PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying set

Indy
11-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I was browsing the classifieds and saw the fly tying kit, this has re-peaked my interest in starting to do this. I was going to start this summer but decided this should be put onto the winter back burner. Can anyone recommend a good starter kit?

Indy.

Kingfisher
11-26-2008, 09:18 PM
A starter kit can be either one that you buy all together or a bunch of items that you put together yourself. Be forewarned though if you decide to go ahead with this you will be getting yourself into an on going addiction. I have been tying for years and still can't go into a shop without spending at least $50 on supplies. My collection is probably a lot more excessive than others. But to me it's a passion not just a hobby.

My advice would be to put a kit together yourself. First of all get yourself a good beginners book on tying. Then get yourself a good knockoff vice. That's one that has the features of some of the more expensive ones. But one that is a lot less money. Then get yourself a few bobbins, a bodkin (pick), sissors, head cement, heamostats, some feathers and dubbing, and of course a selection of hooks.

For all this you can expect to spend at least $200 and the sky is the limit.

Where are you at? If your in Calgary I could show you my kit so you'll know what crazy excess is and I may even be able to meet you at one of the local shops to help you build a kit if you want. My choice of shop would be FishTales.

DoubleCam
11-26-2008, 09:44 PM
As far as a kit goes Id buy the SuperFly kit.. it gives you all you need and a variety of materials that you can play with.
As far as the tying goes, I would start off tying leech patterns like the well talked about, and over fished wooly bugger.
Materials:
Marabou - Black, Brown, Red, Olive (tail)
Chenelle - Match Body / Mix Match (body)
Bead - Silver/Black/Copper/Gold

thats a great fly to start tying. From there I would just start creating different flies, try different techniques etc.
Nymphs are a good style of fly to start tying as well. The easiest flies for me to tie will always be Pike Flies...
I love my Pike!! :D

Indy
11-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the offer Kingfisher, but I live north of Grande Prairie. I don't make it down to Calgary very often unless it is Stampede.

What online store offers these kits and books that is in Canada?

Indy.

DoubleCam
11-28-2008, 10:16 AM
wholesale sports or the fishin hole. either or.
best of luck with it bud!

Doc
11-29-2008, 03:12 PM
If you want to purchase online, here's a good Crown knock-off for $39.95 (includes shipping).

https://www.lgflyrod.com/viewproduct.php?product=760

Cheers,
Doc