PDA

View Full Version : Columbia River Walleye.

Wild&Free
10-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Never fished it before, but I'm contemplating a trip to the area next weekend to visit some old friends and would like to cook them up a fresh walleye dinner. I know theyre in there as a different friend used to guide for them out of Nelson. He's since moved and attempts to contact him have failed miserably.

I know I could catch a couple on the way down, but would rather not have to freeze, or be in a rush to get it from the cooler to pan when I arrive, it's a long drive and if I have to stop and catch dinner before crossing the border it will be even longer. One last cast and all.

Any info would be appreciated.

PS, if I don't go I think I'll be off to find the mouth of the pembina for some lunkers. If anyone is interested ill be leaving from SE Edmonton for they day.

Team Anzac
10-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Try this map out, should put you right on the spot.
Goodluck, post a few pics....

Kurt505
10-13-2014, 12:12 PM
I had no idea there was any walleye in there, I could see bass but walleye?

Wild&Free
10-13-2014, 12:38 PM
I had no idea there was any walleye in there, I could see bass but walleye?

Broken nets from a stocking program in Washington.

Limit is 8 walleye, with BCs double possession makes 16 for the freezer over 2 days.

Wild&Free
10-13-2014, 01:18 PM
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/reeltimenorthwest/2014/03/05/new-state-record-walleye-caught-in-mcnary-pool-of-columbia-river-last-friday/

Check that slab out from the Columbia system in Washington.

npauls
10-13-2014, 04:16 PM
I have been trying to get out there for a few years now to chase those eyes.

I am hoping to make a couple weekend trips this winter.

Brandonkop
10-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Check out www.bcfishn.com they have a bunch of articles on fishing Columbia walleye. Apparently the river was washed out last year so changed a bit and fishing for walleye hasn't been as good but they're still catching some. Good luck.

The Fisherman Guy
10-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Went twice this year in the early season. No walleye for us, but prime time is August-September. The locals out there hate the walleye and pike, they insist you catch and kill all the pike you catch. When I was out there, BC hydro had a Pike incentive; one of the larger pike was netted, tagged and released. Bring in your pike heads to be scanned, if you caught the tagged pike, you win $500.

Wild&Free
10-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Brandon, I read a bunch of articles from here and a few from a BC fishingforum I lurk on occasionally. got enough info to know they're catchable from shore, which is good. definitely would be better with a boat though.

Went twice this year in the early season. No walleye for us, but prime time is August-September. The locals out there hate the walleye and pike, they insist you catch and kill all the pike you catch. When I was out there, BC hydro had a Pike incentive; one of the larger pike was netted, tagged and released. Bring in your pike heads to be scanned, if you caught the tagged pike, you win $500.

That pike program released multiple tagged pike, but ended march this year, didn't look to see if it was extended. would be nice to get a $500 sewer snake though.

thumper
10-13-2014, 07:22 PM
I caught 2 nice walleye on my last trip (Sept) to the Columbia near Castlegar. One on a tube jig and one on a walleye-rig (spinner & bait). Both near dusk, in about 35 ft of water, outside of the river's main flow. Tasty!

spinN'flyfish
10-13-2014, 08:25 PM
is it worth trying from shore? Its a wide river

Mountain Guy
10-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Their in there...We caught a batch a few years ago near the dam at Syringa.
Had a good fish fry.
'They were wormy though... we didn't tell the wives and kids :)

Wild&Free
10-14-2014, 07:32 AM
is it worth trying from shore? Its a wide river

Find the pools and slack water and its doable from what I've read. 2-4oz weight and let it rip.

Winch101
10-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Farmers were using them for fertilizer ....some monsters then .
Tasted muddy ,was spring . Went in to a few tackle shops in Oregon ,
They thought we were nuts , kinda like showing up at Tobin for the
Suckers .

thumper
10-14-2014, 11:13 AM
I've caught walleye from shore right below the Hugh Keenyside Dam at Castlegar, right where the Columbia and Kootenay rivers join, and right below the Wawanesa Dam where the Ponderay River joins the Columbia, south of Trail and only yards from the US border crossing.

thumper
10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
It's a tailwater fishery, so the water is clear, clean and fairly cool year round. Cool enough for rainbows, but warm enough for walleye (and swimming). The fish are not 'muddy' tasting or wormy. The Columbia used to be badly polluted with heavy metals from the Trail smelter and Castlegar mill years ago, but they've cleaned it up over the past 15 years- evidenced by the prolific caddis and other hatches, and I don't hesitate in eating her fish now.
It does, however contain didymo (rock snot), so be sure to thoroughly clean your equipment before returning to Alberta waters.

Wild&Free
10-14-2014, 12:05 PM
It's a tailwater fishery, so the water is clear, clean and fairly cool year round. Cool enough for rainbows, but warm enough for walleye (and swimming). The fish are not 'muddy' tasting or wormy. The Columbia used to be badly polluted with heavy metals from the Trail smelter and Castlegar mill years ago, but they've cleaned it up over the past 15 years- evidenced by the prolific caddis and other hatches, and I don't hesitate in eating her fish now.
It does, however contain didymo (rock snot), so be sure to thoroughly clean your equipment before returning to Alberta waters.

Thanks for the heads up on the didymo.

I lived in Salmo for a year and have heard many stories about the pollution in Trail.

Mountain Guy
10-14-2014, 12:53 PM

You saying I'm a liar :)
They weren't muddy tasting but I know worms when I see them. Over 1/2 of them had white worms in the flesh.

spinN'flyfish
10-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Find the pools and slack water and its doable from what I've read. 2-4oz weight and let it rip.

thanks sounds like a great fishery, dont hope to encounter the worms

thumper
10-15-2014, 12:00 AM
You saying I'm a liar :)
They weren't muddy tasting but I know worms when I see them. Over 1/2 of them had white worms in the flesh.

Sorry Mountain Guy. I should have said that I haven't seen any worms in the fish I've caught there. :)

Bjay
10-21-2014, 10:24 PM
I live on the Columbia at Castlegar. There are very few walley in the river now as the natives in the states have been netting them. I hear of very few people catching them. Don't make a trip here just for walley as you may be very disapointed.

Wild&Free
10-23-2014, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up bjay, wasn't making a trip out specifically for walleye, was going to visit a few people.

Never made it out anywhere however, pulled a bunch of OT, then a day off and back to night shift... yay....

next year perhaps.

stein
08-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Any recent reports? Considering heading down for a weekend to try fishing here, worth it?