PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing at its finest

Crankbait
10-22-2014, 08:08 PM
So it's that time of year where autumnal winds kick up the water into sometimes large rolling surf. If you dress well and face the wind, I guarantee a great fishing adventure. Trout fishing Monday & Tuesday in 40 km++ head-on winds was fantastic in both spinning and still fishing. Pike fishing today was a fish every 15 minutes and the wind was strong. Bait on the bottom with an egg weight did the trick for the pike and a minnow with a tiny bit of foam on the main line to gently lift it off the bottom and allowing the waves to do the rest of the presentation worked wonders. If you use a foam grasshopper tipped with a minnow this would work too with and egg weight. hate the wind sometimes and love it too.

I want to add that if you want big hens right now till ice up and the wind is making rollers, don't cast too far off shore, maybe 75 feet max. The other great thing about the big autumn winds is you can see where weed beds start and end so you can place bait better. Also, the wind keeps the boaters off your spot.

The Fisherman Guy
10-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Great advice for getting after these fish while they feed heavily before ice up.

Today is a new moon as well, double your chances of big predators today and get out there.
Sounds like you've had a few great late season wind sessions Crankbait. Was out in the rollers a few days ago and the Trout were feeding hard and frequently.

Hope to see you on the ice this year.

Crankbait
10-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Great advice for getting after these fish while they feed heavily before ice up.

Today is a new moon as well, double your chances of big predators today and get out there.
Sounds like you've had a few great late season wind sessions Crankbait. Was out in the rollers a few days ago and the Trout were feeding hard and frequently.

Hope to see you on the ice this year.

Oh we'll be on the ice together. This year will be a banner year for the ice crowd. But the next few weeks of open water are going to be fantastic, guaranteed.

slack lines will win the day.

Crankbait
10-29-2014, 11:04 PM
hit the holy trinity today lake hopping. good winds, perfect waves and many fish in the 70+cm range including a 96 cm, a 98 cm and a 99cm. herring fillets for bait and about 50 to 75 feet off shore. two of the hens were caught in the morning and one just before sunset. the waves were rolling whitecaps. great day to break in a new rod. I highly recommend getting out into the wind, face on, just dress warm and wear earplugs.

Crankbait
11-04-2014, 11:18 PM
not many days left; today 104 cm and 102 cm (still there for you) and a long distance release that shot my bait like an elastic. seriously, get out there before the ice skims your favorite lake.

Okotokian
11-04-2014, 11:23 PM
So it's that time of year where autumnal winds kick up the water into sometimes large rolling surf. If you dress well and face the wind, I guarantee a great fishing adventure. Trout fishing Monday & Tuesday in 40 km++ head-on winds was fantastic in both spinning and still fishing. Pike fishing today was a fish every 15 minutes and the wind was strong. Bait on the bottom with an egg weight did the trick for the pike and a minnow with a tiny bit of foam on the main line to gently lift it off the bottom and allowing the waves to do the rest of the presentation worked wonders. If you use a foam grasshopper tipped with a minnow this would work too with and egg weight. hate the wind sometimes and love it too.

I want to add that if you want big hens right now till ice up and the wind is making rollers, don't cast too far off shore, maybe 75 feet max. The other great thing about the big autumn winds is you can see where weed beds start and end so you can place bait better. Also, the wind keeps the boaters off your spot.

Color me stupid. Rolling surf? Where are you talking about? Mexico? PCR?

Crankbait
11-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Color me stupid. Rolling surf? Where are you talking about? Mexico? PCR?

Southern Alberta Reservoirs in winds of 60k and depending on what end of the fetch you're at, you could surf. I'm looking for the thingy to upload pics from my phone.

Crankbait
11-05-2014, 06:21 PM
98cm 60cm girth,, I'm guessing with this nice weather about 11 days before skim ice starts, and even then, nothing that a big block of wood and a rope cant fix.