PDA

View Full Version : Lac la Biche, Walleye

Kim473
11-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Do you think they will ever open this lake up for Walleye? Over the last 10 years they have stocked it with about 1 billion Walleye and the lake has been closed for that long for this fish. What are your thoughts? For me, Tags at the very least, possibly a retension of two in a slot size or something.

Or are they using this lake as a holding pen to stock other lakes in the area? Such a masive sized lake.

spaded
11-25-2014, 01:57 PM
1 Billion walleye and the lake is closed to fish eyes?

got to be more to this story... that just seems odd?

Kim473
11-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Check the stocking reports. Maybe not a billion but 5 mill or more every year for the past 10 or more years.

spoons
11-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Thats Alberta for you..Ever wonder why you can go to Calling lake in the winter and good chance you are the only one there. This province is not much into promoting the sport in my opinion. Long way to drive for 1 fish and we all know Calling is loaded with eyes. Llb is the same.I know lots of people who fished years ago and dont bother anymore. I still get out there as much as I can.

Fishslayer99
11-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Thats Alberta for you..Ever wonder why you can go to Calling lake in the winter and good chance you are the only one there. This province is not much into promoting the sport in my opinion. Long way to drive for 1 fish and we all know Calling is loaded with eyes. Llb is the same.I know lots of people who fished years ago and dont bother anymore. I still get out there as much as I can.

It is a shame, Pine coulee rez comes to mind for me it has had walleye of all the same size for the past 4 or more years. There are so many of them it seems like they don't grow, and if you do catch a pike from there they look like they have not eaten in weeks!
I don't think it would hurt that lake at all to open it up for one year at one keeper per person

unclebuck
11-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Lots of 6 + lbers, but subsistence fishing takes precedence over sportsfishing. Not a chance that it will be opened to the non-subsistence fishermen anytime in the near future, according to the local fish cops.

Cory1
11-25-2014, 06:57 PM
It is a shame, Pine coulee rez comes to mind for me it has had walleye of all the same size for the past 4 or more years. There are so many of them it seems like they don't grow, and if you do catch a pike from there they look like they have not eaten in weeks!
I don't think it would hurt that lake at all to open it up for one year at one keeper per person

Look at how many people are out there with current regulations, now imagine them letting you keep one (couldn't put a size limit as they wouldn't reach it), plus all the new anglers coming that are only interested in keeping fish.
In my opinion that's a quick way to lead a fishery down a slippery slope.

I agree something needs to be done, but don't think that's the answer.

Cory

lakerfisher
11-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Lots of 6 + lbers, but subsistence fishing takes precedence over sportsfishing. Not a chance that it will be opened to the non-subsistence fishermen anytime in the near future, according to the local fish cops.

X 2.

Indians first tax paying whiteman second,, get used to it, its the new Canada.

Crazy4MooseHunting
11-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Yup, there is some nice eyes in lac la biche. But that is why i hope they never open it. Do i believe they need to keep stocking it? No. But in my opinion they should leave it closed. I think the idea of going to catch a nice walleye, getting a picture of it and releasing it, is true sport fishing. The picture lasts longer, and the fish lives for a chance to make someone elses day. Dont get me wrong, i eat fish and enjoy it. But the days of fishing for subsistance are long gone. If you can afford to go fishing you can afford groceries. I want my nepthews to be able to fish and enjoy fishing as i have. But with the common fishing practices of many its all or nothing, it would be back to a collased lake. If they were to open it, it would be like waiu. A small city every weekend until it crashes. Even with it closed the amount of walleye coming out through native nets and poachers throughtout the year is enough. If they poach them know, they wont stop if they openned it.

Talking moose
11-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Yup, there is some nice eyes in lac la biche. But that is why i hope they never open it. Do i believe they need to keep stocking it? No. But in my opinion they should leave it closed. I think the idea of going to catch a nice walleye, getting a picture of it and releasing it, is true sport fishing. The picture lasts longer, and the fish lives for a chance to make someone elses day. Dont get me wrong, i eat fish and enjoy it. But the days of fishing for subsistance are long gone. If you can afford to go fishing you can afford groceries. I want my nepthews to be able to fish and enjoy fishing as i have. But with the common fishing practices of many its all or nothing, it would be back to a collased lake. If they were to open it, it would be like waiu. A small city every weekend until it crashes. Even with it closed the amount of walleye coming out through native nets and poachers throughtout the year is enough. If they poach them know, they wont stop if they openned it.
I would much rather have great catch and release fishing as opposed to poor to mediocre catch and keep fishing.

Pikebreath
11-25-2014, 10:25 PM
If they poach them know, they wont stop if they openned it.

That is the sad truth all right!

Davef
11-26-2014, 06:44 AM
When I was out there this summer the fish biologist said this was the first year that the walleye spawned in the lake. They expected it would still be a couple of years before they opened it up to limited harvest. In the meantime enjoy the great fishing there.
Dave

EGGPLANT
11-26-2014, 03:33 PM
The province is working hard to get this fishery going again. Its getting there ten years ago nothing!!! Now getting better and better

Cheers

Eggplant

curtz
11-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Not sure if it will open to the white man, natives can take all they want

7magtime
12-30-2014, 02:48 PM

As well as Touchwood, Pinehurst etc. up in that area. Pretty sad....

Battery
12-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Getting pretty tired of all the Walleye in Alberta being closed to be honest. Multiple fisheries have been absolutely ruined due to them eating all the Perch and other fish. You cant even throw your lure out without getting a Walleye before the hook even touches bottom. By closing Walleye everywhere, they've effectively killed off Perch, which makes you unable to keep anything to eat. Ridiculous.

Elkaholic338
12-30-2014, 03:04 PM
What I find most interesting is that in southern AB, where a large percentage of the population base is located, on many of the lakes and resivours the limit is 3 walleye per person, yet in northern AB where there are fewer people and many many more lakes, you cannot keep even one on many lakes. IMHO if they want to sustain the lakes, they need to open more lakes to ease the pressure on the few that you can keep in. I believe that a slot size would be the best answer, to allow the mature fish to remain and some of the mid size to be culled.

Battery
12-30-2014, 03:08 PM
What I find most interesting is that in southern AB, where a large percentage of the population base is located, on many of the lakes and resivours the limit is 3 walleye per person, yet in northern AB where there are fewer people and many many more lakes, you cannot keep even one on many lakes. IMHO if they want to sustain the lakes, they need to open more lakes to ease the pressure on the few that you can keep in. I believe that a slot size would be the best answer, to allow the mature fish to remain and some of the mid size to be culled.

What lake has 3 Walleye limit in SAB?

mickeyjim
12-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Why doesn't Alberta take a look at what other provinces are doing east of us? Sask. has way better fishing, and not just the northern lakes. Diefenbaker, Last Mountain, Tobin and tons of others receive way more fishing pressure than any lakes in southern Alberta ever see, yet they produce quality fish and in good numbers. Most of Sask. lakes you can keep Walleye from, whether it be a general limit, or a slot. How come the fishery there can sustain being run like this and ours in Alberta cannot?

Northern Yaker
12-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Why doesn't Alberta take a look at what other provinces are doing east of us? Sask. has way better fishing, and not just the northern lakes. Diefenbaker, Last Mountain, Tobin and tons of others receive way more fishing pressure than any lakes in southern Alberta ever see, yet they produce quality fish and in good numbers. Most of Sask. lakes you can keep Walleye from, whether it be a general limit, or a slot. How come the fishery there can sustain being run like this and ours in Alberta cannot?

Saskatchewan has a provincial population of roughly 1.1 million people, when we in Alberta have at least 2 cities with populations larger than the entire province so a comparison is pretty hard, but...
A a lake in Saskatchewan will never see the pressure an Alberta lake will..

trigger7mm
12-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Well said!

58thecat
12-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Well said!

Nope, allow a person to keep one or something to that therefore the picture takers and eaters can enjoy sport fishing in its entirety. I have fished lakes in Saskatchewan and taken a lot of pictures but sure love a shore lunch, catch 50 plus in a day and eat one sounds awesome to me.

58thecat
12-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Saskatchewan has a provincial population of roughly 1.1 million people, when we in Alberta have at least 2 cities with populations larger than the entire province so a comparison is pretty hard, but...
A a lake in Saskatchewan will never see the pressure an Alberta lake will..

I fished a few lakes around here in which the walleye are so dense yet we can't have a shore lunch of one, go figure!

Habfan
12-30-2014, 07:35 PM

I don't get this statement !! Do you mean all status natives can keep any fish they want, from any lake ??? Just want to clarify before I add my comments to you !!!

GregT
12-30-2014, 08:19 PM
I wonder if srd could use the thick walleye populaion to stock some lakes in the vicinity and get a few more lakes producing that have collapsed.

Bushmonkey
12-30-2014, 08:59 PM
I swear the worst thing to happen to lac la biche is stocking it with walleye.

1-Rarely did natives net it BEFORE the walleye pop's came back up. Now they are netting it like their lives depended on it. They literally net the river's during spawn now. This takes massive amounts of walleye and pike out of the lake.

2-never before has lac la biche seen so much fishing pressure because people now want to catch the walleye. It's astonishing the amount of people on that lake now compared to a few years ago.

3- now that there's walleye, there's poaching.

because of these 3 reasons that lake is starting to take a turn for the worse. Not only are the walleye on their way to being doomed, the trophy pike in that lake are in the same boat. I've seen the average size and the number of pike in that lake literally collapse compared to previous years.

EZM
12-30-2014, 09:24 PM

With all do respect, that is a poor analogy ...

Alberta has 9000 lakes and >5 Million people

Sask has <2 million people and 90,000 lakes

Sask with 10 times the lakes also has close to 20 times the amount of water with 40% of the population.

Thats a 50 to 1 comparison ..... do the math yourself.

There is NO WAY the fishing pressure in Saskatchewan remotely approaches that of the pressure Alberta's Lakes receive.

Alberta cannot sustain a open harvest for many of the watersheds in the province. It's far from perfect (as there are many lakes where walleye are numerous and stunted ) but for it just not possible to manage Alberta like they manage Sask.

EZM
12-30-2014, 09:29 PM
When I was out there this summer the fish biologist said this was the first year that the walleye spawned in the lake. They expected it would still be a couple of years before they opened it up to limited harvest. In the meantime enjoy the great fishing there.
Dave

Dave,

I think you may have misunderstood the Biologist. Walleye spawning in Slave, finally, for the first time?

Maybe he meant the new stockers ...... I would assume walleye have a self sustaining recruitment (spawning) population they are, in fact, native to Slave Lake, as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure nobody was stocking them a thousand years ago.

I would find that very hard to believe.

bubba 96
12-30-2014, 09:37 PM
What lake has 3 Walleye limit in SAB?

I know a couple, awesome lakes..

Even 1 within 1/2 hr from calgary...

Talking moose
12-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Dave,

I think you may have misunderstood the Biologist. Walleye spawning in Slave, finally, for the first time?

Maybe he meant the new stockers ...... I would assume walleye have a self sustaining recruitment (spawning) population they are, in fact, native to Slave Lake, as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure nobody was stocking them a thousand years ago.

I would find that very hard to believe.

How come your talking about Slave?

EZM
12-30-2014, 09:50 PM
How come your talking about Slave?

Lol .... typo ... sorry .... was reading a paper on Slave ..... multi-tasking ....

I need a snickers

#4fisherman
12-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Dave

I got the same response from the CO there this summer. He added that the reproduction cycle is about 5 or 6 years (the one they've been waiting for) and they are year 1 into that cycle. My preference would be to open it up to limited harvesting in a few years.
I agree with Dave's comments about enjoying the fishing there in the meantime. I had the best few hours of fishing out there (with my wife and grandson) in July -- close to 30 fish in 3 hours -- with my usually non-fishing wife outfishing me!

mickeyjim
12-31-2014, 01:01 PM

Sask with 10 times the lakes also has close to 20 times the amount of water with 40% of the population.

There is NO WAY the fishing pressure in Saskatchewan remotely approaches that of the pressure Alberta's Lakes receive.

Alberta cannot sustain a open harvest for many of the watersheds in the province. It's far from perfect (as there are many lakes where walleye are numerous and stunted ) but for it just not possible to manage Alberta like they manage Sask.

I fish southern Alberta's reservoir's frequently and rarely see many people out on them. Might be a shack or two on them and a dozen people scattered throughout the rest of the lake.
I was at a lake in NE Sask. over the christmas break and counted 20 shacks and probably 50 people scattered over the rest of the lake. There is way more fishing pressure on the lakes I mentioned than the lakes in southern Alberta.

Warmbreeze
12-31-2014, 01:22 PM
The population to lake number is a valid argument for most fisheries. But how do you explain Tobin? (Never been to Diefenbaker or Last Mountain).
That lake has more pressure then I have ever seen on a lake.....by a long shot. License plates from 15 different provinces/states... It boggles my mind how it can sustain for that long.

I do agree with the pressure the average lake in Alberta gets to Saskatchewan is a lot more though. But how do those outliers in Saskatchewan work?

One thing that really gets me is that if we cannot have a lake the can sustain fish being taken out of it on a regular basis why do they open them when they know a few years down the road they will be closing it.

I want some trophy lakes. Calling and Pigeon for example, have the potential to produce monster walleyes so why not make them catch and release only?

Walleye do taste good but catching a trophy tastes way better to the brain then eating a walleye. Heck myself and I bet you 95% of the people on this board have spent so much on fishing (boat, gas, bait, lures, gear, lodging, etc. etc.) that we could eat lobster and steak with caviar for appetizer every meal for the rest of our lives.

Walleye101
12-31-2014, 01:59 PM
You got that right warmbreeze!!

lakerfisher
12-31-2014, 03:22 PM

But 80,000 of those lakes are not accessible by any easy means and another 5,000 are sloughs that contain nothing but hammer handle pike. If you took the actual regularly fished lakes in sask and compared them to the regularly fished lakes in alberta I bet one would be surprised at how close the numbers would be.

No Alberta miss managed many lakes in this province but it wasn't by over harvest by the line angler. In some cases it was over comercial fishing in some cases it was not enough harvest and the game fish ate themselves out of house and home. Not saying this is the case in all but many in this province.

I am a regular on LLB lake was born and raised there and this lake is an example of over netting for years. It's at an awesome point right now one of the best fisheries in the country. Many of us locals spent a lot of time and money getting it to where it is today. Hopefully it's many years down the line until they open it again for walleye retention and when they do I hope it's done right this time. A slot size for a couple eaters and keep the heavy feeders in check. One thing they have to do is to get the substance nets out of there, there has to be some sort of restriction put on that lake to preserve it.

I could show you guys some pictures of some true beauties Pike and Walleye we have taken out of there the last few years,, but I don't post pics on these sites but take my word for it. Get out there and enjoy it, it's an absolute gem of a fishery.

smitty9
12-31-2014, 03:54 PM
But 80,000 of those lakes are not accessible by any easy means and another 5,000 are sloughs that contain nothing but hammer handle pike. If you took the actual regularly fished lakes in sask and compared them to the regularly fished lakes in alberta I bet one would be surprised at how close the numbers would be.

No, the numbers aren't close at all. EZM's original number is way off. If Alberta has anywhere near 9000 lakes I'm a monkey's uncle. Or he's counting every duck slough, puddle, pond, and oxbow.

The most commonly cited figure in SRD's published literature puts the number of "sportfish" bearing lakes at a little over 800. (803 or something like that?). And most of those are North of Edmonton.

AB has very little water. And it isn't close to Saskatchewan.

And I agree with the rest of your comment. In fact, both factors are at pay and have created the perfect storm: gross mismanagement PLUS significant angling pressure that lacks a sufficient number of waterbodies to spread itself out on.

Smitty

Warmbreeze
12-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Why do people have to keep fish? People want to keep walleye and the government allows it which in turn ruins the fisheries. Why not treat them like sturgeon where you cannot keep one at all? Lots of people still fish for sturgeon and have a lot of fun doing it knowing they cannot keep one.

Lets have good quality fishing with large fish and good numbers. Canada is not a 3rd world country and we do not rely on fish we catch for our food. I am not saying don't ever open it up, but let the lakes replenish first to a very healthy state.

Another thing I have noticed is when the walleye numbers increase the pike and perch seem to suffer. Nothing scientific just something I have noticed. I barely use leader because chances are a pike it not going to hit my lure. Also, commercial fishing is finished and they target whites. I have seen people net for whites in the fall during the spawn and have 0 by catch. In the winter when they used to commercial fish they would have by catch. I don't agree netting during a spawn but some of these lakes are being taken over biomass-wise by whites. Don't tell me 5-10 pound whites don't compete with perch and walleye for food.

I hope this made sense as I have had a few New Years Eve drinks and would be fishing but my auger recoil broke! My main point I am getting at is I want better quality fishing for now and future generations. I don't want to take away anything from anyone but we could have better fishing if a few sacrifices were made!! I mean nothing but the best for our awesome sport!

lakerfisher
12-31-2014, 05:18 PM
I disagree on the keeping of fish. Managed properly there is enough in the recource to allow a person a few fish a year to enjoy. No this doesn't mean taking your limit every time this means a half dozen meals a year.

For the life of me I don't know why this province stopped its stocking programs. There is enough money in this province to create a put and take fishery and why not. Many states in the US with higher density populations and less availible money do it why can't we. It's not a money issue its a money management issue and money allocation problem. With all the money wasted on research every year why not make it simple. Keep the hatcheries and rearing ponds going and give something back to the people rather than just take.

I think walleye fishing in Alberta should be done similar to Chinook fishing on the west coast. Retention done on certain lakes which is a lot of them in this province capable of it. Pay for your walleye resource stamp, this money would go directly back into the stocking programs. Put the limit on so many a year, yes a daily retention limit but also a yearly per eligible person. Say 10 per year, fish caught have to be marked off on your licence and once it's full you are done your retention for the year.

Do the numbers, charge $20.00 multiply this by the people buying the tags, I think a system like this would almost completely fund itself.

Give back to the people once and a while not just take from them.

Bigwoodsman
12-31-2014, 05:33 PM
I disagree on the keeping of fish. Managed properly there is enough in the recource to allow a person a few fish a year to enjoy. No this doesn't mean taking your limit every time this means a half dozen meals a year.

For the life of me I don't know why this province stopped its stocking programs. There is enough money in this province to create a put and take fishery and why not. Many states in the US with higher density populations and less availible money do it why can't we. It's not a money issue its a money management issue and money allocation problem. With all the money wasted on research every year why not make it simple. Keep the hatcheries and rearing ponds going and give something back to the people rather than just take.

I think walleye fishing in Alberta should be done similar to Chinook fishing on the west coast. Retention done on certain lakes which is a lot of them in this province capable of it. Pay for your walleye resource stamp, this money would go directly back into the stocking programs. Put the limit on so many a year, yes a daily retention limit but also a yearly per eligible person. Say 10 per year, fish caught have to be marked off on your licence and once it's full you are done your retention for the year.

Do the numbers, charge $20.00 multiply this by the people buying the tags, I think a system like this would almost completely fund itself.

Give back to the people once and a while not just take from them.

The problem with your idea is that it makes to much sense. A biologist or a politician would never agree with a self funded self sustaining fishery that gave back to the people. There's nothing in it for them.

BW

lakerfisher
12-31-2014, 05:46 PM

Another problem with the numbers is this. There aren't 5 million people that fish in Alberta. According to the SRD last year there were 266,000 fishermen. Now out of those people how many are walleye fishermen, maybe a third so let's say even 90,000 out of those how many are active and aren't spoon chuckers according to stats 10% of the fishermen catch 90% percent of the fish, this I beleive. So in reality we probably have maybe 20,000 people actively going after walleye on a regular basis in Alberta. Come on are you telling me a province this size with its resources can't supply us with a sustained walleye fishery. 10 x 20,000 is 200,000 walleye a year lol that's a joke. Put it in the hands of private contractors to manage it would be done at a fraction of the cost and effectively. Keep in mind we havnt brought into consideration our huge rivers and canal systems that also contain walleye. Nope,, it's could be done quite easily.

lakerfisher
12-31-2014, 05:52 PM
And another thing while I'm at it. The only reason most of our lakes are at a zero retention is because it's a cheap fools way of management. It's much simpler to just close it down and lay fines for violating than it is to actualy manage it. By shutting it down you know darn well people will poach thus you create a revenue source through fines. It's a moronic approach to an issue, simple but moronic.

Habfan
12-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Where were guys when I posted walleye stocking concerns ?

huntsfurfish
12-31-2014, 06:23 PM
I believe the Alberta numbers are 600 versus 6000 for sask.
Population is about 4 to 1.

At any rate, comparing the 2 is ridiculous.
Alberta is not even close to being comparable to Sask, Manitoba, or Ontario.

I believe what the wildlife person was getting at is it takes at least 10 years for a spawning fishes spawn to spawn. (think i got that right):)

So it takes a walleye egg/fingerling 5years to spawn and then another 5 for the first spawning to spawn. It then needs another 4-5 to determine a good viable population.
Make a little more sense now?

huntsfurfish
12-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Others will say that most of the lakes in Sask are up north, well guess what, so are Albertas.

Other keys are most of Albertas Southern waters are very small in comparison. That makes a difference as well!

Fertility is an issue, as is reservoir versus natural lakes and at least a dozen other variables! Water levels.

Habfan
12-31-2014, 07:13 PM
Being a person from Sask, I have fished Tobin,Dief,Lac la ronge and any in between, and I can tell you, it is much easier to catch walleye in Alberta lakes with zero retention. If you think the fishing in Sask is better than Alberta, you are wrong. The walleye fishing here is easy compared to most lakes in Sask. If they stock walleyes in lakes for catch and keep in Alberta you will find that they will be a lot harder to catch, not for the fact that they are fished out, but for the fact that fish, like anything else, have survival skills that will allow the fish to spawn and thrive in tough conditions such as angler pressure

huntsfurfish
12-31-2014, 07:36 PM
It also stands to reason that the further you are from large population centers, the better the fishing(generally), both in numbers and size.

People can target fish like whitefish(especially now that commercial fishing is done) they are quick to reproduce and maybe that will help too.

EZM
12-31-2014, 07:39 PM
No, the numbers aren't close at all. EZM's original number is way off. If Alberta has anywhere near 9000 lakes I'm a monkey's uncle. Or he's counting every duck slough, puddle, pond, and oxbow.

The most commonly cited figure in SRD's published literature puts the number of "sportfish" bearing lakes at a little over 800. (803 or something like that?). And most of those are North of Edmonton.

AB has very little water. And it isn't close to Saskatchewan.

And I agree with the rest of your comment. In fact, both factors are at pay and have created the perfect storm: gross mismanagement PLUS significant angling pressure that lacks a sufficient number of waterbodies to spread itself out on.

Smitty

You might be correct .... and therefore, not a Monkey's Uncle .... it could be 900 in Alberta versus 9000 in Sask ... I knew for sure it was 10 to 1 ...... I may have added X 10 for whatever reason in my head ( I'm getting senile after I turned 40 recently).

The amount of watershed ( volumes ) I quoted are also, in ratio, correct, making Sask's "amount of water" far greater than the 10:1 lake / watershed count.

My point is the same.

I stand corrected ...... was going by my failing and aging memory. Leave me alone ad get me a snickers ..... lol

huntsfurfish
12-31-2014, 07:46 PM
You might be correct .... and therefore, not a Monkey's Uncle .... it could be 900 in Alberta versus 9000 in Sask ... I knew for sure it was 10 to 1 ...... I may have added X 10 for whatever reason in my head ( I'm getting senile after I turned 40 recently).

The amount of watershed ( volumes ) I quoted are also, in ratio, correct, making Sask's "amount of water" far greater than the 10:1 lake / watershed count.

My point is the same.

I stand corrected ...... was going by my failing and aging memory. Leave me alone ad get me a snickers ..... lol

My memory is going also:sign0068::(

I believe my numbers are correct though(600 vs 6000) and you are right 10 to 1.
Im going for another snickers.

EZM
12-31-2014, 07:47 PM
I fish southern Alberta's reservoir's frequently and rarely see many people out on them. Might be a shack or two on them and a dozen people scattered throughout the rest of the lake.
I was at a lake in NE Sask. over the christmas break and counted 20 shacks and probably 50 people scattered over the rest of the lake. There is way more fishing pressure on the lakes I mentioned than the lakes in southern Alberta.

You are talking about some statistical anomalies and exceptions. Keep that in mind. It does not change the population of anglers or volume of fishable water overall.

It certainly does not touch on the average biomass, fertility, recruitment and trophic status of each watershed to be able to determine where fish grow faster, more eggs hatch, etc... ultimately and finally creating "more catchable fish per gallon of water".

In the cases you outline, which are the exception to the "norm" you could be 100% correct, "some lakes in Alberta will have less fishing pressure than lakes in Sask" ..... but I would add .... "for the overwhelming majority of the lakes, and as an aggregate total, fishing pressure is significantly higher in Alberta when compared against Saskatchewan"

That was my point. It is a fact.

Habfan
12-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Did anyone ever take into consideration that 10x more people in Sask fish than in Alberta ? On a 1 block section in Saskatoon 5 families fished. In a 1 block section of my house, I'm the only 1 that fishes. It may not be 10 x difference but it is a big difference of fisherman per capita !!!

huntsfurfish
12-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Did anyone ever take into consideration that 10x more people in Sask fish than in Alberta ? On a 1 block section in Saskatoon 5 families fished. In a 1 block section of my house, I'm the only 1 that fishes. It may not be 10 x difference but it is a big difference of fisherman per capita !!!

ok. Fishing licenses sold in Sask just under 140,000 for 2012/13, I believe Alberta was about 230/240,000.
Still almost 2 to 1

So to sum it up Ab has 240,000 fishermen for 600 water bodies.
Sask has 140,000 fishermen for 6000 water bodies.

of course regular population affects these numbers via poaching as well.

Ya lets compare them.:)

bobalong
12-31-2014, 09:37 PM
Another problem with the numbers is this. There aren't 5 million people that fish in Alberta. According to the SRD last year there were 266,000 fishermen. Now out of those people how many are walleye fishermen, maybe a third so let's say even 90,000 out of those how many are active and aren't spoon chuckers according to stats 10% of the fishermen catch 90% percent of the fish, this I beleive. So in reality we probably have maybe 20,000 people actively going after walleye on a regular basis in Alberta. Come on are you telling me a province this size with its resources can't supply us with a sustained walleye fishery. 10 x 20,000 is 200,000 walleye a year lol that's a joke. Put it in the hands of private contractors to manage it would be done at a fraction of the cost and effectively. Keep in mind we havnt brought into consideration our huge rivers and canal systems that also contain walleye. Nope,, it's could be done quite easily.

Actually a few of your numbers are a bit off, first of all there are about 265,000 licenced anglers, but this does not take into account all the anglers under 16 or 65 and over, or the First Nations. Second the most popular sport fish by far since about the mid 80's is walleye.

lakerfisher
01-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Actually a few of your numbers are a bit off, first of all there are about 265,000 licenced anglers, but this does not take into account all the anglers under 16 or 65 and over, or the First Nations. Second the most popular sport fish by far since about the mid 80's is walleye.

I am sure they are they are just numbers I through together. So let's say I am out let's say by 10x the amount that's still only 2,000,000 walleye. If we had a proper hatchery program going stocking 20,000,000 fry a year plus natural spawning fish get where I am going,, it's a very easily obtainable goal.

These programs don't need to be done only by paid people. We need the facilities most of the work outside of the hatchery could be done voluntarily, how many on here wouldn't cherish the opurtunity to help establish a program like this. The thing is we already have the facilities in alberta they just aren't being used, it's sad it really is.

huntsfurfish
01-01-2015, 09:47 AM
I am sure they are they are just numbers I through together. So let's say I am out let's say by 10x the amount that's still only 2,000,000 walleye. If we had a proper hatchery program going stocking 20,000,000 fry a year plus natural spawning fish get where I am going,, it's a very easily obtainable goal.

These programs don't need to be done only by paid people. We need the facilities most of the work outside of the hatchery could be done voluntarily, how many on here wouldn't cherish the opurtunity to help establish a program like this. The thing is we already have the facilities in alberta they just aren't being used, it's sad it really is.

Walleye are not suited to put and take!!
Most lakes have good recruitment and will only support a certain amount of fish. Stocking alone, will not solve the problem. And studies from North or South Dakota(might have been Minnesota). Indicted overstocking is unproductive.

Yes it is numbers and numbers kill fish.:sign0176:

bobalong
01-01-2015, 10:52 AM

No commitment from the government for a dedicated stocking program. Always huge numbers for walleye stocking, if they are stocking fry the survival rate until spawning age is only about 3% so numbers can be a bit deceiving.

The best stocking programs are the ones similar to the successful stocking for Salmon in BC. They set up spawning areas/nets right on the individual lakes, fry are kept in pens until they are more mature, then the "gates" are opened and the larger fry just swim out into the lake. Very successful (around 50% I believe) but this can be pricey, but very successful.

This was/is being done in Saskatchewan on a smaller scale. Small fry are put in small sloughs/dugouts and raised by clubs who are paying for the costs of setups, then stocked to lakes. I can not remember all the details but survival was much greater than 3%, and cost was about 5K. Monitored by F/W but little cost to them. This idea was presented to SRD when I was on the Fisheries Roundtable, it was turned down, reason being we don't have the funds for the biologist to assist and monitor program?????