PDA

View Full Version : Northern Pike

crestliner canadian
10-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Hey all, just got back from Graham Lake and brought a couple of Pike with me, but noticed when gutting them out for transport that they had light green colored livers. Anybody ever encountered this before and are they safe to eat. Every other aspect about them was extremely healthy looking, thanks in advance.

RavYak
10-16-2014, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless they were glowing or something. Too many people worry too much about the fish they keep, if only the knew what went into the garbage you buy at restaurants/supermarkets...

Brandonkop
10-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Different species of fish have different coloration of flesh and internal organs depending on the diet and genetic expression. The liver processes breakdown of blood cells and produces bilirubin or bile. Bile can range in color from yellow to dark green. Its possible you were seeing the greenish color from the bile in the sinusoids of the liver. Most likely though if the fish look healthy then the fish was healthy. You aren't eating the liver anyways right. It is the filter and where most waste products and toxins are filtered out. Best to always discard it in fish.

spinN'flyfish
10-16-2014, 11:01 PM
its probably bile, ive seen it all fish i eat. Eat it, enjoy it while you can :)