PDA

View Full Version : A question for all the calgary area fishermen and women?

ADH
11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
I am likely moving from edmonton in the near future and I have been checking out my fishing options especially for the hard water season and I came across this eagle lake east of calgary outside of strathmore. Now there must be some issue with this lake as the current regulations state that there is a limit of 3 walleye over 50 cm. Does anyone know anything about this lake or has anyone fished it? Seems very odd to me. Thanks in advance guys.

spinN'flyfish
11-18-2014, 07:04 PM
I'd say there's nothin' wrong, (up north at the lakes there are special tags and stuff) I dont often fish east of the Calgary area but there are alot of folks that fished there. Welcome to southern alberta!

Sceptreguy
11-18-2014, 08:10 PM
From what I have found looking around is that the water is really dirty since there is a feedlot or something right beside it that drains into it. Apparently no one advises eating the fish out of there. I have always wanted to go fish it to see for myself but with limited time would rather fish a nice clean lake then a dirty smelly one.

Tigger72
11-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Fished there with a buddy this year ... .(close proximity to calgary fishing, as in you can get there fish and be home before the wife gets home ) C&R I think we had 9 fish total on fathers day..... 4 walleye and 5 pike... the pike were not bad sized and two of the 'eyes were pigs... However they both had some sort of growth on them...(once you see the water there you wouldn't eat the fish their either.... ) My buddy has had days there where he was catching a pike every third cast... so when your in the right spot its good...

jacenbeers
11-18-2014, 09:04 PM
I ice fished in two or three times last year and I think it was awesome. I didn't get that many walleyes but the ones I did get were nice. There are lots of pike in there. The water is brown even in winter and it smells gross. I wouldn't eat anything out of there.

Cory1
11-18-2014, 09:56 PM
It's close to the city which is nice, but if you've got a full day I'd sooner make the trek a bit further out.

As mentioned above water is dark and dirty, lake gets blue-green algae every few years, and fishing in the summer algae is so thick your line comes back covered in it.

That said I'll still hit it and have pulled a large number of fish from there, pike are average, walleye are large but illusive.

Fish seemed healthy for the most part, seen a few growths on the walleyes, and a lot of very pale ones.

Never kept any out of there, but generally don't keep any out of anywhere.

Any other questions send me a pm.
Cory

Who Da Fisherman
11-18-2014, 10:10 PM
I am likely moving from edmonton in the near future and I have been checking out my fishing options especially for the hard water season and I came across this eagle lake east of calgary outside of strathmore. Now there must be some issue with this lake as the current regulations state that there is a limit of 3 walleye over 50 cm. Does anyone know anything about this lake or has anyone fished it? Seems very odd to me. Thanks in advance guys.

Give Bruce lake or Chestermere a try.
Caught a lot of hammer handles there a few years back.
Good luck-tight lines
WDF

kevinhits
11-19-2014, 05:20 AM
I ice fished in two or three times last year and I think it was awesome. I didn't get that many walleyes but the ones I did get were nice. There are lots of pike in there. The water is brown even in winter and it smells gross. I wouldn't eat anything out of there.

Leave the underwater camera at home:sHa_sarcasticlol:

michaelmicallef
11-19-2014, 07:10 AM
That's Must be a gift from SRD to Alberta citizens. Here eat some ....! Lol sorry I thought that was kind of funny.

ADH
11-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Thank you for all of the replies! Im not really one to take many fish anyway and since I have learned to completely debone the pike I much prefer those... I was just curious when I came across that lake because of the walleye regs being so close to town! Very interesting. Thanks for all the info guys and happy fishing. By the way I know that the common lakes around edmonton are st anne and pigeon. Where do the masses go around cow town? crawling valley, newell, and spray are the ones I have found. Any decent waters closer to town?

bubba 96
11-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Give Bruce lake or Chestermere a try.
Caught a lot of hammer handles there a few years back.
Good luck-tight lines
WDF

heard bruce winterkilled a few winters ago, fish were all around banks in the spring..

Cory1
11-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Thank you for all of the replies! Im not really one to take many fish anyway and since I have learned to completely debone the pike I much prefer those... I was just curious when I came across that lake because of the walleye regs being so close to town! Very interesting. Thanks for all the info guys and happy fishing. By the way I know that the common lakes around edmonton are st anne and pigeon. Where do the masses go around cow town? crawling valley, newell, and spray are the ones I have found. Any decent waters closer to town?

PCR is our equivalent to pigeon, but smaller eyes. Truthfully never had much luck there in the winter though.

Some nice lakes out west in the mountains if your a fan of trout fishing.

Nothing is really 'close' but there's plenty of lakes within 1.5 - 2 hours that there's not much of a need to go further than that.

Cory

ADH
11-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Id love to learn how to trout fish but Im lacking in the technique department. I only have experience with rainbows... jig head and shrimp held as still as possible

fish99
11-19-2014, 05:19 PM
fishing is slow at best on eagle lake, drill a hole in the ice and you willnot bet able to stand the smell from the water, the fish look bad quite pale. best to go to crawling valley clean water and no blue green algae. good luck

dryrush
11-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Average day one the ice there is 4 pike but as mentioned I wouldn't eat any of the fish

spinN'flyfish
11-19-2014, 07:38 PM

For trout 45 min westward, 30 min north and a few trout ponds too. Some alpine lakes and some lakes with varieties of species in k country. Great rivers too

BlackArcher
12-08-2014, 08:59 PM
heard bruce winterkilled a few winters ago, fish were all around banks in the spring..

Can anyone confirm, how bruce is this year? thinking of hitting it up for some ice fishing.