PDA

View Full Version : I coulda been a contender!

FreshAirGetter
10-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Well, a little late, i finally discovered the open water derby sticky i've been hearing about (sadly it was the 1st thread on top!). Can't believe i didn't look there before, figured the stickies were old threads, but that is one i wished i saw earlier! It's basically what i did this year, go after all the species. Although i can't count any of mine (did not follow guidelines such as pics with tape and card, etc.) i'm happy knowing that in my first full year of fishing (i started aug 2013) i could've been a contender for this highly coveted position of Ultimate Alberta Angler..lol. Using the applicable dates april to oct this year, i caught 16 species of the list (caught more but was earlier than april) and "under-measured" them totalling about 235 inches, which i think puts me in current top spot. My fish are all smaller though except i have a larger pike than caught in the competition, goldeye, and a sucker. Rest i'm way short, and i don't even have a lake trout or burbot in this time period. If my fish counted i would go try getting them but they won't so forget it... Lol. But i can end the year with a smile knowing i'm doing okay with my new favorite addiction :)

ETOWNCANUCK
10-03-2014, 12:31 AM
You have some nice pics and your numbers look to be pretty impressive...
Where/When did you find the time to get it all done?

Brandonkop
10-03-2014, 12:34 AM
That is a long list of a fish count. Do you carry a clicker? How do you keep track of every fish. I've always been curious how people are doing this.

RavYak
10-03-2014, 12:52 AM
That is a long list of a fish count. Do you carry a clicker? How do you keep track of every fish. I've always been curious how people are doing this.

I can't speak for him but I usually keep track in my head and a couple times have used my phone when catching a whole bunch. Probably off the odd fish but close enough for me.

Bigdad013
10-03-2014, 04:08 AM

I keep a journal so to speak on the boat. (Spreadsheet) It includes date, time, lure, depth, water temp, weather, location, species. Been doing this for 10 years now. Comes in very handy, if having a hard time getting fish. Just go back into a few pages for same time period and find what was working then.

jspar
10-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Looks like you have had quite the year. Good on ya. That's a beauty Golden!

waterninja
10-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Looks like you have had quite the year. Good on ya. That's a beauty Golden!
I used to simply mark down on a calender how many of each species I caught on any given day.

Opps...that should have been brandonkops quote.

FreshAirGetter
10-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Haha, sounds like you all have different ideas on how to track. It's a pain, but I text my brother every fish. If I'm in a position where I'm catching a lot of fish in one hour, I count each fish in a location, then once we leave that location I text that fish count in one batch. I started off texting "Jack 1" Jack 1 Jack 1 and added, then finally clued in to add them and go Jack 1, J 2, J 3, so at the end of the day my last texts would say "J 40, W 3". (40 Jacks, 3 Walleye). I would measure and weigh only what might be my record, but if I had the fish out too long I would just throw it back, so unfortunately I didn't even measure my biggest pike, and I only measured 1 Grayling, etc. I kept screenshots of all my texts and pics, and have them stored in a folder on my computer. I update an excel spreadsheet after every trip, and go back and verify once in awhile to make sure. Only sucky part is having to take a break from catching to text, which sometimes involves a jack slimy hand on my phone! Oh, I also sometimes video tape which helps verify as well.

syncronized77
10-03-2014, 10:38 AM
You have some nice pics and your numbers look to be pretty impressive...
Where/When did you find the time to get it all done?

My thoughts exactly....when do you find the time to go fishing so often??

Congrats on your list!

FreshAirGetter
10-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Oh sorry, forgot to reply to that comment! I'm a single dad and my daughter goes to see her mom every 2nd weekend - so I fish every second weekend...lol. She's going to live with her mom for Jan 1st so I'll be able to pick it up a notch...haha...can fish the river in any evening. I've definitely been a fish addict this year, very rarely missing a "2nd weekend". Even for Thanksgiving coming up my dad called and told me he'd like to cook a turkey. I told him that I'd love to come, but unfortunately I'd be fishing. He understands my obsession and said he'll cook the turkey before the weekend and then send me away with turkey sandwiches...hahahaha

huntsfurfish
10-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Next year! This year was just practice.:)

FreshAirGetter
10-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Haha yep, i guess so. My biggest weaknesses are Lake Trout and Lake Whitefish. I'm weak at pretty much everything else too, but those are my major problems. Oh well, guess if it was that easy I'd get bored?

binnzer32
10-03-2014, 02:38 PM
I think if I kept track I would be up there, but I choose not to. I can tell you that if the derby consisted of people who worked 70-80 hours I got it beat hands down.

FreshAirGetter
10-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I can guarantee there are probably 50 fishermen in Alberta with way more impressive results. I'm a newb and I know it, but with any luck I'll keep learning!

FreshAirGetter
10-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Main reason I've been keeping track is due to my 2014 Goal to catch one of every species. Once I made the goal my friend and brother decided to join in and make it a bit more competitive, adding weight, length, and fish count. In retrospect I'm kind of glad, maybe it can help me look back and see if time of year affects fishing (which I'm sure it does), etc...the more stats the better. Of course I'm no where near the AO member who said he keeps things like temperature, depth, etc...although I would agree that it would be beneficial. To me though I don't care if there's a lower chance of catching fish or not, rain snow or shine if I have the time I'm going fishing!

RavYak
10-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I think if I kept track I would be up there, but I choose not to. I can tell you that if the derby consisted of people who worked 70-80 hours I got it beat hands down.

And why did you choose not to enter? Just couldn't be bothered since there are no prizes? Or refuse to enter because I am in it? lol...

Too bad there wasn't more involvement this year, next year I hope we can get some more people involved and make things even better. Not sure if the current organizers are going to do it next year since they have kind of disappeared but if they aren't going to do it I think I will because I think fun competitions like the derby are a good thing to have on here.

binnzer32
10-03-2014, 05:56 PM
I chose not to enter because fishing for me is all about my own personal goals, not to gloat about what I have caught. .. Each season I set a few goals: this year was a sturgeon and a 10 lb eye. Next season I think a 12 lb eye and a Fraser river sturgeon... also I don't really fish the river or agree with all the species included.... for those trolls ready to pounce that is my opinion. . Relax.... Also don't think it's fair for those ppl who don't work and only fish, clearly the more rod hours you put in the higher your odds of catching are that Is unless it's you ravyak haaaa just jokin buddy.. Not trying to discredit anyone in the derby, I do enjoy checking out the thread and to those at the top good job. Also a great job to the original OP on a season full of species. I envy that. .. awesome.

And why did you choose not to enter? Just couldn't be bothered since there are no prizes? Or refuse to enter because I am in it? lol...

Too bad there wasn't more involvement this year, next year I hope we can get some more people involved and make things even better. Not sure if the current organizers are going to do it next year since they have kind of disappeared but if they aren't going to do it I think I will because I think fun competitions like the derby are a good thing to have on here.

RavYak
10-03-2014, 06:20 PM
I chose not to enter because fishing for me is all about my own personal goals, not to gloat about what I have caught. .. Each season I set a few goals: this year was a sturgeon and a 10 lb eye. Next season I think a 12 lb eye and a Fraser river sturgeon... also I don't really fish the river or agree with all the species included.... for those trolls ready to pounce that is my opinion. . Relax.... Also don't think it's fair for those ppl who don't work and only fish, clearly the more rod hours you put in the higher your odds of catching are that Is unless it's you ravyak haaaa just jokin buddy.. Not trying to discredit anyone in the derby, I do enjoy checking out the thread and to those at the top good job. Also a great job to the original OP on a season full of species. I envy that. .. awesome.

Lol always have to be worried about the river police :scared:

The only species in the derby I disagree with is all the different suckers. I think they should all be in one category because really who cares about suckers...

The main reason I have enjoyed the derby is that it has got me out and given me a reason to do some trips that I wouldn't normally have done. It is a contributing factor to me having already caught 9 new species this summer and I am still hoping to add a couple more before the season is done.

binnzer32
10-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Right on. Have at er man. The more the merrier.
.slay emLol always have to be worried about the river police :scared:

The only species in the derby I disagree with is all the different suckers. I think they should all be in one category because really who cares about suckers...

The main reason I have enjoyed the derby is that it has got me out and given me a reason to do some trips that I wouldn't normally have done. It is a contributing factor to me having already caught 9 new species this summer and I am still hoping to add a couple more before the season is done.

FreshAirGetter
10-03-2014, 10:44 PM
I agree with rav, it would be nicer to see more involvement. I thought retirees or rig workers would blow me out of the water, but turns out i'd be in great shape just fishing a couple times a month. It doesn't cost to join, so surprised not more. But for me i did my own species list as a personal goal to gain experience and travel alberta, and it's been one of my favorite years. Plus it has to be healthier than playing halo or poker..assuming i don't die of dehydration, a bear, a cougar, falling through ice again, etc... :) Rav i'll join next year, as long as i don't get too far in debt from this year...lol

PlatinumBarMan
10-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Hey bro I just signed up! Here's my stats so far, although eventually I got tired of counting some species so I just capped jack and perch at 200 and walleye at 50.

2014 Fish Count

3 Arctic Grayling
21 Brook Trout
2 Brown Trout
9 Bull Trout
2 Burbot
7 Cutthroat Trout
1 Golden Trout
3 Goldeye
1 Lake Trout
1 Lake Sturgeon
2 Lake Whitefish
1 Mooneye
200+ Northern Pike
3 Northern White sucker
2 Rainbow Trout
1 Redhorse sucker
50+ Walleye
200+ Yellow Perch

Not including golden, grayling or sturgeon my total length is 229 inches

FreshAirGetter
10-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Why not grayling? And i hope u didn't count bulls, and any species prior to april like maybe your perch..but welcome to the forum :)