PDA

View Full Version : Win 1200 disassembly problem

dunl
10-10-2014, 08:38 PM
I cannot turn the screw inside that holds the wooden stock onto the rest of the weapon. I've had another person hold the shotgun while I turn the large screwdriver with both hands, but to no avail.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Dean2
10-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Remove the trigger group and spray some breakfree onto the threads from the action end. Let them sit a couple of hours and spray again. All of the 1200s I have taken apart had a slotted nut head. If yours does, use a socket, extension and driver.

Instead of just steady pressure, use one hand to put pressure on the bolt then tap the drive with a hammer. If the head is not nut shaped, place large screw driver in slot, torque with one hand, tap back of screw driver smartly with heavy rubber mallet of better yet deadshot hammer. The smack under torque will release almost any screw better than straight twist.

dunl
10-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Grizzly Adams
10-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Ratchet or breaker bar with extension and a one of those impact driver bits will give you a lot more leverage then a screw driver. Used that on many a LE over the years. Thinking part of your problem is a steel bolt in an aluminum receiver.

Grizz

dunl
10-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys, that worked. It was hard to see, and I didn't realize the bolt had a nut head on it. :acigar:

Now, for the small oval plate on the bottom of the stock. It turned and moved out a little as if it were screwed in, but it's just turning. Is it screwed into place, or do I just need to pry it out?

Thanks.

dunl
10-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Never mind. Got the screw underneath the thin cover on that plate.