet you would retract that statement. I would like the white populations to increace but would rather the perch and walleye more. JMO Taste way better!

dmcbride
10-03-2014, 05:29 PM
You must be kidding, right ?

for me,

1st choice = perch
2nd choice = walleye
3rd choice = whites
4th choice = trout
5th choice = pike

Whites are def not the number 1 choice for most. Fun to catch, YES !

Try some perch or walleye boneless fillets cooked properly and I bet you would retract that statement. I would like the white populations to increace but would rather the perch and walleye more. JMO Taste way better!

I honestly prefer a cold water pike or whitefish over walleye and I don't know why so many people want to make trophy walleye lakes. JMO:)

jeprli
10-03-2014, 06:36 PM
I like lake whitefish for sport and sometimes for table.

With lake walleye it's like someone rings a door bell and when you open the door no one's there.

River walleye on the other hand are at least harder to catch, and better conditioned for sportier fight. Plus they tend to grow fairly large compared to lake cousin.

lakerfisher
10-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Whites are spectacular canned. One can hardly tell the difference between canned salmon or whites. And anything done at home is better than out of the processed cans. Add a little chili flakes in the jar and its awesome stuff.

spinN'flyfish
10-03-2014, 10:07 PM
I honestly prefer a cold water pike or whitefish over walleye and I don't know why so many people want to make trophy walleye lakes. JMO:)

Cold water fish taste better to me...... unless its polluted like the bow

wellpastcold
10-05-2014, 04:46 PM

I agree. X 2

catnthehat
10-05-2014, 04:53 PM
I doubt very much if they will shut the native commercial fishing down in Cold Lake, Winifred, Lake Athabasca, etc.
Cat

redcoat01
10-05-2014, 05:03 PM
I believe the battle has just started. What happens to the Commercial Fishing licences . These Commercial Fisherman have thousands invested in gear and boats. Is the Province of Alberta going to pay them out . Civil Litigation maybe ?

Rockjockey
10-05-2014, 05:09 PM
I believe the battle has just started. What happens to the Commercial Fishing licences . These Commercial Fisherman have thousands invested in gear and boats. Is the Province of Alberta going to pay them out . Civil Litigation maybe ?

Amen Cat.

Try finding the tonnage of fish taken by native nets from Alberta lakes for subsistence.

redcoat01
10-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Amen Cat.

Try finding the tonnage of fish taken by native nets from Alberta lakes for subsistence.

Has anybody ever asked ESRD that question ?

moose maniac
10-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Amen Cat.

Try finding the tonnage of fish kept by anglers every year I would bet its much greater than native/metis fishing

Lefty-Canuck
10-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Try finding the tonnage of fish kept by anglers every year I would bet its much greater than native/metis fishing

Even from waters that have no retention limit? Trout ponds don't count :)

LC

PlatinumBarMan
10-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Glad to hear! This is great news.

For those worried about whitefish taking over and choking out all the other species, think of the "untouched" lakes in Northern Alberta with whites in them. These lakes aren't commercial fished and whites up to and over 5 lbs cohabit the lakes with many other species (including up to 50 lb jacks).

cube
10-06-2014, 04:30 PM

X2

Supergrit
10-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Lake white fish on fly rod is the best sport fish in alberta. I hope some of lakes they come back to how they were.

huntsfurfish
10-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Glad to hear! This is great news.

For those worried about whitefish taking over and choking out all the other species, think of the "untouched" lakes in Northern Alberta with whites in them. These lakes aren't commercial fished and whites up to and over 5 lbs cohabit the lakes with many other species (including up to 50 lb jacks).

The key word "untouched" yes there is a natural balance.

In lakes/reservoirs that are fished by man, and the predator fish(walleye/pike) being removed the natural balance is gone!

mclean
10-07-2014, 08:15 PM
The key word "untouched" yes there is a natural balance.

In lakes/reservoirs that are fished by man, and the predator fish(walleye/pike) being removed the natural balance is gone!
Name a lake or reservoir that has been taken over by white-fish that is not being commercial netted in Alta. Or Sask.
Chin Res. , Travers, are 2 res. that have not been netted for years and doing just fine.

huntsfurfish
10-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Name a lake or reservoir that has been taken over by white-fish that is not being commercial netted in Alta. Or Sask.
Chin Res. , Travers, are 2 res. that have not been netted for years and doing just fine.

Never said anything about taking over.:)

Stewie
10-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Great news

mclean
10-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Never said anything about taking over.:)

But you said the natural balance has been removed, So what is wrong with that, the decision to eliminate commercial netting in Alberta is a very good move.

Who Da Fisherman
10-08-2014, 01:48 PM

Didn't they just shut down the walleye in Travers? Yep doing great!

mclean
10-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Didn't they just shut down the walleye in Travers? Yep doing great!

Correct, but we are talking about effects of commercial fishing on lakes and res. in Alberta.

Who Da Fisherman
10-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Correct, but we are talking about effects of commercial fishing on lakes and res. in Alberta.

Exactly, used to be netted and then shut down.
With the closure these lakes are are going to spike and fall in all kinds of different directions, it will take many-many years before they level off. Shutting it down is not the right way of doing things but hey it was easiest for them this way.
More monitoring and slot limits or tags would have been better but too late now.
Let's review this subject in 2-3 years and see how the fishing is, my 2 cents.
WDF

mclean
10-09-2014, 05:41 AM
Exactly, used to be netted and then shut down.
With the closure these lakes are are going to spike and fall in all kinds of different directions, it will take many-many years before they level off. Shutting it down is not the right way of doing things but hey it was easiest for them this way.
More monitoring and slot limits or tags would have been better but too late now.
Let's review this subject in 2-3 years and see how the fishing is, my 2 cents.
WDF
The walleye fishery at Travers was shut down as result of 1 test netting and Terry Clayton, the person in charge of the fishery at the time, said that the test netting showed that there was a shortage of walleye in the 4 and 5 year class, so instead of using the option of reducing the daily walleye limit from 3 fish to 1 fish over 50 cm. or 1 fish over 55 cm. He Terry Clayton had the walleye at Travers shut down. On a body of water the size of Travers i feel more than 1 test netting and at different locations on the reservoir should have been done to get a more accurate fish count before making a major decision as to shut down the walleye fishery on Travers.
When the walleye fishery is again opened on Travers, I see it being on a tag system. And this was not a result of commercial netting.

Winch101
10-09-2014, 08:12 AM
When the WR take over ,I plan on starting a campaign to have
People like Clayton fired .....a dubious test netting ....the report
Is fictitious ....no creel census .....a snow job.

Late fall test in places that never hold walleyes ....

It s a load

Don Andersen
10-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Something that must be born in mind is the result of oil tankers ending up in Wab. By the accounts posted on this site, the fishery has got a whole lot better.
However, ESRD tends to manage a single fish in a lake rather than looking at the lake as a whole and managing all fish. Typically you cannot manage the predator w/o managing the prey.
And Winch - here I thought that everything was JT's fault. You blaming someone else shocks me.

Don

chriscosta
10-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Here a thought maybe the pike will turn to eating whites ..instead of the walleye and perch since theyre so spiny in return would be bigger pike more walleye and perch of bigger sizes and a balanced whitefish population ...cuz lets face it i bet pike put a bigger dent on walleye and perch than angling hands down....just a thought tho

Winch101
10-09-2014, 08:51 AM
But I would not be surprised if quite a few Alberta Govt employees
get a Xmas card every year from the Liberal Party .

If the Outdoor resource in Alberta suffer from anything ,it's the
Obvious unilateral decisions made by people in charge .
Generally a forum is held before decisions are made
not after . But the SRD was just following in the footsteps
Of their leader Kim Yun Redford . The red Tories blunder on .
I'm sure before the final act more stupidity , enjoy your bone
Commercial fishing closed, you can only imagine what that's going to
Cost the taxpayer .

Penner
10-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Brought a tear to my eye (tear of joy) hearing Commercial is being shut-down.

However, ESRD tends to manage a single fish in a lake rather than looking at the lake as a whole and managing all fish. Typically you cannot manage the predator w/o managing the prey. Don

Bingo. Addtionally I believe an entire fisheries "area" needs to be managed and not just a singular water body. Ex: You can't close down 1 lake in an area , You must close down several lakes otherwise anglers will simply focus their target onto the lake(s) still open.

ddddd05
10-18-2014, 12:10 AM
Great to hear commercial fishing has stopped. I hate to see nice whites being sold as dog food. Let the anglers catch them.

gloszz
10-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Commercial fishing might be shut down but Natives will still continue to fish when our season is over and then leave thousands of fish on the ice.

jacenbeers
10-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Commercial fishing might be shut down but Natives will still continue to fish when our season is over and then leave thousands of fish on the ice.

What is your point?

wags
10-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Great to hear commercial fishing has stopped. I hate to see nice whites being sold as dog food. Let the anglers catch them.

My dog disagrees with this post. She likes her food with Whites in it. She likes the Walleye food more though.

gloszz
10-21-2014, 06:03 PM
What is your point?

I'm not sure how you do not get what I am trying to say...
Commercial fishing has ceased to exist in Alberta. Natives still have the right to fish using nets... That is doing more harm to fishing than a fisherman with one pole and a limit.

If you still do not get my point then what I am saying is if Natives were to stop fishing with nets then that would be something to be happy about.

MoFugger21
10-21-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure how you do not get what I am trying to say...
Commercial fishing has ceased to exist in Alberta. Natives still have the right to fish using nets... That is doing more harm to fishing than a fisherman with one pole and a limit.

If you still do not get my point then what I am saying is if Natives were to stop fishing with nets then that would be something to be happy about.

That's a pretty ignorant statement.

gloszz
10-21-2014, 08:24 PM
That's a pretty ignorant statement.

Ignorant would be in me lacking knowledge on the topic or being unaware of the situation. Go to any of the lakes in the winter time and see how many pike, burbot and walleye are on the ice... Then if you can prove me wrong I will admit I am ignorant.

MoFugger21
10-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Ignorant would be in me lacking knowledge on the topic or being unaware of the situation. Go to any of the lakes in the winter time and see how many pike, burbot and walleye are on the ice... Then if you can prove me wrong I will admit I am ignorant.

If you're saying that ANY of the lakes (inferring all of them) in the winter has fish laying all over the ice due the reasons you are stating, then yes, you do lack the knowledge and are very ignorant with your comments. Have a good day.

gloszz
10-21-2014, 10:30 PM
I am sorry I forgot to include the lakes where commercial fishing used to be allowed. My bad. Are you Native? I have a feeling you're offended because of that reason and not because I am "ignorant".

MoFugger21
10-21-2014, 10:57 PM
I am sorry I forgot to include the lakes where commercial fishing used to be allowed. My bad. Are you Native? I have a feeling you're offended because of that reason and not because I am "ignorant".

I shouldn't even dignify the above with a response, but I'd love to see the list of lakes where this is supposedly taking place, along with any proof you have... Don't worry, I'll wait....

MoFugger21
10-21-2014, 10:59 PM

And for the record, this is what I'm refering to....

jacenbeers
10-22-2014, 07:27 AM
I shouldn't even dignify the above with a response, but I'd love to see the list of lakes where this is supposedly taking place, along with any proof you have... Don't worry, I'll wait....

I agree that it is ignorant. I icefish a lot and on a lot of different lakes and I have never seen piles of dead fish. The only lake where I have seen this is Pine Coulee and there were piles of burbots left by ignorant white dudes.

dodgeboy1979
10-22-2014, 10:23 AM
I agree that it is ignorant. I icefish a lot and on a lot of different lakes and I have never seen piles of dead fish. The only lake where I have seen this is Pine Coulee and there were piles of burbots left by ignorant white dudes.

I agree the comment is ignorant too, however i seen this take place 3 winters ago on cold lake where the F&W came across lake trout that were left to spoil on the ice as well as they hauled in a net that was in the water too long. I believe there were approx 100 trout that were found spoiled.

Drewski Canuck
10-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Commercial fishers are their own worst enemy.

At Calling Lake there are typically 30 - 40 license holders, and tons of whitefish. Not uncommon to see 60 - 100 whites in a net on a daily pull. Whites are big because of the mesh size used.

On of the commercials fishes out from the town site, and has 6 nets. A couple of years ago he fished 5 days before the walleye quota was hit. Whitefish quota was never reached. $5 a fish, its a pretty good gig.

Problem is that whites are hard to catch in a lot of our northern lakes as they are in 30 - 60 FOW. They are stuffed full of what looks to be a small red blood worm, a larvae stage of I believe may flies. Hard to fish a wire worm that deep so few rec anglers ever get whites.

Last year, 5 of the Commies got together, and set their nets in the area north of VW point. They averaged 31 walleye per net on the first pull, and that was quite a few nets!!! Of course large walleye are $5 a pound, and at that mesh size, we are talking about 6- 10 pd fish, breeding fish, that the rec fishers are not allowed to keep.

Needless to say, these geniuses had the commercial netting shut down the next day, meaning 2 pulls for everyone else, as walleye quota of 500 kg had been reached. Whitefish quota was never reached.

You do know that you can fish whites in the fall in pound trap net setups, when they come in to spawn in the shallows in October, right? You then pick and choose the whites and return all else, IF YOU WANT TO. Golly, you then have so called "Golden caviar".

That is why the commercial fishing has to be shut down. These guys are too smart for their own good, and lets face it, none of them make a living off it anyway, and none of them pay the province a part of the catch. All they did was get greedy and hammer the fish that would have spawned in the spring that everyone prizes.

Drewski

verado eyes
10-22-2014, 03:42 PM

At Calling Lake there are typically 30 - 40 license holders, and tons of whitefish. Not uncommon to see 60 - 100 whites in a net on a daily pull. Whites are big because of the mesh size used.

On of the commercials fishes out from the town site, and has 6 nets. A couple of years ago he fished 5 days before the walleye quota was hit. Whitefish quota was never reached. $5 a fish, its a pretty good gig.

Problem is that whites are hard to catch in a lot of our northern lakes as they are in 30 - 60 FOW. They are stuffed full of what looks to be a small red blood worm, a larvae stage of I believe may flies. Hard to fish a wire worm that deep so few rec anglers ever get whites.

Last year, 5 of the Commies got together, and set their nets in the area north of VW point. They averaged 31 walleye per net on the first pull, and that was quite a few nets!!! Of course large walleye are $5 a pound, and at that mesh size, we are talking about 6- 10 pd fish, breeding fish, that the rec fishers are not allowed to keep.

Needless to say, these geniuses had the commercial netting shut down the next day, meaning 2 pulls for everyone else, as walleye quota of 500 kg had been reached. Whitefish quota was never reached.

You do know that you can fish whites in the fall in pound trap net setups, when they come in to spawn in the shallows in October, right? You then pick and choose the whites and return all else, IF YOU WANT TO. Golly, you then have so called "Golden caviar".

That is why the commercial fishing has to be shut down. These guys are too smart for their own good, and lets face it, none of them make a living off it anyway, and none of them pay the province a part of the catch. All they did was get greedy and hammer the fish that would have spawned in the spring that everyone prizes.

Drewski

People use this as a second income, infact in Saskatchewan I know people who its there main income, Yes main income, not a lot but that's all he makes, Commercial fishing has been on some lakes longer than 95% of us, My dad has been fishing primrose for over 50 years now,

Badlildoggy
10-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Just my 2 Cents......,

I have lived in Alberta my whole life, I have been an avid outdoorsmen my whole life. I have personally noticed substantial changes in many fisheries over the years, and seemingly for the worse. I am sure this for many different reasons aside from the commercial fishery. I just want to regurgitate a little of what has already been said regarding human population increase vs. useable fisheries etc. I feel deeply for the families and the people that earned money from the commercial fishery however my gut tells me and has told me for a while, that Alberta lakes can no longer support this activity. I am old enough to remember much greater angling limits in Alberta and now our lakes cannot barely support a limit to have a fish-fry once or twice a year ......That is all I ever wanted. As a Father to a 3 year old son, this is horribly disappointing. I am in support of any conservation measures that reduce the numbers of fish harvested in hopes that I can teach my son to clean a few fish again one day....... My fear with eliminating the Legal Commercial Fishery is that it will encourage and grow the already lucrative Black Market trade of fish.....

CanuckShooter
10-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Does Alberta have a hatchery program?? I know they can help a lot with fish populations.....

pikergolf
10-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Just my 2 Cents......,

I have lived in Alberta my whole life, I have been an avid outdoorsmen my whole life. I have personally noticed substantial changes in many fisheries over the years, and seemingly for the worse. I am sure this for many different reasons aside from the commercial fishery. I just want to regurgitate a little of what has already been said regarding human population increase vs. useable fisheries etc. I feel deeply for the families and the people that earned money from the commercial fishery however my gut tells me and has told me for a while, that Alberta lakes can no longer support this activity. I am old enough to remember much greater angling limits in Alberta and now our lakes cannot barely support a limit to have a fish-fry once or twice a year ......That is all I ever wanted. As a Father to a 3 year old son, this is horribly disappointing. I am in support of any conservation measures that reduce the numbers of fish harvested in hopes that I can teach my son to clean a few fish again one day....... My fear with eliminating the Legal Commercial Fishery is that it will encourage and grow the already lucrative Black Market trade of fish.....

Target whites and you'll be able to have those fish fries.

AlbertaCutthroat
10-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Target whites and you'll be able to have those fish fries.

X2, they are thicker than suckers and easy to catch.

slough shark
10-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Maybe mcgregor will be worth fishing again on early ice in a couple years, also sylvan and gull ought to improve so that's good :sHa_shakeshout:

Bushmonkey
10-22-2014, 10:37 PM

Drewski

Got to say this is generally what I see as well.