PDA

View Full Version : Auger Extension

Burbotism
11-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Hard water season is around the corner, its time to prep the tackle and auger. My inquiry is "what is ideal length of auger extension?" to be used during the month of Jan - March.

binnzer32
11-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I still have been lucky and never had to use one in alberta... i think my Husqvarna one I bought is 10-12 inch...

Hard water season is around the corner, its time to prep the tackle and auger. My inquiry is "what is ideal length of auger extension?" to be used during the month of Jan - March.

CanadianBadass
11-08-2014, 10:16 AM
I bought a 12" extension for my Z71 , and never ended up using it, This year we might have a better ice season though and may need it !

bubba 96
11-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Have the 12" for my jiffy, have had to use at slave a few times...

linger
11-08-2014, 02:50 PM
A 12 inch auger extension should do you fine.:)

Burbotism
11-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys!

Kim473
11-09-2014, 08:55 AM
I bought a 12" extension for my Z71 , and never ended up using it, This year we might have a better ice season though and may need it !
Your kidding right ?

Going into the second week of Nov, and just starting to get cold enough to freeze the lakes. I was at the cottage on thurs, east of edmonton, and not even a hint of ice forming on the edges. Gonna be 2 - 3 weeks maybe more, before you can walk on there. Depending on temps over that time frame.

10 - 12" would be enough. In 25 plus years of hard water there was only one year that I needed an extention, within 2 hrs of edmonton. If near the end of Jan and the ice looks like it might get to 40" by end of March, ( really cold weather ) then I would concider buying or makeing one. At the moment it doesn't look that way. Gonna be Jan before we can drive on is what it looks like right now. ( 12" plus of ice ) minnimum for this cowboy. I think my auger is 42"

Billy2017
11-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I have yet to need one, but when the ice gets over 18" I'll put my 10" extention on to save my back from having to bend over so much.

yoteblaster
11-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Bought my auger in 1991. Have never needed an extension yet! Can drill 36 inches of ice. If the ice gets to thick to drill, I, m moving south!!

simmered
11-09-2014, 09:12 AM
I got one for my jiffy. its around the 12-18" mark. even if you don't need it right away, try and find one in Feb when you need one. Last year on cold lake you needed one in most places and you couldn't find one anywhere

TROLLER
11-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Bought one for my Jiffy at TFW last year. 12 inches had to use it 2 times at Eagle lake. Some guys were just short of touching their motor on the ice before they broke through. Could most likely have done it without the extension but for the cost they are well worth it.

wcarcher
11-09-2014, 09:28 AM
I have a Eskimo, and bought a 12" inch extension, however never had to use it:)

binnzer32
11-09-2014, 10:57 AM
If it were a better Ice season we would be on it by now. .... Last year we had a crap ton of ice all the way into April. ....I bought a 12" extension for my Z71 , and never ended up using it, This year we might have a better ice season though and may need it !

CanadianBadass
11-09-2014, 11:01 AM
[/B]
Your kidding right ?

Going into the second week of Nov, and just starting to get cold enough to freeze the lakes. I was at the cottage on thurs, east of edmonton, and not even a hint of ice forming on the edges. Gonna be 2 - 3 weeks maybe more, before you can walk on there. Depending on temps over that time frame.

10 - 12" would be enough. In 25 plus years of hard water there was only one year that I needed an extention, within 2 hrs of edmonton. If near the end of Jan and the ice looks like it might get to 40" by end of March, ( really cold weather ) then I would concider buying or makeing one. At the moment it doesn't look that way. Gonna be Jan before we can drive on is what it looks like right now. ( 12" plus of ice ) minnimum for this cowboy. I think my auger is 42"

Yup, We are forecasted to have an extremely cold winter this year , and yes the temps are no low enough yet , but they were not at this time last year either !

CanadianBadass
11-09-2014, 11:03 AM
If it were a better Ice season we would be on it by now. .... Last year we had a crap ton of ice all the way into April. ....

Ice last year ? you mean frozen snow lol.. The ice last year was crap. Like I said, this year is apparently going to be brutally... Last year I was 1/2" away from needing an extension, so yes I would be prepared with one late season, but buy now, they are limited in late season !

Last years ice was by far the worst I've seen in many years, I bet the ice conditions are way better this season over last !

binnzer32
11-09-2014, 02:29 PM
I drove my vehicle on March 31 with 3 feet of ice on Gull lake... Don't you only fish wabamun anyways? I used the the winter road on lac LA Biche in late March. .. I ice fished a few trout lakes almost in May.... The ice last year was crap for the first 12 inches due to early snow but when that all melted it was the best mid to late season ice I have seen in Alberta since I moved 10 years ago.. I heard lots of snow this year which sucks for ice. ... not too sure what lakes you fished last year but I didn't experience bad ice and I fished over a dozen. ..

Ice last year ? you mean frozen snow lol.. The ice last year was crap. Like I said, this year is apparently going to be brutally... Last year I was 1/2" away from needing an extension, so yes I would be prepared with one late season, but buy now, they are limited in late season !

Last years ice was by far the worst I've seen in many years, I bet the ice conditions are way better this season over last !

CNP
11-09-2014, 07:44 PM
I had to use my extension on Cold Lake last Feb.

bobalong
11-09-2014, 08:46 PM
I put a 12" extension on my Jiffy about 10 years ago and have never taken it off. I find it much easier on the back, drilling with the extension on.

EZM
11-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Have never had to use my extension (z71) but it's in the box and ready to go ..... I hope I don't have to use it .... yikes ..... drilling holes can be lots of work if the fish aren't cooperating.

Mackinaw
11-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Yup, We are forecasted to have an extremely cold winter this year , and yes the temps are no low enough yet , but they were not at this time last year either !

I think you better check your facts Nov last year was a lot colder then this year

Mack

binnzer32
11-10-2014, 01:24 AM
X 2. i think you better check your facts nov last year was a lot colder then this year

mack

harrydude
11-10-2014, 06:35 AM
The jiffy extension I have has two sets of holes in so it is a 6" and a 12". And it's best if you are prepared for anything that might arise as well as the store selling out fast ...most stores only Carry a limited a out of ice gear...

But if you are handy build a few and pass them around...

Mike_W
11-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Having an extension had little bearing on if it's "needed" or not. I'm sure over the years most times I might not have needed my extension if I shoveled or scraped away all snow from the ice but for me I prefer to save my back a little and be able to drill through some snow, it's also not ideal to be burying your power head in wet snow or water.

12-18 inch is a good length!

CanadianBadass
11-10-2014, 10:49 AM
X 2.

I agree it was colder, But we also had a lot more snow and then we hit a Warm spell which ruined the Ice for most the season..

Calm down, I was simply stating get your extension now, because when you do need it ( Which I believe this year we all will ) you can never find them !

binnzer32
11-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I am very calm your the one who must have been fishing last ice season with your eyes closed not me... I simply stated a point which many other guys agreed with and you back peddled. .. Ice was great last season from January onward. .. I am finished with this thread.

I agree it was colder, But we also had a lot more snow and then we hit a Warm spell which ruined the Ice for most the season..

Calm down, I was simply stating get your extension now, because when you do need it ( Which I believe this year we all will ) you can never find them !

fish gunner
11-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Never needed one, though ive only fished south of Edmonton , could of used one on sylvan in 05-06 iirc had to shovel down to bare ice to get thru. Should get one just cause.

cube
11-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Never needed one, though ive only fished south of Edmonton , could of used one on sylvan in 05-06 iirc had to shovel down to bare ice to get thru. Should get one just cause.

That's why I have one. Never needed to use it yet (close a couple of times though) but it would make me cry if I drove all that way and could not fish :cry: