PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Open Water Season

RavYak
11-02-2014, 10:11 AM
A handful of us headed out fishing this weekend on one of our final open water trips of the year. When we got to the lake we were going to this is what greeted us.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/YellowheadCounty-20141101-00133-1.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/YellowheadCounty-20141101-00134.jpg

With a little ice breaking we were able to find some open water, our boat didn't have any luck though with only a glove and a baby perch caught... Thinking I will go hit up one more pond this afternoon then call it a season.

Bring on the hard water!

Fishslayer99
11-03-2014, 07:56 AM
RavYak,

Tough time of the year! there is always river fishing if you have one near you that is open. I fish the bow this time of year to keep my line wet, seems like it takes forever for the lakes to get 4" of ice on them when they start to freeze up!:angry3:

waterninja
11-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Yep, time to put away open water gear and get ready for hard water, though you can still fish open water near edm. or in the river.
Congrats on the AO open water bragging rights (I think), though I thought contest was cancelled. There wasn't a single update all season, unless I missed something.
Anyways, looks like you had a great season.

RavYak
11-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Waterninja, I provided multiple updates. I plan on organizing it next year too if the original creators don't want to be involved anymore.

waterninja
11-03-2014, 09:18 AM
My fault then. Never saw any updates on that thread but probably missed them. At the same time it seems like an awfull lot of work to keep track of everything and I can understand if organizers didn't have time. Congrats to all winners. It was a great year weather wise for fishing.

Gerv
11-03-2014, 09:29 AM
all of the rivers in my area are closed for the winter :(. Might try one last run at the local lakes if they arent frozen by the time im back from work. if this winter is anything like the last couple i probably wont be fishing much till april. Heavy snowfall has made the ice pretty lousy the last couple years, all of my buddies with ten year loans on snowmobiles will be happy though!

binnzer32
11-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Yea wasn't much interest on here for it... seems like a bit of a ego booster for some .... just my opinion though. .. The guys that slay the most fish on the forum weren't involved... Oh well congrats to those who won the categories though. Btw those signatures are ridiculous. I think more ppl were in on the hard water one because it didn't include all those ridiculous river fish... Is anyone doing a hard water derby? Could just be the biggest of each species length and girth to make things easier. ..

Yep, time to put away open water gear and get ready for hard water, though you can still fish open water near edm. or in the river.
Congrats on the AO open water bragging rights (I think), though I thought contest was cancelled. There wasn't a single update all season, unless I missed something.
Anyways, looks like you had a great season.

Bhflyfisher
11-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Yea wasn't much interest on here for it... seems like a bit of a ego booster for some .... just my opinion though. .. The guys that slay the most fish on the forum weren't involved... Oh well congrats to those who won the categories though. Btw those signatures are ridiculous. I think more ppl were in on the hard water one because it didn't include all those ridiculous river fish... Is anyone doing a hard water derby? Could just be the biggest of each species length and girth to make things easier. ..

x2 Seen so many fish this year outside of this forum that just crushed all of those posts. At least as far as trout/grayling go.

EORE
11-03-2014, 01:17 PM
x2 Seen so many fish this year outside of this forum that just crushed all of those posts. At least as far as trout/grayling go.

x2 contest looks questionable. i gess for some guys they that extra inch

Bhflyfisher
11-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Very questionable. Ultimate angler... what a joke. I know some people alone have caught 10 fish days on trips that have totalled 270"+.

wags
11-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Very questionable. Ultimate angler... what a joke. I know some people alone have caught 10 fish days on trips that have totalled 270"+.

They should have entered the contest!

Cheers

kevinhits
11-03-2014, 05:12 PM
WOW....The contest was for fun only...Some people have time to fish and some do not......You can choose to enter or not....I can now see why no one wants to comment in the fishing thread....What are we down to daily for posts? 3 or 4 a day and getting worse..Because of the degrating posts in this thread....It is amazing how some of you think you are the ultimate angler! Lot of large ego's on this forum...Again...WOW and I am disgusted!

Talking moose
11-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Talking moose hopes RavYak is enjoying his new 22 foot Ranger boat and 275 horse evinrude motor for being winner!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Talking moose likes RavYaks new avatar and agrees with Kevin. Sign me up for next year. Sounds like fun.

Talking moose
11-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Talking moose will still be using RavCanoes old canoe...;)

RavYak
11-03-2014, 06:51 PM

My guess is that people didn't enter because there were no prizes and they just couldn't be bothered to take part. That is why I created the sigs as I believe it will raise more awareness for the derby next season and hopefully more people will enter. I will try and figure out if there is some way to incorporate other prizes too.

I will talk to AJ and Copper about the hard water derby this year and will make sure we get one figured out.

Shoulda, coulda, didn't... If you can't be bothered to enter then you can't complain about the outcome... Same as voting...

If you have the skills or know someone else that does then enter next year, I will be there to organize it(if required) and defend my title...

If I am the one to organize it the species will have a minor change as all suckers will count towards only one category, I don't see any issues with any of the other species but will create a thread to hopefully reach a majority agreement on any changes.

Pass the word around and lets get this derby more involved in the future. If you hate my gaudy sig then make sure you make an effort to take it from me next year :tongue2:.

waterninja
11-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Quite honestly I like that "signature" Rav came up with. I think it looks very sharp.
I also like the idea of bragging rights when it's all in fun. Kind of reminds me of those commercials on TSN about the announcers in the fantasy football league and the interoffice feud they have going on.

Guess we'll just have to kick Ravs butt next year, but if he does decide to take on all the work involved in keeping track of everything hope we get weekly or monthly updates.

fish gunner
11-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Well played RY . Cool banner .might have to get some multi species action;) next year
Again well done some fine anglers bested to gain the title. .

spinN'flyfish
11-03-2014, 09:15 PM
nice job...... im still waitin' for a long weekend to head out...... warmin' up down here

YeeHaw
11-04-2014, 10:11 PM
What lake was that Rav? Was out today northwest of Barrhead, and there was thankfully no ice.

RavYak
11-04-2014, 10:45 PM
What lake was that Rav? Was out today northwest of Barrhead, and there was thankfully no ice.

That was out at Obed so a little earlier freeze up out there. On Sunday went to a trout pond near Edmonton and there was some ice on the shaded side of the pond, won't be too long until lakes start freezing over here too.

I gotta get out at least once more, can't end the season on a no fish day...

RavYak
11-08-2014, 10:21 AM
A Movember Sturge to most likely end my open water season for the year.

Weather next week not looking very nice... Wish I could go travelling again this winter...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/MovemberSturge.jpg

FishAb
11-08-2014, 08:36 PM
A Movember Sturge to most likely end my open water season for the year.

Weather next week not looking very nice... Wish I could go travelling again this winter...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/MovemberSturge.jpg

Nice fish to end, congrats

Talking moose
11-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Going out in style.