PDA

View Full Version : Ice shack or tent or ?????

raggmann
11-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Time to upgrade my ice shack. I have a Hillary 10'x8' tent now but like I said, time to upgrade.
I was thinking of building one so I could just store all our stuff in it but want something portable. I hate going to the same lake all year. Now I'm back to thinking tent style.
I've searched but don't really see an answer.
I want something with enough room my 73yr old father will be comfortable. There's only 3 of us but I'm ok going with something on the bigger side.
Leaning towards something like:
Eskimo Fatfish 6120i
Eskimo Quickfish 6i Ice Shelter
Clam Corp Six Pack™ Series 1660 Mag Ice Fishing Shelter
Clam Corp Big Foot™ XL6000 TC Ice Shelter
Any others I/we should look at?
What's your favorite and why? Try to keep your answers short and to the point.
Thanks in advance

TJG
11-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Wood or trailer mod.

The Fisherman Guy
11-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Definitely go with a large tent, like the Eskimo 9416 or 9416i (insulated). The extra space is well needed, and accommodates three fishermen very well.

A big buddy heater works great at keeping the whole tent warm. Putting mats down below the heater works to keep the ice below from melting. Mats also keep batteries in electronics batteries from dying quickly due to temperature.

The 9416 is easy to set up, lightweight and has quality hubs. Some of the other manufacturers have plastic pole hubs, which wear out quickly. Metal hubs are the way to go.

Pack all your gear into an Otter sled, and you're set to go to any lake. You can even set up a couple cots on the ice in the 9416 tents. If your sled gets too heavy, you can always add teflon runner strips to the bottom to reduce friction.

MagnumMan
11-21-2014, 05:03 PM
I turned a enclosed trailer into my ice shack, very portable and very warm with a wood stove..

raggmann
11-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys.
I actually have 2 Otter sleds so that'd work.
I also have an old tent trailer with a top I was considering modifying.
I'm REALLY interested in the 6 sided Eskimo tent. I think the roundish shape would be the most efficient.
I'll keep you posted and post pic's whichever way I/we go.