PDA

View Full Version : have you ever gambled on a lure?

Crankbait
10-26-2014, 09:33 PM
and then had it work like no other? on a whim, I bought at tub of those gulp fake leeches and a tub of the white minnow. fishing was good but slow, so I popped one onto my hook as I would bait a smelt and it was fish after fish after fish, so I swapped back to smelt, then herring and still slow, then back to the fake baits and fish after fish. the other nice thing about the minnow, or rather the plastic they use is that it's firmer than storm wildeye plastics, or not so silicone'y. if you take a number 4 treble you can hook the minnows like a tight form baitball with tails back and heads in the direction of the hooks and the plastic quality holds on good and also doesn't suffer too much in a pikes mouth. really impressed with what I thought was gimmick.

chriscosta
10-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Yup one day i threw on one of them giant storm perch kickin minnows while fishing in a lake you were extremely hard pressed for a keeper ..we laughed as i threw it out but low and behold i boated an 18 lber ..haha and then started to consistantly catch fish ove 15 lbs in the same spot ...needless to say i dont go pike fishing without em

Crankbait
10-26-2014, 10:45 PM
Yup one day i threw on one of them giant storm perch kickin minnows while fishing in a lake you were extremely hard pressed for a keeper ..we laughed as i threw it out but low and behold i boated an 18 lber ..haha and then started to consistantly catch fish ove 15 lbs in the same spot ...needless to say i dont go pike fishing without em

the matzuo crankbaits are really good too but their hooks are really soft metal and don't fair well with larger more aggressive fish.

J D
10-27-2014, 10:44 AM
The way I buy fishing gear is pick up the old faithful's and 1 or 2 new lures. Some are duds some become new must buys.

Cory1
10-27-2014, 01:47 PM
When I go in I'll usually buy what I'm looking for, 1-2 on sale, and 1 that just looks like it would be an interesting lure worth a shot.

Some work some don't, but best time to experiment is when it's on sale.

Cory

Crankbait
10-27-2014, 02:51 PM
When I go in I'll usually buy what I'm looking for, 1-2 on sale, and 1 that just looks like it would be an interesting lure worth a shot.

Some work some don't, but best time to experiment is when it's on sale.

Cory

this is key, the tubs were on for 6 bux not 20, I don't think I would have given them a sniff for 20 bills.

Roughneck12
10-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Those Storm soft baits like pike like no other although they do seem to chew the tails off in my limited experience.

chriscosta
10-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Those Storm soft baits like pike like no other although they do seem to chew the tails off in my limited experience.

Yeah they dont last long ..even tiny fish hit that huge thing ...but sometimes whoah lol