PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunter Ethic"s

L.O.S.T.Arrow
10-03-2014, 10:46 AM
:D After seeing the "Hunting Thieves" it saddens me to see the times we are in...its obviously these are not just some non bowhunting locals or weekend warrior "city" hunters...

The way they are kitted up shows they are serious bow hunters...and sadly thieves..

Its sad to see...

I have had stands and blinds stole...and always pictured non bowhunting locals or weekend warrior "city" hunters...as the culprits...but now this year my view has changed...

This fall I got into a stand well hidden deep in thick bush...went to hang my bow and the bow holder was gone...as well as my pack hook on back of tree for my pack.

When it got daylight...tired of holding bow on my lap I looked to where the bow holder was and couldnt believe what I saw...

Some bowhunter that obviously used my stand last fall took the time to carve in the tree with his hunting knife..." Just be thankfull I left the stand"

:sign0161: ... well if it wasnt a mile in the middle of a bush and a walk in zone only...he/they may have stole that too...

It was only $25.00 worth of stuff...but it was just the ethics and audacity of a fellow bowhunter...

We need to weed these punks out ...post their full face pics , where they work or go to school, full name on facebook, sites like this and anywhere any hunter and the general public will see...

grrrr

your thoughts?

Neil

edmhunter
10-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Unbelievable eh!

I have had tree cams stolen as well, 2 in fact. Now even when I hunt on private property I use a chain and big lock to lock my Lone Wolf stand to the tree.

What I would give to find one of these MF’s in the act, stealing stuff. It would not be pretty! :argue2:

L.O.S.T.Arrow
10-03-2014, 11:15 AM
:D BTW I had a trail cam up at at that stand last year...As I did this year but since I got my bull elk early I took them down...
Cept this year I had a second trail cam also...on the first cam...which are now on the trails well hidden...

So if I am hosting the same scum this year in the stand that took me much time scouting setting up etc....than steals new bowholder on way out....I will have a good frontal pic...

We had a portable on 20 inch thick tree last year...removable steps and chained and locked...
they came in with a chainsaw...cut down tree across farmers fence...cut tree again at stand and slide treestand off chain and lock included....lost a good tree also... :scared0015:

Neil

Mike_W
10-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Neil it's sad that these so called hunters are thieves. They and anyone like them are scum!!

Your and many others biggest mistake is thinking "city slickers" are responsible for theft, trespassing and other vandalism. In my experience it is local farm punks and good ole boys doing most of the trespassing theft and vandalism!

Alberta Bigbore
10-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Im down a cam on private property. Still makes me mad lol

edmhunter
10-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Neil it's sad that these so called hunters are thieves. They and anyone like them are scum!!

Your and many others biggest mistake is thinking "city slickers" are responsible for theft, trespassing and other vandalism. In my experience it is local farm punks and good ole boys doing most of the trespassing theft and vandalism!

I tend to agree, most city kids are smoking meth these days so they are not in the bush!

Congrats on the elk Neil, do you have a picture. Heading out in an hour to try to anchor a bull Moose with my Vapor!

Dan4570
10-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Terrible that hunters steal from other hunters. Just had my hunting partner retrieve my card from camera at one location for me. And looked at the pics. Multiple people walking by and noone took my blind or cam (neither locked) im thankful theres still some honest people out there.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
10-03-2014, 12:55 PM

:D Mike Dont get me wrong ...I know better...hence why I had "City" in quotaion marks... when anything happens out there no matter where you go. its always them "non hunting locals" or them "city hunters" ...but we know better...

As we can see as you say and its also right in our bowhunting circle...

Neil

L.O.S.T.Arrow
10-03-2014, 01:14 PM
:D Worst case I heard of is a guy I know and a buddy set up a full camp high in the mountains...complete with wall tent, thunder box, food in bear proof tree, cots and everything they needed for a week hunting trip...it was so far back it took three hours on the off highway machine of the time Honda Trikes...

it took them many trips up hauling stuff in and setting up...

Come hunting season they left a couple days early to scout etc.. when they left the trucks with the final load it was starting to snow...and as we all know in the mountain bad can get worst in minutes...

Half way there there was a foot and a half of snow and growing deeper...about a mile from camp they got stuck with the trikes because the snow was too deep...so they loaded what they could and walked the rest of the way in...

as they reached camp it was starting to get dark.... and in their horror there was nothing left but the tree tent frame and cut ropes hanging left...they stole everything...I mean everything...toilet seat and toliet paper out of imporovised thunder box...even took the hard garbage,bottles and can bag...

they had no choice but to walk back out...by time they got back to the trikes there was no hope of moving them so they had to walk the entire way out back to the trucks...it was morning by time they crawled up to the trucks...

Absolute life threatning situation... a death penalty case for the scum thieves if I ever heard one...

Neil

LA_bowhunter
10-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Its very sad that this happens regardless of who is doing it. I have property in northern alberta (Peace river area but live in Lethbridge) and I hunt for a week or so every year in late November. I call some of the local landowners or drop by when I am in the area and get permission every year. Most tell me I dont have to do it every year and I am always welcome to go. I figure I should do it every year just to be on the safe side. Always have a coffee and shoot the breeze but the conversation almost always leads to the landowner complaining that many of the "locals" never ask permission and they wish they were more like myself. I know you say "city" folks but the reality is that it is almost always the locals that are the culprits and my example is just another story of the "locals" thinking they are above the rules and general good etiquette of responsible hunting.

SCHOOCH
10-03-2014, 04:35 PM
City or Country, there are idiot thieves everywhere.......SAD

Erickson87
10-03-2014, 05:04 PM
City or Country, there are idiot thieves everywhere.......SAD

X2. There is thieves everywhere these days. Its the world we live in. But there is still respectful people from the "city" and the country. Some areas are definitely worse than others tho.

wbl170
10-04-2014, 12:11 AM
You have already covered what i was going to say. It's not always the city guys.

Leafy
10-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Very WIDE brush you are painting the "rural" community with :mad0030:

Thieves are just that, all different sizes and shapes but to allude your experiences to local farm kids and good ole boys is asinine really.

You and others that think this way should ensure you let those know your feelings / experiences when asking permission to access their lands...

Terrible to loose gear, but in todays society, well it should be expected if left unattended.

Lefty-Canuck
10-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I have often wondered the definition of a city/ country guy?

I grew up on a farm and did farm like things when I was younger....my wife works at a farm and owns horses....

Yet we live in a small town....

Are we farm or city folks? Just trying to decide which one of the posters in this thread hsd offended me and my lifestyle :)

Because really who cars where thieves hang their hats...they are still lowlife scumbags...regardless of proximity to Walmart.

LC

heretohunt
10-04-2014, 11:08 AM

I grew up on a farm and did farm like things when I was younger....my wife works at a farm and owns horses....

Are we farm or city folks? Just trying to decide which one of the posters in this thread hsd offended me and my lifestyle :)

Because really who cars where thieves hang their hats...they are still lowlife scumbags...regardless of proximity to Walmart.

LC

"Like"

L.O.S.T.Arrow
10-04-2014, 02:29 PM

LC

:D Well said... lol
Wish people would read my post regarding what was meant by "city folk" before posting...
Neil

Mickey
10-04-2014, 02:59 PM
I often think that there is no way a city punk would be back far enough to steal some of the things that go missing, or are they educated enough in the woods to even know where to look.

That leaves the outdoors community to do this to each other.

Know how hot fishing and hunting spots are guarded, same thing applies here. People don't want you encroaching on what they think is their spot.

I am so happy to have my own place to hunt. I can't even imagine the rage that I would fly into if someone stole all my stuff and carved a message in a tree for me.

I am sure that some of the scum bags that do this type of stuff may even be regulars on this message board.

kujoseto
10-04-2014, 03:27 PM
LC, well said.
Neil, that message in the tree is probably what would upset me the most. It goes to show the deliberation involved. It'd be fortunate if he was at the bottom of the stand with two broken legs and your other camera in his bag the next time you show up. Call the police and chit talk him until they arrive.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
10-04-2014, 06:00 PM
LC, well said.
Neil, that message in the tree is probably what would upset me the most. It goes to show the deliberation involved. It'd be fortunate if he was at the bottom of the stand with two broken legs and your other camera in his bag the next time you show up. Call the police and chit talk him until they arrive.

:D LOL I swear that is true. ..will take pic next time I am in there.

Btw. Am I allowed to gently poje him with a sharp stick while we wait?...lol

3blade
10-04-2014, 10:21 PM
:D LOL I swear that is true. ..will take pic next time I am in there.

Btw. Am I allowed to gently poje him with a sharp stick while we wait?...lol

The bottoms fall outta home made treestands sometimes..... what happens in the woods stays in the woods

LeroyvdH
10-06-2014, 01:50 PM
I can't figure out what goes through this peoples heads... I've seen seen stands blinds camaras you name it... I'll go hunt elsewhere from a guys stand.. Honour is doing the right thing when nobodies watching... Scum is scum
Leroy

nekred
10-07-2014, 10:39 PM
idiots are idiots regardless of geography....

We found out on of the worst thieves that stole fuel and all sorts of things from our farm was a neighbouring "country boy" worst poachers were locals who would shoot something on their own back forty out of season.

Yet there would be city slickers who were also idiots such as the guy who drove through our crop and tried to kick me off our own land.

then there are the locals who help their neighbours such as when my dad was hurt and they pulled into field with their combines and helped usbharvest. or the city friends who would drive on out and come for a visit and help at branding time every year. Or those who would come along in the fall and share a cup of coffee and some pepperoni they had done at last years harvest. Or tuose who would come out and shoot some coyotes in feb. Or cone out when we were calving and take a few shifts!

Idiots are idiots andgood guys good guys regardless of home location!

waterninja
10-08-2014, 07:11 AM
I often think that there is no way a city punk would be back far enough to steal some of the things that go missing, or are they educated enough in the woods to even know where to look.

Know how hot fishing and hunting spots are guarded, same thing applies here. People don't want you encroaching on what they think is their spot.

I am so happy to have my own place to hunt. I can't even imagine the rage that I would fly into if someone stole all my stuff and carved a message in a tree for me.

I am sure that some of the scum bags that do this type of stuff may even be regulars on this message board.
I don't know Mickey. I for one don't believe that "regulars" on AO would be that low. When i'm out hunting and fishing and get to talking with other outdoorsmen/women (esp.fishing) I am always surprised at how many of them have never even heard of AO. Ther are a lot of hunters and fishermen in AB and only a small part are AO members.

That said, I once stole a trailcam. Years ago (before joining AO) I came across a pile of grain while hunting. While looking the situation over I noticed a cam off to the side. I never even knew about cams at that time and thought I had stumbled across a "poacher pit". Even worse I figured fish and game might have put the camera there and now my pic. was on it. Only thing I could think of was take the cam. Talking to relatives later i was educated on use of cams for scouting. Talked to some local landowners and returned camera to owner with no hard feelings (even got some extra land permission).
Since then I have walked by some cams in the bush and I always smile and wave to the cam and move on.

muzzy
10-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Speaking of finding them at bottom of stand...when I was in manitoba I went out hunting one morning only to find a hunter in my stand. I politely told him thats my stand and you'll have to get out out. He non politely told me he wasnt moving. So I politely opened my pack, pulled out my folding saw and started politely started to saw the tree down. When he saw what I was doing he quickly scurried down and hit the ground running, never to be seen again. Mom always told me it was proper to be polite and would get the best results!!

Luxor
10-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I tend to agree, most city kids are smoking meth these days so they are not in the bush!

Congrats on the elk Neil, do you have a picture. Heading out in an hour to try to anchor a bull Moose with my Vapor!

Do you really believe that MOST city kids are doing meth? That's a pretty narrow minded and unrealistic belief. Just because someone is not an outdoors person does not mean they are doing drugs. Give your head a shake. Theft has no social or geographic limits.
I see your suspended so no need to reply.
But take some time to rethink the status of city kids.
Unfortunately there is no failsafe method to avoid theft anywhere. And posting someone's picture with a thief label can get into legal problems especially if no conviction has occurred.

wags
10-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Well sir, you can stop thinking. Believe it or not, some of us 'city slickers' are outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen. Virtually every hunter I know is a 'city slicker'. Some of the best fishing is done not in the city! (Crazy, I know).

So yes, sometimes we're back in the bush far enough. And some of us have been edumacated enough as well to know where a trail cam might be situated.

Maybe instead of blaming 'city slickers' or 'the outdoors community' you can come to realize that some are both in the same, and what you're really looking for is a scumbag who steals.

Cheers

L.O.S.T.Arrow
10-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Everyone done hi-jacking the thread????

For the last time This post is not about city or country folk...

Its about ethics...lets use some!!

C Taylor
10-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Something to keep in mind if your leaving a stand in a tree.
I've never stole a stand but have cut a lot of trees down with stands in them, while clearing for powerlines. Best I can do is try an fall a tree so the stand doesn't get squashed to bad. Then leave it by the block pile. Real pain when someone makes a stand connecting 4 trees

mickeyjim
10-09-2014, 01:00 PM
It is sad to see, but unfortunately it happens. Got a bit of a story about the snowmobile club where I grew up. It's a bit long winded.

Few years ago the club built a beautiful warm-up shack. It could comfortably seat about 20 people and was the pride and joy of the members of the snowmobile club. It was also spearheaded by an individual who won a prestigious award from the Saskatchewan Snowmobile Association for his hard work and continued dedication to the club, despite him having two fake hips and having to ride side saddle on his quad when clearing brush, etc on the trails. Anyhow shortly after the cabin was built it was burned to the ground. No charges were laid, and it was deemed an accident. No other shack the club owns has burned up to date that I know of. So what did the club do? Built another one. Materials were donated from local businesses and the community and club members had another one up in no time. The warm up shack is identical to the old one and equally as awesome. I have enjoyed it a few times myself when I get home in the winter.

Guess the moral of the story is that we can't let these guys get us down. Idiots are and always will be around.

Zuludog
10-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Thieving DB's come from everywhere. :mad0100:
Sorry to hear about your loss Neil. Not much we as a community can do other than post pictures if we have them, report poachers when we can and try and set a good example and properly mentor future outdoors men.

Venginator
10-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Thieves are the lowest scums. What a waste of oxygen.

weswins
10-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I myself, come from a farming family from west of Stony Plain. We have frequently removed tree stands from our property as they were set up without our permission on our land. It is very easy for guests of landowners to walk one too many fields over and set up in the wrong quarter section. We pull them down and call up the neighbors and if nobody owns up to it, F&W get a call. Now, this being said, this is all on privately owned property. This kind of activity is deplorable on crown land. I'm not going to steal your tree stand, nor am I going to deface it. I may (if I'm feeling cheeky) leave you a note saying that I like your spot or something along that line, but never would I take another persons belongings and I expect the same respect from my fellow hunters.

waterninja
10-12-2014, 08:03 AM
I myself, come from a farming family from west of Stony Plain. We have frequently removed tree stands from our property as they were set up without our permission on our land. It is very easy for guests of landowners to walk one too many fields over and set up in the wrong quarter section. We pull them down and call up the neighbors and if nobody owns up to it, F&W get a call. Now, this being said, this is all on privately owned property. This kind of activity is deplorable on crown land. I'm not going to steal your tree stand, nor am I going to deface it. I may (if I'm feeling cheeky) leave you a note saying that I like your spot or something along that line, but never would I take another persons belongings and I expect the same respect from my fellow hunters.
Funny what you said about cheeky. Last year i found 2 treestands in the bush. 1 was an old 8' wooden ladder that didn't look very safe or comfortable and I left a note saying that maybe he'll get a tree stand for Christmas.
2nd was a nice stand by bruderhiem. left him a note saying good luck on his hunt.