PDA

View Full Version : Vanity cup

laker taker2
10-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Anyone know how the vanity is going? I was fishing the river 2 weeks ago and big fish were non existent. 3 days nothing even close to decent. I've fished that same weekend for the last 8 years and always caught some big ones. Not a sniff this time. Weather was perfect......unlike what it is there this weekend.

lakerfisher
10-04-2014, 09:38 PM
My work associate runs the western walleye trail and is in contact with a couple of the boys out there now and we were just talking about it. He is getting updates pretty regularly. Apparently its very slow and nothing big at all. The boys are disappointed.

Teamprotz
10-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Heard prefish was bad. Rumors from jim chute of only 3 overs caught. As of 10 am there had been no fish weighed in. Guys i know had 13lbs today with one over. We chose to back out this year after 25 years.

laker taker2
10-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's the same thing that happened to the dinosaur........ Mass extincsion.
Any asteroid sittings near tobin lake? I'm done spending $1000 bucks there. To far from yyc.

npauls
10-05-2014, 09:49 AM
I think with the late spring we had this year it has pushed everything back.

I wouldnt be surprised if those big eyes in there move into the river in the next couple of weeks.

I really want to fish this tourney but with the amount of long time veterans leaving lately i dont know if its worth it for me or use that money i would have spent there to go enter a few other new tourneys.

whitetailman
10-05-2014, 12:30 PM
fished there the 28th weekend when pre fish was just starting and we managed one over 8 pounds and a 4 pounder. we also landed two pike over 9 pounds and a couple over 5, our guide we were with says he nevers sees pike like that in the river... but will defiantly be going back next year. if not walleye for sure big pike on the floats

Nova
10-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Been there twice in the last month. I'm not much of a walleye guy, was after big pike. But the few guys I talked to indicated that the walleye action has been disappointing.

The flats can be a real blast, but you need decent weather as well. I've spent 7days at Tobin and one was a glass calm day, one was simply manageable on the flats, 3 of the days would have been a bit sketchy and 2 were totally unfishable. The one day I got on the flats this year I caught 7 pike. 26" was the smallest, the rest were between 28.5-32". I might make one more trek this year in late October, but only if the forecast looks superb. My dad and I caught back to back master anglers last year (one by Pruden's point, the other east of the resort), pretty big first impression of that lake.

verado eyes
10-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Was there a couple weeks ago, fishing was dead, 1 over 11.26 lbs rest were rats,

Esox
10-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Its the start of a long few years of poorer than "normal" fishing at tobin. Yes the slot limit helps in a big way, but there is no way that stretch of river can sustain that many boats and that many people fishing it. Internet and technology are wonderful things, but this is/going to be one example of how the internet can ruin a once peaceful and world class (if not the best in the world) for big walleye. We changed our annual fall trip from Nipiwan to last mountain, still lots of boats but at least its a bigger lake than where all those hawg walleye stack up in the river at nipiwan. Lake Winnipeg/REd River/Winnipeg river are starting to see the same thing.

Teamprotz
10-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Weights at last mountain have been heavier for several years. Too much pressure , water flow and level are both way down, fish arent coming in. Lake outside the river has been better

Teamprotz
10-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Winning weight just over 34lbs. Ouch.

laker taker2
10-06-2014, 07:42 AM
2yrs ago that got you 70th place. I have a bad feeling that fishery is in big trouble. Too bad. Catch and release is the only way to prevent this. Slot limits don't protect the big fish people go there for. I've seen countless monsters go into the well and then to the fish house. Sucks........... Tourism is going drop and hit Nipawin hard next year.

bcacoutdoors
10-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Maybe now a person can get into tournament with out waiting to have name drawn.

cube
10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Catch and release is the only way to prevent this. Slot limits don't protect the big fish people go there for. I've seen countless monsters go into the well and then to the fish house. Sucks........... Tourism is going drop and hit Nipawin hard next year.

Hmmm. I have only fished Tobin 3 times for a total of 14 days on the water but in that time have only ever seen 3 ,fairly small fish, go to the cleaning house etc.

bobalong
10-06-2014, 05:07 PM
http://www.vanitycup.ca/2014.html

Teamprotz
10-06-2014, 07:03 PM
2yrs ago that got you 70th place. I have a bad feeling that fishery is in big trouble. Too bad. Catch and release is the only way to prevent this. Slot limits don't protect the big fish people go there for. I've seen countless monsters go into the well and then to the fish house. Sucks........... Tourism is going drop and hit Nipawin hard next year.

Walleye must be over 86cm to retain. Lost a lot of big fish over the years to the wall.

cube
10-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Walleye must be over 86cm to retain. Lost a lot of big fish over the years to the wall.

From the Sask regs

"Walleye/Sauger Limit 3 (in combination), none may be between 55-86 cm;"

The 3 that I saw going to the cleaning house we very much smaller than 55 cm. Of course most of the very large ones that would have been retained were probably going for Taxidermy and not the cleaning house.

Not sure but I think that allot of Tobins poor fishing in the last couple of years relates to the huge flows during and shortly after the spawn. And of course the very heavy pressure that the drift areas get.

bobalong
10-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Tobin has been a hotspot for big walleye, for at least 20 years, maybe longer but I started hearing about the big fish in 1992 and we made our first trip in 1994. There were hundreds of boats fishing it, even back then, so it would not surprise me if the big fish numbers are going down.

The fishery was still pretty healthy only 2 years ago as there were record numbers of big fish caught during the tournament, so I doubt if most of them are all gone in two years. The next 2 weeks will be revealing, as I suspect a lot of the big fish were still in the lake and will start moving into the river as the weather gets colder.

Teamprotz
10-07-2014, 09:50 PM
The lake has been producing better over the last few years , fish just arent coming into the river like they used to.

bobalong
10-08-2014, 09:20 AM
The lake has been producing better over the last few years , fish just arent coming into the river like they used to.

Interesting, why do you think that is?

bcacoutdoors
10-08-2014, 11:28 AM

More food in lake. I wouldn't be to concerned about fishery to much. Most likely cause of low water levels and later spring this year. Fishing has been great in lake if it wasn't and river was slow then is be concerned.

HOGSLAYER
10-11-2014, 04:01 PM

Give a guy a call there jungle cat we should catch up.

Winch101
10-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Did SH win the Lund Pro v there.....anyone who fished pls

PM me thnx

gramps73
10-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Winch101
yes