PDA

View Full Version : Lead jigs etc.

walleyejunkie
11-25-2014, 03:30 PM
have any of you heard that lead has been banned from our lakes such as jigs and cannon balls.i,m hoping that this is just a nasty rumour ????????????

EZM
11-25-2014, 03:38 PM
have any of you heard that lead has been banned from our lakes such as jigs and cannon balls.i,m hoping that this is just a nasty rumour ????????????

There are no restrictions I'm aware of that pertain to lead lures or cannon balls for that matter outside of the national parks.

The national parks limit the size of lead lures used - which must be larger than 50 grams in weight ( 1.76 oz ).

so ...... with a 2 oz jig head or a 10lb lead ball for that matter you are OK in the parks ..... outside of the parks ........... no restrictions that I am aware of.

Fishslayer99
11-25-2014, 05:31 PM
There are no restrictions I'm aware of that pertain to lead lures or cannon balls for that matter outside of the national parks.

The national parks limit the size of lead lures used - which must be larger than 50 grams in weight ( 1.76 oz ).

so ...... with a 2 oz jig head or a 10lb lead ball for that matter you are OK in the parks ..... outside of the parks ........... no restrictions that I am aware of.

EZM, as far as I am aware you hit the nail on the head!

walleyejunkie
11-26-2014, 04:56 AM
thanks for the feed back. glad I just heard a nasty rumour .:)

Wild&Free
11-26-2014, 06:14 AM
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2188/do-lead-fishing-sinkers-threaten-the-environment

It's not banned, but it's not the greatest to be using if you can avoid it.

barbless
11-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Have also heard from someone who fished Lake Minnewanka that you cannot even carry the smaller pieces of lead on your boat in case of capsize and spillage. But only heard. WOM