PDA

View Full Version : MOA vs mRad

gitrdun
10-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Currently working and assembling a long range project. It has been decided that the glass will be a Vortex Viper with the MOA turrets as this is what I'm accustomed to. The Viper comes with the option of either. Out of simple curiosity, I wonder if anyone prefers the mRad graduated turrets and why?

Skytop B
10-03-2014, 04:32 PM
It really only matters if you have milradian subtensions in your reticle (mildots for example) then your turrets match your reticle if they are mil. It just makes it simpler to use your reticle to hold off or hold over if there are times you don't want to dial or if you are shooting in changing wind conditions most find it simpler to work in MRAD and use your reticle to hold off for wind. If you have MOA Turrets and MRAD reticle you have to do math. If you are shooting at say 600m and you see your bullet impact off target it is very easy to mil your hit vs aim point and input that directly into your turret or adjust your hold accordingly. If you are running mil reticle and MOA turrets you simply divide your MRAD adjustment by 3.43775 to get MOA, simple math but it's still math,

gitrdun
10-03-2014, 05:23 PM
It really only matters if you have milradian subtensions in your reticle (mildots for example) then your turrets match your reticle if they are mil. It just makes it simpler to use your reticle to hold off or hold over if there are times you don't want to dial or if you are shooting in changing wind conditions most find it simpler to work in MRAD and use your reticle to hold off for wind. If you have MOA Turrets and MRAD reticle you have to do math. If you are shooting at say 600m and you see your bullet impact off target it is very easy to mil your hit vs aim point and input that directly into your turret or adjust your hold accordingly. If you are running mil reticle and MOA turrets you simply divide your MRAD adjustment by 3.43775 to get MOA, simple math but it's still math,

Not a problem with the math, unless I am on the firing line. Wouldn't even consider the conversion. Best for me is to look at the strikes on target, think of them as MOA and adjust the turrets accordingly. Too many things to ponder, shoot MOA and adjust MOA. In terms of vertical adjustments, yes turret tweaks are considered. Windage? not so much. I hold either way, wind messes with you too much to mess with the turrets. If I have a good sight in on a windless day, I run with it. :)

wally338
10-03-2014, 07:35 PM
X2 on Skytop's comments. Personally I run Mil/Mil scopes on my long range rigs. I am mathematically challenged and find 1/10 mil clicks work better for me.