PDA

View Full Version : Picklejar Lakes C and R 2015

McLeod
11-03-2014, 01:22 PM
No more harvest..No more bait . C and R. Let's see in 10 years if the fishes are bigger,.We can hope !

Okotokian
11-03-2014, 02:03 PM
maybe just more. I don't think fish get too big in tiny high mountain lakes like that.

spinN'flyfish
11-03-2014, 08:09 PM
maybe just more. I don't think fish get too big in tiny high mountain lakes like that.

x2 insufficient food

McLeod
11-04-2014, 08:23 AM
I haven't checked my history files yet but those who fished the lake in the 60's and 70's would know how things back there however those who set the regs say the lakes are overfished this the fish are small.
I will reserve comment at this time..

Don Andersen
11-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Fished the lakes in the mid '60's and they were small then with a good one 12".

Don

Ray
11-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Could posisibly have more to do with the fact that these are pure native cutts rather than trying to increase size.

tallieho
11-04-2014, 09:46 AM
I am not a 100% sure on this particular lake.But look at your stocking some lks have been stocked[cutthroat] with tripoloids.I think your right ,they are/were pretty near pure strain.Years ago J.Stelfox got a few of us to catch/transport to places like Smuts etc.Because there were lotsa fish in PJ LK.,stunted.

Heavy K
11-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Can you point us to an official source?

This surprises me. Picklejar Lakes have sustained decades of limited harvest by anglers, with seemingly little detriment to population stability. Either this is no longer the case, or there are other plans for this unique population of native, non-stocked, pure strain Westslopes.

In terms of fish size, it will probably make it go down. In a poor environment such as that at Picklejar, if less individuals are removed by anglers (or other selective pressure), this means less forage for remaining fish. You will likely see even smaller average fish size. But then again, perhaps the population is not in as good a shape as it appears.

Perhaps Jim Stelfox can chime in?

HK

Heavy K
11-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Or wait, are you just stating that this is what you want, not an impending change in official regulations? As a point of discussion. If so, I think you are unlikely to accomplish what you intend by changing the regulations.

HK

McLeod
11-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Its a regulation change

tallieho
11-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Jim is retired.But i'm sure if he is about he'll respond.Try Jennifer Earle@gov.ab.ca.I think that she took over after Jim retired

marty1
11-04-2014, 07:45 PM
The experience I've had over 18 years of fishing it is that the size of fish over all has taken a hit,populations are the same,but the size has dropped,pjl never had a lot of the (bigger) fish and I'm only talking 13" but you could always find them some where in the lake,now not so much 8-10".high elevation,little food,over population and to many meat eaters = a fishery that had its but kicked,still a unbelievable place to hang out for a day or weekand.

Okotokian
11-04-2014, 07:51 PM
,still a unbelievable place to hang out for a day or weekand.

x2 You don't hike to those high mountain lakes for fish of any size, or any huge numbers (though I did hit my highest daily total of all time at a tiny lake that shall remain nameless LOL). You go to cast, maybe catch a couple, and look in awe at the breathtaking scenery.

Heavy K
11-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Its a regulation change

Sorry about the italics in my above post McLeod. I just re-read it and they definitely convey the wrong tone. Thank you for the heads up on the regulation change.

HK

Heavy K
11-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Jim is retired.But i'm sure if he is about he'll respond.Try Jennifer Earle@gov.ab.ca.I think that she took over after Jim retired

I know Jim's retired, but I also know he occasionally pops up on these forums. Next time I'm in at the Cochrane office I'll as Jenni.

HK

tallieho
11-05-2014, 07:06 AM
I know Jim's retired, but I also know he occasionally pops up on these forums. Next time I'm in at the Cochrane office I'll as Jenni.

HK
HK yOU MUST LIKE TO TALK ON THESE FOROUMS.wHY WOULDN'T JUST GONE AND CONTACTED jENNI.:angry3::thinking-006::argue2::sign0161::sign0161::sign0161: