PDA

View Full Version : PCR late October

dean2287
10-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Anyone been out to PCR recently? Wondering how it is late October and into November. I'm spincasting from a small aluminum trolling boat.

KJPFISH
10-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I haven't been out since the first week of Oct. but they were biting then. Managed ~70 in 3 hrs. in my float tube by bouncing a jig & minnow off the bottom in 15-20' of water. I'm thinking of trying to talk my daughter-in-law to come out to catch her first fish if the weather stays warm.

pinelakeperch
10-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Where's the best spot from shore right now?

Fishslayer99
10-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Where's the best spot from shore right now?

I would say boat launch or bridge, there are so many wally's in there I don't really think it matters too much.

FishAb
10-28-2014, 01:40 PM
I would say boat launch or bridge, there are so many wally's in there I don't really think it matters too much.

Id say boat launch

dean2287
10-28-2014, 04:38 PM
So I went out today, spent about 2 hours between the launch and the far side using both a rapala and a jig and minnow setup, bouncing the bottom and various depths. Got stoned cold, not a thing. But that's me, I'm hopeless.

Fishslayer99
10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
So I went out today, spent about 2 hours between the launch and the far side using both a rapala and a jig and minnow setup, bouncing the bottom and various depths. Got stoned cold, not a thing. But that's me, I'm hopeless.

dean,
wow that sucks...are we talking about the same pcr?...I have never been skunked there. Ice fishing is usually slower than open water but didn't expect to hear that. Just out of curiosity did you try just letting the jig with the minnow sit on the bottom? dead stick (no movement). I have noticed in winter with my camera I have had walleye come right up to the jig and sit on the bottom with it right in front of them. they will look at it for up to fifteen minutes before they hit it, and I found sitting it on the bottom works better to get a take than jigging it. Just my thoughts...sorry for your luck, but better than a day at work!

dean2287
10-28-2014, 06:49 PM
dean,
wow that sucks...are we talking about the same pcr?...I have never been skunked there. Ice fishing is usually slower than open water but didn't expect to hear that. Just out of curiosity did you try just letting the jig with the minnow sit on the bottom? dead stick (no movement). I have noticed in winter with my camera I have had walleye come right up to the jig and sit on the bottom with it right in front of them. they will look at it for up to fifteen minutes before they hit it, and I found sitting it on the bottom works better to get a take than jigging it. Just my thoughts...sorry for your luck, but better than a day at work!

Sure did, that's my usual method. I have a split shot then about 5' of fluorocarbon leader then the jig with a fresh powerbait minnow. I use smelt also at times. The Rapala is set up similarly and I let it go to the bottom or just slightly up from there and it trolls along as the current drifts the boat. I've fished like that, using various other spoons and jigs, for most of the year.

I caught a grand total of one fish, a walleye, since July.

Just call me cursed.

pinelakeperch
10-29-2014, 01:19 AM
This is what I was afraid of. I was there 3 weeks ago and didn't catch a thing, fishing in the same spots I'd caught piles in the summer.

Fishslayer99
10-29-2014, 08:38 AM
This is what I was afraid of. I was there 3 weeks ago and didn't catch a thing, fishing in the same spots I'd caught piles in the summer.

Well what can I say...guess it gives a whole new meaning to the "bite has died"
possibly 95% of the eyes in there have sore mouth syndrome from being caught over and over again...they will be back on the bite after they heal up!

slamilton
10-29-2014, 02:00 PM
I was there yesterday using pickeral rigs with smelt near where the boat launch would be for about an hour. Got one Walleye to shore and lost many more. Not quite like it was in Spring and Summer but worth the time.