PDA

View Full Version : Boats vs Canoes for fishing

spinN'flyfish
11-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Hey, any recommended boats for the rivers or lakes? Paddles will do same as motors. Thinking of gettin' a used one for the next season to start off with. Also do you need a trailer for a 12-14 footer? I grew up as a shore angler restricting to rivers and not fishing humongous lakes. Im no expert, i'd like some advice folks.

rottik9
11-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Well, to start out i would use a canoe, and paddles....most of us with big motors steam past some great fish. Truth, both have their place, just I went to kayak fishing, and enjoy the reeds. Fishing is great, boat, from the shore any place, even sitting over an 8" hole.

RavYak
11-15-2014, 10:12 PM
I have owned a 14' canoe, 13' fishing kayak, inflatable pontoon, 12' and 14' tinners and also been in larger boats. All have their places and have advantages and disadvantages. Pontoons are good for smaller bodies of water and when you don't plan on trolling fast or covering a lot of ground. Canoes are a little more mobile and better for trolling but not as good for sitting still, most of them still aren't great for bigger lakes as you have to be a careful around big boats and rough water. My kayak is very stable, safe and even more mobile yet but the downside is that they are significantly more expensive, I don't have any second thoughts about taking my kayak out on Wab/Gull even in 30+ km winds. Main advantage of a canoe over say a pontoon or canoe is that you can take someone with you(on most 14+ foot models anyways). A small older tinner is always an option too if you have a place to store it.

It all really comes down to what kind of fishing you plan/want to do, how much money you have to spend and also what room you have for storage. If you only have a few hundred bucks then a canoe or pontoon are probably your only real options. If you have 1000-1500 then a fishing kayak or tinner would be an improvement in most situations. If you are willing to buy used in the off season and then sell mid season you can actually make a profit while providing yourself with a way to get on the water. You just have to keep your eyes open for the good deals.

Trailer will depend on your vehicle. You can quite easily carry a 14 foot canoe on almost any SUV or truck and even most cars.

spinN'flyfish
11-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Based on your wonderful and appreciated advice I might consider getting those decent ones at BPS for 600-800 bucks I think its sufficient for glenmore, ghost, (not spray), bearspaw, burnstick, birch, chain lakes, lower k lakes, pigeon,chestermere and the bigger ponds. Probably not worth trying to float down a river in a canoe as a beginner. Same with putting in Gull, Minnewaka, Sylvan, LAc st anne, or any BIG lakes. So I think I'll prefer a canoe first year, and just use it with my 2 buddies, and I hope I can fit it inside cause itd crack your hull outside without winterizing, as I heard this from the boat owners. The lakes mention are just some I know that should be suitable for canoes. It's also a good workout too I'd say when canoein'

tallieho
11-16-2014, 06:55 AM
When in a boat.I never had to swim.2X With a canoe.tipped over

Djm2u
11-16-2014, 07:13 AM
I have an inflatable kayak and love it. They are not cheep but close to your budget. Best part it you can take them anywhere. And storage is a breeze. Its tough as nails but don't buy the cheep ones. I had a plastic one and got rid of it. I can stand in my new one its super stable. Here is the one and only inflatable to buy in my opinion.

https://www.seaeagle.com/FastTrackKayaks/385ftg

Good video can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHzhIEbG6w

Forgot to mention it takes me less than 8 min to pump it up with a foot pump that comes with it. And be on the water. Also you can do like me and make a custom mount for an electric motor out of pvc

chriscosta
11-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Get a 12 ft alluminum you can row it or troll big lakes with it you can ding it up and you can also up and rip wherever you want...very versatile boat and you dont NEED a trailor although they are handy

catnthehat
11-16-2014, 08:55 AM
I use a 23'Sportspal, an 12 foot tinner, and an 18 foot jet.
The tinner gets used more than any of them at the lake, especially nice with the electric on it!
Nice and stable so passengers don't get weirded out if someone moves:)
Cat

spinN'flyfish
11-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks everyone, this has given me some great considerations for what to buy next year