PDA

View Full Version : first time catching a Burbot

dutchman
10-24-2014, 05:27 PM
So was out at Buffalo and hooked onto a 9# Burbot. Didn't fight like a Jack but I could sure feel the weight so I had no idea what was on the line. Yes they sure are a funny lookin thing. had to check google to see how to fillet these things.
Anyways when done, I wanted to know what they feed on. Gut was full of those little fresh water shrimp thingies. Also surprise there were a couple extra appetizers in his gut. I might have to add these to my tackle box. Ha, perfect leader and jig with a 4" rubber squid? and a smaller rubber lure. Otherwise very healthy looking fish.

spinN'flyfish
10-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Nice bonus! Surprised the paint didn't dissolve, nor did anything. But I think lead (jig) kills humans, but maybe fish are different. Great story. enjoy the cod

Fishslayer99
10-26-2014, 10:29 AM
So was out at Buffalo and hooked onto a 9# Burbot. Didn't fight like a Jack but I could sure feel the weight so I had no idea what was on the line. Yes they sure are a funny lookin thing. had to check google to see how to fillet these things.
Anyways when done, I wanted to know what they feed on. Gut was full of those little fresh water shrimp thingies. Also surprise there were a couple extra appetizers in his gut. I might have to add these to my tackle box. Ha, perfect leader and jig with a 4" rubber squid? and a smaller rubber lure. Otherwise very healthy looking fish.

Good work on your first burb! I have never seen a fish with artificial lures in the gut.
Can't say I'm all that surprised, I have 3 different types of large catfish in an aquarium. They will eat anything that fits in their mouth. I don't believe catfish or burbot are among the most intelligent fish out there!
I would say burbot are some of the best tasting fish, just have to get over the look of them!

chriscosta
10-26-2014, 11:51 AM
I actually caught a small trout with two twister tails jigs in it i couldnt believe my eyes one was way older than the other too by the looks of it

Burbotism
10-26-2014, 03:12 PM
You just lost your Burboginity!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

YeeHaw
10-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Had both pike and walleye with jigs in their gut.

dutchman
10-26-2014, 06:22 PM
well we cooked some up last night and have to say it was very tasty. Easy to fillet, no bones, nice white meat. Cut up into chunks, little flour and spice, in the frying pan, and holy cow, it was great.

waterninja
10-26-2014, 08:11 PM
They might be wierd looking fish, but they sure are easy to fillet and taste great.

Okotoks584
10-27-2014, 03:00 AM
Great post ant you you get 2 jigs that work lol :)

Fishfinder
10-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Congrats, first burby 9#s, bonus!
Free gear to boot, double bonus!

Pulled a jig outta a rainbow's butt once, released the fish, kept the jig.

Woke early Sunday. Decided to hit up my favorite Walter zone on the mighty SSR. Fished 5-7am. No Walleye, 6 burb and a couple lost. Time of day I suppose. Gratefully none took hook deep as they can often do. Fun in the dark. Had a 5 min staring contest with the biggest Coyote I ever seen (note: not recommended as scare tactic). Walked back to truck with blade in hand...just in case. Lol.

Anyway, congrats again. Nice catch!