PDA

View Full Version : Sturg in St.Mary Spillway

Fishslayer99
10-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Heard a rumor that Sturgeon pile up at the St.Mary Res spillway during the spring spawn. As far as I can tell they can certainly make it up there, no different than Bassano Dam on the Bow. Maybe the water is a little skinnier but I have also heard that doesn't matter either. Just out of curiosity has anyone pulled one out of there?

Pudelpointer
10-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Hard to hook them on spinners or flies...

Bait ban on the St.M.

FWIW, I have not seen or heard of them in the river. Doesn't mean they are not.. They do stack up at the weir in Lethbridge however.

Fishslayer99
10-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Yea I realize that, just more less out of curiosity. Could you imagine if you could get one of those things to suck in a big streamer on a fly rod! That would be something else...

Pudelpointer
10-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Guys catch burbot on flies, and I saw a recent image on Instagram with a fly-caught sturgeon, so maybe...

Burbot can be aggressive ambush predators, but sturgeon are very scavenger focused. Maybe if you can find a hungry one in fairly clear water.

I keep saying I am going to try in the Oldman with the fly; however it might get a squirt of power-gel or something.

Fishslayer99
10-24-2014, 09:56 AM
yea I have caught burbs on rapala's in the past...to my surprise, guess anything is possible. im sure the fly would have to have some scent on it to have much luck at all.

Chief16
10-24-2014, 11:09 AM
If they are piled up there spawning, why would you want to catch them anyways? Leave spawning fish alone, especially endangered species like sturgeon. Reds ripping is not cool for any type of fish

TROLLER
10-24-2014, 11:28 AM
I agree 100% Most all lakes that hold walleye are closed during the spawn so I cannot imagine it would be open for sturgeon.

Might be wrong but they should be left alone in any case.

Once they are finished it would be something pretty special to hook into a five or 6 footer with a fly.

Fishslayer99
10-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Yea I realize that, just more less out of curiosity. Could you imagine if you could get one of those things to suck in a big streamer on a fly rod! That would be something else...

Chief16
I appreciate the feedback, I was speaking hypothetically. Just curious to find out if they travelled up to the spillway or not.:thinking-006: Like pudelpointer mentioned there is a bait ban on the river regardless. I find it hard enough to catch sturgeon with bait and where I know they are...I would not target spawning sturgeon with no bait in an area where they may not even be, with a fly rod to boot!
I am as I like to say an optimistic fisherman but whenever possible I try to stack the odds in my favor.

Pudelpointer
10-24-2014, 04:12 PM
If they are piled up there spawning, why would you want to catch them anyways? Leave spawning fish alone, especially endangered species like sturgeon. Reds ripping is not cool for any type of fish

Yo Chief, educate yourself.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/species-at-risk/species-at-risk-publications-web-resources/fish/documents/SAR-LakeSturgeon-RecoveryPlan-A-Oct2012.pdf

spinN'flyfish
10-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Im pretty sure its possible. I know there should be sauger,wallleye,pike,whiefish, trout, burbot (wash downs) and possibly stonecats from the milk river ridge res canals as part of the St Mary Irrigation District... Who knows :bad_boys_20:

goldscud
10-24-2014, 07:53 PM
There is an awesome fly fisherman from Calgary who has landed a sturgeon with his fly rod. He sometimes visits this site
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/Bowsturgeon_zps11fc42c7.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/fishmonger/media/Bowsturgeon_zps11fc42c7.jpg.html)

WayneChristie
10-24-2014, 08:55 PM
the above link is some great reading. learned a few new things from it, and maybe a couple new spots :)

Pudelpointer
10-24-2014, 10:26 PM
the above link is some great reading. learned a few new things from it, and maybe a couple new spots :)

Would have figured you would have known all of those spots already Wayne.... what have you been doing all this time?!?!

WayneChristie
10-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Would have figured you would have known all of those spots already Wayne.... what have you been doing all this time?!?!

only so many days in a year :bad_boys_20: besides I live close to the best of them all. :sHa_shakeshout:

Fishslayer99
10-25-2014, 01:53 PM

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/species-at-risk/species-at-risk-publications-web-resources/fish/documents/SAR-LakeSturgeon-RecoveryPlan-A-Oct2012.pdf

Pudelpointer,

Thanks for the link! definitely an interesting read...Great to have a reply with some valuable information. It sure beats negative feedback any day...I appreciate it!

Chief16
10-25-2014, 03:30 PM

I never implied that when fish stack, the only reason is spawning. Yo, educate yourself in English

Bhflyfisher
10-25-2014, 03:34 PM
I never implied that when fish stack, the only reason is spawning. Yo, educate yourself in English

Apparently everyone seems to feel its okay to fish bulls in late august and september when they're bright orange, and pumpkin coloured/black browns well into october, so why are sturgeon so different? Redd rip em all i say. Love it when they milt all over me and shoot their eggs everywhere.

Chief16
10-25-2014, 03:34 PM

I understand the miscommunication that arose but this is where there and they're need to be understood. I said there as a location not they are as in that's what they are doing if they are stacked.

Pudelpointer
10-26-2014, 08:21 AM

Back-peddling is tricky; don't get hurt falling off your bike.

There/they're/their.... there is no misunderstanding. It is clear you were trying to call out the OP suggesting he wanted to go "reds rippin".

You owe the OP an apology. Truth is you know nothing about sturgeon, and you know nothing about the OP.

Think more, write less.

Albertafisher
10-26-2014, 10:15 AM

There/they're/their.... there is no misunderstanding. It is clear you were trying to call out the OP suggesting he wanted to go "reds rippin".

You owe the OP an apology. Truth is you know nothing about sturgeon, and you know nothing about the OP.

Think more, write less.

Huh an honors university student knowing nothing.... sounds like an oxymoron. Pudelpointer, here's the definition of oxymoron so you don't misunderstand me too:
"a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”
Looks like you owe Chief and apology, don't worry we all make mistakes :scared0018:

Pudelpointer
10-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Huh an honors university student knowing nothing.... sounds like an oxymoron. Pudelpointer, here's the definition of oxymoron so you don't misunderstand me too:
"a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”
Looks like you owe Chief and apology, don't worry we all make mistakes :scared0018:

So your friend is an Honours (Canadian spelling please) student is he?.... obviously not in ichthyology. Not in Environmental Sciences. Not in Biology....

Maybe an English Major? Particle Physics? I am guessing you are both Post-Doc Drama majors.... Oh, sorry, "Performing Arts".

In retrospect, Albertafisher, you are right. Chief, I apologize for saying you "know nothing about sturgeon"; you obviously know they are fish. What I should have said is:

Yo Chief, you don't know SFA about sturgeon, their life history, or their behavior and habitats. Maybe you shouldn't criticize others until you take the time to learn something about the subject itself.

How's that? People rarely ever post photos these days. Now you can't even ask a question about where there might be a specific species, without being accused of poaching / reds tromping / baby killing.

Maybe try taking a "communications" course at the local community college. :love0025:

Bhflyfisher
10-26-2014, 05:44 PM
So your friend is an Honours (Canadian spelling please) student is he?.... obviously not in ichthyology. Not in Environmental Sciences. Not in Biology....

Maybe an English Major? Particle Physics? I am guessing you are both Post-Doc Drama majors.... Oh, sorry, "Performing Arts".

In retrospect, Albertafisher, you are right. Chief, I apologize for saying you "know nothing about sturgeon"; you obviously know they are fish. What I should have said is:

Yo Chief, you don't know SFA about sturgeon, their life history, or their behavior and habitats. Maybe you shouldn't criticize others until you take the time to learn something about the subject itself.

How's that? People rarely ever post photos these days. Now you can't even ask a question about where there might be a specific species, without being accused of poaching / reds tromping / baby killing.

Maybe try taking a "communications" course at the local community college. :love0025:

To be 100% fair though, the OP first sentence is "Heard a rumor that Sturgeon pile up at the St.Mary Res spillway during the spring spawn." This is a fishing discussion forum and it does sound like the intent is to dig up information about when fish are stacked up at a barrier and how people target them. While you should all know that the st mary's river doesn't open until june 16th. Typically these regulations are put in place to protect spring spawners.

But I do 100% agree with you pudel, neither of the 2 have any prior experience with sturgeon whatsoever, I know so, and to be fair neither do I, and with that, they really have no grounds to stand on in regards to the ethics, and techniques and situations involved in fishing for sturgeon.

To be honest with you, Zachary, you really had no means to enter this conversation. Neither the 2 of you or I have any experience or personal knowledge with sturgeon at all which is exactly as pudelpoint said not the fact that Chief knows NOTHING. I know you can read so go re read this discussion. Because you automatically attacked someone because they were in disagreement with your friend, I think you've earned yourself a timeout.

Dont be mean to flysquishy.

Chief16
10-26-2014, 05:52 PM

Think more, write less.

Ill be the first to admit that I know nothing about sturgeon, which is why I also implied that taking any fish of reds is bad. If it was in an offence way to anyone I do apologize. I didn't mean to imply that he/she wanted to rip reds but there are some people who genuinely don't understand reds and how fish need to be left alone while on them. So once again I apologize

Chief16
10-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Ok look, I didn't mean any harm. There are people who legit don't know about pulling fish off reds. I wasn't speaking to sturgeon in particular. Yes, I don't know anything about sturgeon, but that directly correlates to you putting me down? I didn't mean any harm and if I caused any I'm sorry, but don't go telling me how I need to apologize with the words you had towards me. Also why hate toward the arts? People are no more/less because of the degree they take in university. If you want to hate on me in particular, go for it. But grouping people into stereotypes simply for their university degree; that's a direct attack on many.

Fishslayer99
10-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Guys,

No offence taken, I think this thread went sideways real quick. I am new to the forum and really appreciate any information I can get from the individuals on here. My first post was more so to find out how far these sturgeon travel up or downstream. I have also heard rumours that there are some in the bow as far upstream as Carsland. They are an amazing fish and I was lucky enough to catch my first one this year, and hope to catch many more. If any fish deserves to be protected sturgeon are on the top of the list! Thank you all for the information.

Pudelpointer
10-26-2014, 09:08 PM
All right. I agree that we are well off the original topic.

Let's just agree that hassling fish on their reds is bad. Let's also agree that we all want healthy fisheries and healthy fish.

Let's try and give each other the benefit of the doubt. Sound good?

As for the Arts.... I have taken lots of art courses.

Chief16
10-26-2014, 10:17 PM
All right. I agree that we are well off the original topic.

Let's just agree that hassling fish on their reds is bad. Let's also agree that we all want healthy fisheries and healthy fish.

Let's try and give each other the benefit of the doubt. Sound good?

As for the Arts.... I have taken lots of art courses.

Fair enough. I have as well...

ddddd05
10-26-2014, 11:15 PM
This thread was good until the link got posted. After that I just scrolled through the banter. Great pdf

Fishfinder
10-27-2014, 12:15 PM

X2.
Thx for posting it PP.

Bjay
12-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi guys
a little info on sturgen. Males can mature around 15 years of age, females around 30 years of age. Because of this longjevity and the fact they are bottom feeders they are usually full of heavy metals. For that reason you don't want to eat them. The can also live up to a 100 years in some rivers if the heavy metals don't kill them first. You really don't want to kill something that lives that long anyway. I caught lots of them up to 9 feet long. They look like they could be a real tough fish, but like any other fish, if you let then go too soon after capture they will roll over and die when you let them go.
Bjay

Macdrizzle
12-03-2014, 03:48 PM
"For that reason you don't want to eat them"

I hope you're preaching to the poachers, because it's illegal to eat them here.

ineptflux
12-03-2014, 05:00 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Pudelpointer
12-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi guys
a little info on sturgen. Males can mature around 15 years of age, females around 30 years of age. Because of this longjevity and the fact they are bottom feeders they are usually full of heavy metals. For that reason you don't want to eat them. The can also live up to a 100 years in some rivers if the heavy metals don't kill them first. You really don't want to kill something that lives that long anyway. I caught lots of them up to 9 feet long. They look like they could be a real tough fish, but like any other fish, if you let then go too soon after capture they will roll over and die when you let them go.
Bjay

As already indicated multiple times in this thread, Lake Sturgeon are strictly C&R in Alberta.

I am going to assume that you are from/in BC if you are catching 9' fish.

While I agree that we should handle all fish as gently as possible, and give them time to recover from a long fight, they are one of the hardiest fish we have and probably have a higher C&R survival rate than any other freshwater species in Western Canada. Just my opinion.