PDA

View Full Version : Reg changes

anthony5
11-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Just learned that SRD is holding meetings in Vulcan and Brooks about new Reg changes for the major reservoirs in southern Alberta about management and recovery of fish populations in these bodies of water. Has anyone else heard of these meetings?

WayneChristie
11-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Vulcan is Tuesday night at the Legion at 7PM Brooks is Thursday at the legion at 7 pm

MoFugger21
11-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Why are these meetings poorly advertised? Or am I not in the right circle of people...? First I heard about the meeting in Vulcan was tonight

Jack&7
11-23-2014, 10:32 PM
does anyone know what the proposed changes are yet?

RavYak
11-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Why are these meetings poorly advertised? Or am I not in the right circle of people...? First I heard about the meeting in Vulcan was tonight

Because the people involved don't want other people involved... That is my guess anyways...

WayneChristie
11-24-2014, 07:54 PM
has everyone done the survey at the top of the page? heres your chance to make your voice heard on a lot of new regulation ideas

Winch101
11-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Not to rain on anyone s parade but I'm not saying don't go but
The changes are all done and on paper so any Imput will be
Ignored .
The last one of these forums was a clown act . The SRD used
Fictitious test netting reports as a basis to close Travers . I think they threatened to leave because the public was asking questions .
The bad news looks like a return of this crumby govt for
Another term and dismantling the SRD to give it less power .

Expect more closures ...less enforcement .....more poaching .

MoFugger21
11-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Is anybody able to make it to the meeting in Vulcan tonight? And if so, could you provide a summary of what was discussed?

Winch101
11-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Now that sport fishing is on par with milk carton recycling in the
New big ESRD Dept ,all under one management . Anglers should study
Some of these releases ....?Plans are to dedicate 6 million dollars
To revitalizing. The flood ravaged southern Sport fishery .
I read it ....lots of mumbo jumbo govt gobblygook .

I like the stocking report for 2014 ....one walleye stocking ,lac St. Anne
5 million plus walleyes ....no other lakes ...stupid or what .

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/

http://esrd.alberta.ca/

Some light reading on the way to the meeting .

266,000 plus resident fishing licences sold in Alberta in 2013 .

And these pinheads are still pushing us around .

http://mywildalberta.com/BuyLicences/AnnualSalesStatistics.aspx

anthony5
11-25-2014, 08:21 PM
The info meeting in Vulcan was not what some had hoped for, but expected, the pike fishing in 5 reservoirs will be catch and release only starting in 2015 until the fishery recovers.
Gotta buy some new fishing gear now.

Cory1
11-25-2014, 08:37 PM
The info meeting in Vulcan was not what some had hoped for, but expected, the pike fishing in 5 reservoirs will be catch and release only starting in 2015 until the fishery recovers.
Gotta buy some new fishing gear now.

Which five if you don't mind me asking?

calgarygringo
11-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Vulcan Public Consultation: Fisheries Management in Southern Alberta - Proposed fishing regulation changes for McGregor Lake, Milk River Ridge, Sherburne Lake, Travers and Rolling Hills Reservoirs

eggy
11-26-2014, 09:56 AM
What kind of pressure is this going to put on badger lake? They might as well close them all down because it won't be long before the lakes you can keep them in will be ruined. Badger already has a lot of pressure on it and being a fairly small lake it won't be long before its fished out. Kind of funny how everyone says these ice fishing derbies ruin the lakes for fishing but badger has had a derby for 30 years and they seem to think there's no need for catch and release there.

WayneChristie
11-26-2014, 10:10 AM
What kind of pressure is this going to put on badger lake? They might as well close them all down because it won't be long before the lakes you can keep them in will be ruined. Badger already has a lot of pressure on it and being a fairly small lake it won't be long before its fished out. Kind of funny how everyone says these ice fishing derbies ruin the lakes for fishing but badger has had a derby for 30 years and they seem to think there's no need for catch and release there.

I hear the rest of the lakes will be 1 over 63 so that will help. I agree Badger will get pounded hard as will most of the other lakes not covered but at least they will have to go 3 times to take as many home

Esox
11-26-2014, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=eggy;2633082]What kind of pressure is this going to put on badger lake? They might as well close them all down because it won't be long before the lakes you can keep them in will be ruined. Badger already has a lot of pressure on it and being a fairly small lake it won't be long before its fished out. Kind of funny how everyone says these ice fishing derbies ruin the lakes for fishing but badger has had a derby for 30 years and they seem to think there's no need for catch and release there.[/QUOTE

New province wide regulations coming. Could be down to a 1 pike limit instead of the 3 over 63cm. I didn't go to the Vulcan meeting but I have been to one in lethbridge. Winch, you seem so interested in the governments doings regarding fishing and items such as "fictitious" netting results, did you attend any of the meetings to talk to the area fisheries biologist about these "fictitious" results and maybe some concerns you have that could possibly be taken into account for net year?

Winch101
11-26-2014, 11:37 AM
As luck would have it ,I was at travers the day of the test netting .
The netters did not want to talk to us . The resulting report is fiction
In no way connected to the report . I was at the first meeting , which
Proved to me that decisions are made way before your Imput is asked
For .if I remember right I think the boys from Lethbridge left their truck running. TC and the gang were just there to tell you how it was going to be. You !we have no power to change anything ....The Alberta SRD
Is broken . I don't disagree with the pike closures ,
But enforcement will not happen , because it cost money , and this
New ESRD is a joke . Fishing and hunting will get lost in the
Bureaucracy .
I went through the same thing in Manitoba in the mid eighties ....
The taxpayers lost and paid .

This whole endeavour shows you how inadequate Fish and Game
Clubs are in bringing pressure on the Govt .

Be ready to fish for fun or poach ....

I filled out the survey when first on , and I'm still bitching .

huntsfurfish
11-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Was at last years meeting in Vulcan. Missed last night.
Last year agree Travers was somewhat flawed but all they had. More money is needed so more testing can be done.

More money for fishing is going to be extremely hard to get. No way should esrd get more money when there are cuts to education and health care etc.

I dont think ESRD is doing all that bad. High population sucks right now and is a drain on all our resources!

Side note I would like to see all Southern Reservoirs go to 1 walleye over 50 or 55. No need for 3 anymore.:)

calgarygringo
11-26-2014, 01:47 PM
I don't have all the answers either but just a couple things that make me wonder.

These meetings are called round tables or consultations. Seems like they come tro these meeting with the new rules before any consultations or round tables happen. That doesn't make a lot of sense if they realy want feedback or probably not.

The other thing is that if our population growth is causing issues with budgets etc. should there be more money out there due to more lincenses being purchased. Should one not offset the other if that is the case.

I also wonder why if as above all this population growth is a challenge that they wouldn't have a meeting in Calgary where the growth is happening and where most of the pressure on these southern lakes is coming from. Having a meeting in Vulcan on a weeknight when the majority of people wouldn't do the 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive.

Just a few things that don't make sense to me. No problem with helping out the fish situation but seems they are a pretty closed bunch and are going to do everything their way and done.

Mackinaw
11-26-2014, 09:04 PM
As luck would have it ,I was at travers the day of the test netting .
The netters did not want to talk to us . The resulting report is fiction
In no way connected to the report . I was at the first meeting , which
Proved to me that decisions are made way before your Imput is asked
For .if I remember right I think the boys from Lethbridge left their truck running. TC and the gang were just there to tell you how it was going to be. You !we have no power to change anything ....The Alberta SRD
Is broken . I don't disagree with the pike closures ,
But enforcement will not happen , because it cost money , and this
New ESRD is a joke . Fishing and hunting will get lost in the
Bureaucracy .
I went through the same thing in Manitoba in the mid eighties ....
The taxpayers lost and paid .

This whole endeavour shows you how inadequate Fish and Game
Clubs are in bringing pressure on the Govt .

Be ready to fish for fun or poach ....

I filled out the survey when first on , and I'm still bitching .

You say the clubs are not pressureing the govt.
But you sitting at home when these meeting are going on is doing nothing either..
You say you went to a meeting last year but it did not change things so you what ...you gave up..

The last post of yours I read you basicly told people not to bother going to the meetings..

From what I see the only bitching your doing is on here

Hope you enjoy your fishing

Mack

Winch101
11-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I very clearly said in Post 8 ......Go to the meeting ....

But be forewarned ......decisions are already made ....just like last year .

Asking for your input is sorta political gas bagging ,it allows the now ESRD

To say " After consultations with the Alberta Sportfishing Community

we were able to instil the following regulation changes to the

designated reservoirs in southern Ab blah blah blah ."

Only one word should be changed .... change After to Before

And you got it .

And FYI I did the survey ,with a long list of my concerns .

I have also penned numerous emails to persons in the SRD

When it was a stand alone entity . Short of setting myself

afire in the foyer of the ESRD office . I , like a lot of Hunters

And fisherman in Alberta ,though perplexed by this Governments

Attitude towards certain segments of the taxpaying public ;

I am not mystified by it . Just as the last premier had created

Her own big Kingdom ......each portfolio has a multitude of little

Kingdoms making unilateral decisions to suit there own purpose .

So info away but your ****ing into a pretty strong wind .

Mackinaw
11-27-2014, 08:48 AM
I very clearly said in Post 8 ......Go to the meeting ....

But be forewarned ......decisions are already made ....just like last year .

Asking for your input is sorta political gas bagging ,it allows the now ESRD

To say " After consultations with the Alberta Sportfishing Community

we were able to instil the following regulation changes to the

designated reservoirs in southern Ab blah blah blah ."

Only one word should be changed .... change After to Before

And you got it .

And FYI I did the survey ,with a long list of my concerns .

I have also penned numerous emails to persons in the SRD

When it was a stand alone entity . Short of setting myself

afire in the foyer of the ESRD office . I , like a lot of Hunters

And fisherman in Alberta ,though perplexed by this Governments

Attitude towards certain segments of the taxpaying public ;

I am not mystified by it . Just as the last premier had created

Her own big Kingdom ......each portfolio has a multitude of little

Kingdoms making unilateral decisions to suit there own purpose .

So info away but your ****ing into a pretty strong wind .

Hope not all people have your attitude and quit. Have a good day anyway.

Mack

tallieho
11-27-2014, 08:52 AM
I will agree with some posts,where things are already in place before these mtg's take place.
One thing that i haven't read is ,the cancelling/purchasing commercial fishing permits.This rape of fish population,for economic gain for a few.Is wrong & i am glad that ESRD. put a stop to it.So let's see what happens now,with the rebound.
Imo there are other factors decimating our fisheries.Licenceing really has to be looked seriously.ie .catch limits for family fishing ,with one licence.By doubling,tripiling,quading possession limits on that one lic.Has to stop..

WayneChristie
11-27-2014, 08:55 AM
I will agree with some posts,where things are already in place before these mtg's take place.
One thing that i haven't read is ,the cancelling/purchasing commercial fishing permits.This rape of fish population,for economic gain for a few.Is wrong & i am glad that ESRD. put a stop to it.So let's see what happens now,with the rebound.
Imo there are other factors decimating our fisheries.Licenceing really has to be looked seriously.ie .catch limits for family fishing ,with one licence.By doubling,tripiling,quading possession limits on that one lic.Has to stop..

have you taken the survey at the top of the page? thats one of the things they are looking for input in, this is a chance to give your opinion before things are changed for once. BTW the whites were stocked FOR the purpose of commercial fishing, not for sports fishing. no one knows what impact the cessation of netting will have on the lakes but time will tell. going to be some huge whites in the next few years for sure

tallieho
11-27-2014, 09:53 AM
have you taken the survey at the top of the page? thats one of the things they are looking for input in, this is a chance to give your opinion before things are changed for once. BTW the whites were stocked FOR the purpose of commercial fishing, not for sports fishing. no one knows what impact the cessation of netting will have on the lakes but time will tell. going to be some huge whites in the next few years for sure

Did both of the surveys/consultations,when they were first posted.

Pikebreath
11-27-2014, 11:11 AM
New province wide regulations coming. Could be down to a 1 pike limit instead of the 3 over 63cm.

So is this conjecture? Or do you have substantiation from ESRD? Would the limit be one pike any size or 1 over 63 cm?

I for one would welcome a reduction to 1 pike daily,,,, still gives the opportunity for a fresh fish fry at the lake,,, but should allow more pike to "grow up".

MoFugger21
11-27-2014, 01:19 PM
So is this conjecture? Or do you have substantiation from ESRD? Would the limit be one pike any size or 1 over 63 cm?

I for one would welcome a reduction to 1 pike daily,,,, still gives the opportunity for a fresh fish fry at the lake,,, but should allow more pike to "grow up".

1 over 63cm for all (I believe southern) reservoirs that aren't shut down is what I heard from a few guys at the meeting on Tuesday.

Mackinaw
11-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Was at last years meeting in Vulcan. Missed last night.
Last year agree Travers was somewhat flawed but all they had. More money is needed so more testing can be done.

More money for fishing is going to be extremely hard to get. No way should esrd get more money when there are cuts to education and health care etc.

I dont think ESRD is doing all that bad. High population sucks right now and is a drain on all our resources!

Side note I would like to see all Southern Reservoirs go to 1 walleye over 50 or 55. No need for 3 anymore.:)

I agree from what I've seen ESRD does as good as it can with the resources it has on hand.
The population compared to the number of water systems in Alberta is not an easy thing to manage on a tight budget. No mater what they deside it will not please everyone. All they can do is the best for the fishery itself.

Mack

huntsfurfish
11-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Also, having input is good only to a certain extent. Just because a bunch of people want things to go in a certain direction or changes. Does not necessarily warrant a change. That is what the Bios get paid for.

Kokanee9
12-01-2014, 08:49 PM
1 over 63cm for all (I believe southern) reservoirs that aren't shut down is what I heard from a few guys at the meeting on Tuesday.

Just wondering if there was anything else brought up at either of the meetings.
I was stuck in BC while they were happening.

EZM
12-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Also, having input is good only to a certain extent. Just because a bunch of people want things to go in a certain direction or changes. Does not necessarily warrant a change. That is what the Bios get paid for.

100% agree.

I am confident bios are not out there "fabricating and falsifying" data ..... that seems paranoid to me. There is simply nothing to gain by doing this that I can think of.

They have also committed to educating themselves, and working for moderate salary to do what they love to do .... beating them up doesn't change the fact they likely are more qualified to make the best decision ( based on data driven facts ) instead of listening to opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd like them to continue to make changes and execute on recommendations based on what is best for us all - not what is best for Joe meat fisherman and certainly not based on Joe's opinion either.

I am confident they are doing the best they can given the challenging conditions of our limited amount of watersheds and high fishing pressure.

Let the fish swim another day and buy some fish sticks.

Let's have a resource for our future. Killing and eating every fish out there isn't a path for success here in Alberta. Harvests need to be carefully managed - period.

Anyone who hasn't figured that one out, based on our differentiated, highly pressured and very limited ecosystem (watersheds) here in Alberta is simply unwilling to open their eyes and ears to hear the truth.

burbotman
12-01-2014, 09:34 PM
100% agree.

I am confident bios are not out there "fabricating and falsifying" data ..... that seems paranoid to me. There is simply nothing to gain by doing this that I can think of.

They have also committed to educating themselves, and working for moderate salary to do what they love to do .... beating them up doesn't change the fact they likely are more qualified to make the best decision ( based on data driven facts ) instead of listening to opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd like them to continue to make changes and execute on recommendations based on what is best for us all - not what is best for Joe meat fisherman and certainly not based on Joe's opinion either.

I am confident they are doing the best they can given the challenging conditions of our limited amount of watersheds and high fishing pressure.

Let the fish swim another day and buy some fish sticks.

Let's have a resource for our future. Killing and eating every fish out there isn't a path for success here in Alberta. Harvests need to be carefully managed - period.

Anyone who hasn't figured that one out, based on our differentiated, highly pressured and very limited ecosystem (watersheds) here in Alberta is simply unwilling to open their eyes and ears to hear the truth.

Very well said, especially that last paragraph

Macdrizzle
12-02-2014, 11:38 AM

I don't think you have seen the hordes of fishermen in Travers and Mcgregor whose sole purpose is to capture and kill as many whitefish as they can every outing. I've seen the same people go 2-3 times a week and bringing home their 10 limits of whites each time. When they catch over limit, they simply give the extras to their neighbors so they stay within legal limits. Illegal? yes. Easy to enforce? No. I was informed that they have their own forum dedicated to just catching whitefish. Google map coordinates, methods, setups, seasonal locations, all posted clear as day for anyone to see. The amount of people that goes to these lakes on a typical weekend are absolutely staggering. Mind you, this forum isn't in english.

Jonesy
12-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Why can't they look into slot sizes like sask does? It sucks that the legal size limit falls into good breeding category...

Crankbait
12-02-2014, 06:17 PM
I don't think you have seen the hordes of fishermen in Travers and Mcgregor whose sole purpose is to capture and kill as many whitefish as they can every outing. I've seen the same people go 2-3 times a week and bringing home their 10 limits of whites each time. When they catch over limit, they simply give the extras to their neighbors so they stay within legal limits. Illegal? yes. Easy to enforce? No. I was informed that they have their own forum dedicated to just catching whitefish. Google map coordinates, methods, setups, seasonal locations, all posted clear as day for anyone to see. The amount of people that goes to these lakes on a typical weekend are absolutely staggering. Mind you, this forum isn't in english.

you've seen it then?

there's a guy on here who will send you every spot imaginable too and it is in English, you should see the hits on his thread.

Macdrizzle
12-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Can't say I've seen the threads. Was informed by a buddy who tagged along a couple times with the hordes. All I'm sayin is you shouldn't concern yourself with whites overtaking the lakes. There are plenty of people catching them very efficiently. Don't believe me? Take a drive out to travers this weekend if you got the time and see for yourself.

hit1987
12-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Just curious how do you know "I've seen the same people go 2-3 times a week", does it means you went at least 2-3 times a week and every time you met the same people. Kind of jealous both of you.

Cheers

cujo1969
12-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Took a look along the north dam on McGregor on sunday didn't see any whites being caught or laying on the ice. lots of guys trying too.

Macdrizzle
12-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Just curious how do you know "I've seen the same people go 2-3 times a week", does it means you went at least 2-3 times a week and every time you met the same people. Kind of jealous both of you.

Cheers

Correct. I work 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off. These guys however were retired folks.