PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing season is coming quickly - need a day shack rental?

outdoors forever
11-18-2014, 07:59 PM
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Paul Donahue, and I am a "lifer" in the High Prairie / Slave Lake area.
As some of you on the forum may know, I am very passionate about fishing, winter and summer, and I spend a lot of time with my wife and daughters on the lake.

I have decided to take a shot at providing ice cabin rentals on the west side of Lesser Slave Lake, this winter, starting in Jan 2015.

I am starting out quite small, with just two day shacks. The shacks will be equipped with chairs, wood stoves ( firewood included in rental ) and also the option of renting an auger with extension, if needed. They are nothing at all fancy or state of the art, but like I said, starting small for the first year. The cabins can fish 4 people comfortably.

I have no idea how this venture will go, but I am excited for the opportunity to meet new people and perhaps help some folks have an enjoyable hard water fishing experience.

Look for my ad in the Dec 2014 issue of AO magazine, and a big thanks to Paul Milberry and the admin staff from Sports Scene for their help and all the info they have provided to help get me going. Thanks to Morb and Admin as well for helping me out with some PMs.

You can email for info at reel.time.fishing@hotmail.com or call or text me at 780 523 1178.

For those of you who have Facebook ,check mine out and friend me! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004195996170

GTZ
11-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Sounds awesome Paul, sounds like something I'd be interested in!

Mackinaw
11-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Always end up with tent blown off that lake ..you might be just what I'm looking for

Mack

Kim473
11-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Sounds great ! Good luck to you in your venture. Hope every thing works out for you. What are rates going to be ? Say, 4 people 2 days.

outdoors forever
11-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Sounds great ! Good luck to you in your venture. Hope every thing works out for you. What are rates going to be ? Say, 4 people 2 days.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Although I still have a lot of details to work out, I think I am going to be charging a flat fee of $85.00 per day, regardless of group size, and $125.00 per day if you need an auger. The cabins fit four people comfortably, and have four holes.

Game Hunter
11-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Is there a option to stay the night in one? Ide be interested coming out on a weekend

Barnes19
11-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Sounds good, me and my brothers have talked about renting an ice shack there for a weekend. Would there be accommodations available near by?

Kim473
11-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Although I still have a lot of details to work out, I think I am going to be charging a flat fee of $85.00 per day, regardless of group size, and $125.00 per day if you need an auger. The cabins fit four people comfortably, and have four holes.

Sounds like a great price. How long of a drive from Edmonton to the cabins? I may have to make a weekend trip there.

outdoors forever
11-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I have received numerous texts and emails asking questions, so I just wanted to clarify a few things, so I don't have to keep repeating the same things in replys!

- The cabins will be located ON the ice, on the northwest side of the lake in an area locally known as Cutbank. The walleye fishing is usually EXCELLENT in that area. Access will be from the public boat launch at Hilliards Bay Prov Park.

- The cabins are DAY RENTAL only. It would be up to you if you wanted to attempt to sleep in them, but you would have to bring a cot, foamy, sleeping bag, etc - I will not provide ANY sleeping related items. I do not recommend sleeping in them, its just too tight.

- The cabins will have small wood stoves, and firewood is provided with rental ( within reason ).

- The cabins will fish 4 people quite comfortably. Only four holes per cabin.

- Rental is $85.00 per day, includes a supply of firewood
.- If you need an auger with extension, along with cabin rental, it is $125.00 per day.

- I will not be supplying any fishing gear, except for the auger if needed.

- The nearest accommodations are in High Prairie, which is a half hour drive from the lake. There are a # of hotels and motels in town.

- It all depends on the weather but I HOPE to have guys in the cabins at New Years. Again - weather depending!!

I still have a few things to work out, as I am pretty sure I will be asking for a damage deposit before hand. For now I am only accepting cash or cheque or money order for payment - I do not have any sort of set up for debit or credit card. Yet.

Guys, I am just starting out, and starting small. My vision to have overnight cabins as well as day use cabins, and at different locations on the lake. It all takes a big amount of time and I am going at it mostly alone, I do have some help from family members, but largely trying this on my own.

I absolutely appreciate all the support and the inquiries. I am passionate about fishing and want to help others have a great experience and if I can help to give someone a fun and productive day of ice fishing, that is my goal.

Thanks again for the kind words :)

spoons
11-22-2014, 06:39 PM
I know that area very well and would be a customer if I could book for a few nights. You will be busy guaranteed. Good luck

binnzer32
11-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Hey buddy
Don't forget to hit up travel alberta or alberta north for some funding. ... feel free to call me if you have any questions. .. i used to run a fishing lodge...780 713 1514. Mike

Hi everyone,

I have received numerous texts and emails asking questions, so I just wanted to clarify a few things, so I don't have to keep repeating the same things in replys!

- The cabins will be located ON the ice, on the northwest side of the lake in an area locally known as Cutbank. The walleye fishing is usually EXCELLENT in that area. Access will be from the public boat launch at Hilliards Bay Prov Park.

- The cabins are DAY RENTAL only. It would be up to you if you wanted to attempt to sleep in them, but you would have to bring a cot, foamy, sleeping bag, etc - I will not provide ANY sleeping related items. I do not recommend sleeping in them, its just too tight.

- The cabins will have small wood stoves, and firewood is provided with rental ( within reason ).

- The cabins will fish 4 people quite comfortably. Only four holes per cabin.

- Rental is $85.00 per day, includes a supply of firewood
.- If you need an auger with extension, along with cabin rental, it is $125.00 per day.

- I will not be supplying any fishing gear, except for the auger if needed.

- The nearest accommodations are in High Prairie, which is a half hour drive from the lake. There are a # of hotels and motels in town.

- It all depends on the weather but I HOPE to have guys in the cabins at New Years. Again - weather depending!!

I still have a few things to work out, as I am pretty sure I will be asking for a damage deposit before hand. For now I am only accepting cash or cheque or money order for payment - I do not have any sort of set up for debit or credit card. Yet.

Guys, I am just starting out, and starting small. My vision to have overnight cabins as well as day use cabins, and at different locations on the lake. It all takes a big amount of time and I am going at it mostly alone, I do have some help from family members, but largely trying this on my own.

I absolutely appreciate all the support and the inquiries. I am passionate about fishing and want to help others have a great experience and if I can help to give someone a fun and productive day of ice fishing, that is my goal.

Thanks again for the kind words :)

gramps73
11-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Good luck.

Mackinaw
11-23-2014, 12:34 AM

I like the 85 bucks no mater of number of people .I hate place that try to squeeze the extra 20 for extra people when you are already paying for the whole cabin. Good luck will see you this season

Mack