PDA

View Full Version : Govt Fishing Survey

Don Andersen
11-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Folks,

This survey came by way. There are a host of questions about a lot of items. Pleases take the time to fill it out.
With the demise of the Provincial Roundtable and few if any local Fisheries Roundtables held, there seems to be little opportunity for anglers to make their thoughts known. Only time will tell if the persons requesting the survey will use the info to deal with the issues.

https://extranet.gov.ab.ca/opinio6/s?s=pfrs

What does surprise me is that the Govt is using a survey approach at all. The Provincial Fish Strategy Policy stated that local input + established fishing organizations were the only ones consulted about fisheries issues. The policy has been out only a couple of months and already it is being ignored.

Don

pikergolf
11-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the link Don!

Darren N
11-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Filled it out. Thought they were good questions to ask.

cube
11-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks Don.
Did the survey. For what it's worth I think the survey is a better method than what happed in the past. ie only special interest groups got any say in the past and the majority basically got no say. While I certainly believe local people should have a say and maybe even the lion’s share of the say, I spend allot of time on lakes where I would not be considered a local and feel that given the amount of time I spend there I should also have the right to some input. Hence I believe the survey is better than what went on in the past at least.
I still believe though that every WIN card/Licensed fisherman should be mailed the survey or phoned. They could even have the surveys available at the lakes. This would of course be more expensive than an online survey but then you would get away from some biases and get what the real average fisherman wants and feels.

Thanks again Don

#4fisherman
11-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Filled it out. Thought they were good questions to ask.

I did too, and like Darren, I thought the questions were good. We'll see what happens -- if anything.

WayneChristie
11-10-2014, 06:20 PM
why only North? be nice to have one for the southern area too, altough from what I saw its for proposed reg changes maybe there arent any proposed for us down this way

RavYak
11-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Everyone fill out the survey with what you want and thank them for providing a survey... This is the way things should be within reason, let the people decide unless there is a clear issue.

Edit: I posted this on a bunch of FB groups I am in. Lets get this thing spread around.

silvercloud
11-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks for sharing the link Don.

Don Andersen
11-10-2014, 09:39 PM
On a somewhat related issue, the Provincial Fish Stratergy details who has input into reg./management changes. The strategy points out quite clearly in several places that "locals", member representatives of establish outdoor organizations and a few interested citizens WOULD BE TBE ONLY INPUT CONSIDERED.
Ugly but true. The Strategy clearly defranchises most of Alberta. What crap.

Looks like someone figured out that was BS and decided use a survey although the Strategy never mentions anything like a survey.

Regards,

Don

wildman
11-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Good questions
Hope they actually listen

cube
11-11-2014, 12:21 AM
On a somewhat related issue, the Provincial Fish Stratergy details who has input into reg./management changes. The strategy points out quite clearly in several places that "locals", member representatives of establish outdoor organizations and a few interested citizens WOULD BE TBE ONLY INPUT CONSIDERED.
Ugly but true. The Strategy clearly defranchises most of Alberta. What crap.

Looks like someone figured out that was BS and decided use a survey although the Strategy never mentions anything like a survey.

Regards,

Don

Bottom right Page 24 of the "Fish Conservation and Management Strategy for Alberta"

"Surveys: may occur at any time to obtain feedback from stakeholders on specific topics or questions. Web-based surveys are increasingly common. Surveys can be either based on a select group of participants or target the general public." Though Special interest groups certainly get the most and major opportunities which as you said is BS.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/documents/FishConservationManagementStrategyAlberta-Sep2014.pdf

martinnordegg
11-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Filledout. Thanks Don!

Don Andersen
11-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Cube,

Guess I go back and reread the strategy again. I frankly missed the survey part as I was so ****ed at how they had left out most Albertan's from the decision making process
And like you, I will point out the number of places where the strategy details just who controls management.

Also, the draft sticking policy does much the same thing. Defranchise citizens.

Don

Winch101
11-11-2014, 07:49 AM
By the time all the paperwork is sorted out.....the PC s
Likely will not be the Government of the Day . This will
End up in file 13 . I hate to think we will long for the Tories
Once the Rose is in charge of our fishing fate .

I filled it out ...

trigger7mm
11-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks for posting. Filled out the survey, and added that I would like to see our provincial government wake up and start providing more stocking programs. Political greed will have to be overcome, good luck with that, but more stocked waterbodies would be a blessing to let people get out and enjoy a day on the water with a chance to keep a fish or two. If Alberta doesn't have the money for that, then who does? B.C. stocking programs put us too shame.

RavYak
11-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Shoot I should have made a comment about stocking walleye in say Buck and maybe a few other similar lakes... That is how they should be trying to keep those numbers up not by making it yet another tag lake...

bobalong
11-11-2014, 11:31 AM
I filled it out as I have done previously. I have sat on committees, belonged to clubs that have lobbied this PC government for years, over 20 for me. A lot of these surveys are used only to support decisions that have already been made, they implement change and then say, that is what the people of Alberta wanted.

99% of any significant long term improvements to our fisheries are going to involve funding for stocking and lots of it. There have been many excellent ideas, and proposals put forward over the years by clubs, and although the Govt. reps agree with them, they openly admit that they will probably not receive the funding for them.

I have been a member of a club that presented a proposal for walleye stocking funding that would not cost the government any money, with the exception of a biologist to oversee and consult. It was rejected because funds for the biologist was not available.

With the exception of Trout, this province absolutely refuses to provide any long term funding for our fisheries, despite recognizing the huge spin off market dollars it provides for the province.

Will this survey be different? I am hopeful but with over 20 years of this governments dismal performance with regard to fisheries, I am somewhat doubtful.

Kokanee9
11-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Completed and sent to several other non-forum members.

Thanks for bringing this survey to our attention.