PDA

View Full Version : getting into coyote hunting

tth_12032
12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Just finished tanning my first coyote hide! Picked up some calls and a rabbit decoy today. Still haven't found a .223 but I am going to start getting ready anyway.

Does anyone else use the "quiver rabbit" and do you usually put it in the open and lie in wait upwind in the bush? How about calling technique?

Thanks for any advice :)

tth_12032
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
maybe this is better in the hunting section?...I am not sure. I am hunting coyotes to sell their pelts so that is why I put it here.

Reddog
12-04-2008, 07:31 AM
What did you use to tan the coyote and how did it turn out?

JohninAB
12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Check out the website www.predatorhuntcanada.ca. A ton of great information there on calling etc. Also www.varmintals.com has some good sounds to listen to.

Also if you can, go out with someone who has been doing it for awhile as you can glean a lot of good info from them. Barring that, always sit with the wind at your back as a coyote will always circle downwind of you. I like sitting where I am not silhouetted with an open area in front of me so I can see the coyotes better. 30 minutes on a stand is all I will usually spend. Start off quiet with a rabbit distress call. Wait a few minutes, 5 or so, then call again only louder. I do this and will throw in a coyote howl here and there. Just remember a rabbit is a tiny animal and therefore do not make long drawn out squeals. Short and sweet is my motto. After you have called a spot, let it cool down a couple of weeks before going back in there, coyotes are smart and will learn to avoid the area if over called. Also I like to make sure I am a 1/2 mile or better in distance from calling site to calling site. Always sneak into your calling site in case there is a coyote in the area you do not see. Best times to call I find are early morning, late afternoon then the middle part of the day. If two coyotes are coming in together, I try to shoot the back one first as sometimes the front one will not spook and offers you the double which is a bonus. Park your vehicle out of sight as best you can and no slamming of doors etc when getting out. As for calls, external reed ones can be better in cold weather as internal ones can freeze up on you.

That is all I have to offer and welcome any comments from people who may offer some improvements on my game plan as well.

tth_12032 if you are close to where I live and call, 1 hour west of Edmonton, you are more than welcome to come on out and join the fun and frivolity known as coyote calling.

tth_12032
12-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow, thanks for the detailed advice John! What is the difference between an external and internal reed? I have the normal looking one that is similar in appearance to all my duck and goose calls...

JohninAB
12-04-2008, 09:00 AM
The tall call on the left is an external reed style, reed is exposed. Short one on the right has an internal reed.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/JohninAB/655.jpg

Also you can check out www.predatormastersforums.com

Bushmaster
12-04-2008, 12:41 PM
tth, we need to see a pic of your finished hide before anymore info is forthcoming !! :D

sourdough doug
12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm going to have to agree with you, 12032, this should be on hunting forum. Trapping is trapping and hunting/shooting is just that, but then, what the hell, look at all the attention those damn gophers and moles got. Go figure, just like a trapper, sit back and say squat..