PDA

View Full Version : camera while targeting whites

happyfisher
11-26-2014, 12:18 AM
I love cameras....but wanna catch whites....so what u think? Some say it matters some say it dont. I was thinking of dressing up my camera cord with fake weeds from a pet store..they use them for aquariums....would this help?

And maybe hanging some fake weeds off the camera too....

Any ideas?

Bassett
11-26-2014, 06:01 AM
I'm no expert but I do they're a very finicky fish. Less things to scare them the better. I just say sight fish em! If you can't see them down the hole who cares!

Hueston
11-26-2014, 07:20 AM
I don't use my camera when fishing for White's, but I do dress my camera cord with fake weeds.

binnzer32
11-26-2014, 07:20 AM
If you really insist on using it put it as far aways as you can. ..

I love cameras....but wanna catch whites....so what u think? Some say it matters some say it dont. I was thinking of dressing up my camera cord with fake weeds from a pet store..they use them for aquariums....would this help?

Any ideas?

aulrich
11-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Or you could shoot down from above

Speckle55
11-26-2014, 11:39 AM
That may help but I don't think its a big issue as you can see in this video I posted last year ..just have your camera hole away from your fishing hole the hole in video is the one I am fishing and I am videoing the screen in front of me with my photo camera also this is the size of that fish

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/th_007_zps5e93c246.mp4 (http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/007_zps5e93c246.mp4)

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/004_zpsf5cfdf5e.jpg

David:)

Any ideas?

FishAb
11-26-2014, 12:48 PM
there finnicky fish but i havent had a problem catching them when my camera is down , but like some people say just make sure that your camera hole is a good ways away from your tent or wherever your fishing.

happyfisher
11-26-2014, 01:06 PM
So how far do u figure?...like 7 feet? My shack is a 6x8 shack?....oh hi but I have a fish phone...

Hummm

slingshotz
11-26-2014, 01:31 PM
I've had whites bump into my camera (Marcum) often so I don't think it always scares them. Like any fish, there's times when they are wary and others when they don't care. Unless the camera is moving around, it probably doesn't matter too much if it's about 3 or more feet away from your jig.

This is my video from 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R2iAYtEnE

Lots of whites that didn't care about the camera OR my lure lol.

happyfisher
11-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Wow there are a ton there.....what camera u using...

binnzer32
11-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Match the hatch. .. they are eating burbot eggs....I've had whites bump into my camera (Marcum) often so I don't think it always scares them. Like any fish, there's times when they are wary and others when they don't care. Unless the camera is moving around, it probably doesn't matter too much if it's about 3 or more feet away from your jig.

Barnes19
11-26-2014, 02:25 PM
We found the Whitefish to be skittish around the camera until we turned the light off, then they came right in.

CanadianBadass
11-26-2014, 02:33 PM
That may help but I don't think its a big issue as you can see in this video I posted last year ..just have your camera hole away from your fishing hole the hole in video is the one I am fishing and I am videoing the screen in front of me with my photo camera also this is the size of that fish

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/th_007_zps5e93c246.mp4 (http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/007_zps5e93c246.mp4)

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/004_zpsf5cfdf5e.jpg

David:)

This year I will also be posting on that bench again lol, have not been back there for at least 10 Years, But I wanna go back badly ! lol

Jamie Black R/T
11-26-2014, 02:35 PM
ive found whites have no problem swimming right up to the camera...with or without the fake plants attached.

but getting them to actively bite in close to it is another story.

Night and day difference in fishing success with the use of the flasher instead of the camera.

bwackwabbit
11-26-2014, 02:46 PM
I have found that it depends on the mood of the fish that day. Specifically if they are feeding aggressively or not.

The more aggressively they are feeding the less they notice the camera. As evidence of this theory I present this video taken minutes after a ball of Burbot were spawning on this same flat.

http://youtu.be/GjtQTHezCac

At no point did they even notice the camera.

slingshotz
11-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Wow there are a ton there.....what camera u using...

March vs825sd, incredible system and even though I had two cameras die on me, Marcum service is top notch and I got replacement ones for free very quickly.

They were feeding after burbot spawn as well just like bwackwabbit's video.

GTZ
11-27-2014, 08:59 PM
I've had whites bump into my camera (Marcum) often so I don't think it always scares them. Like any fish, there's times when they are wary and others when they don't care. Unless the camera is moving around, it probably doesn't matter too much if it's about 3 or more feet away from your jig.

Wow that's A LOT of whites...

WayneChristie
11-27-2014, 11:11 PM
March vs825sd, incredible system and even though I had two cameras die on me, Marcum service is top notch and I got replacement ones for free very quickly.

They were feeding after burbot spawn as well just like bwackwabbit's video.

really makes one question their fishing luck with that many fish and no bites, hate it when that happens! been there done that . thats why I went home for my bow! :sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish
11-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Break out the salmon eggs for bait.:)

CanadianBadass
11-28-2014, 05:36 PM
My camera has a Point down option for the cord, so I just put it up in the hole like a flasher, I have had very poor success with whites, but the one I did catch was when my camera was face down, every other time I tried I found them finicky like others have said !

canadiantdi
11-28-2014, 06:56 PM
They don't seem to mind the camera at wab

MagnumMan
12-01-2014, 07:09 AM
I had one circling around for ever but would not strike, I remember reading about them being camera shy, I pulled the camera and he bit within 2 mins.

Might have been a Fluke..

Jamie Black R/T
12-01-2014, 08:20 AM
I had one circling around for ever but would not strike, I remember reading about them being camera shy, I pulled the camera and he bit within 2 mins.

Might have been a Fluke..
It wasnt....they seem curious around cameras and will swim within inches of it. But rarely will you have one bite on film.

We have done it. But been fishing long enough to realize how much better it is without the camera down there.

EZM
12-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Whitefish can be frustrating ..... while fishing for pike/walleye with minnows, they would come up, but not take the minnow on the hook. They seemed to be studying the presentation.

If a minnow happen to fall off the hook .... no problem ..... they would quickly zoom in and vacuum that minnow up pretty quickly.

Clever little whites drive me crazy !

WayneChristie
12-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Whitefish can be frustrating ..... while fishing for pike/walleye with minnows, they would come up, but not take the minnow on the hook. They seemed to be studying the presentation.

If a minnow happen to fall off the hook .... no problem ..... they would quickly zoom in and vacuum that minnow up pretty quickly.

Clever little whites drive me crazy !

I caught my only 2 last winter on minnows, I jut put a small baithook on some light line and buried it in the minnow. got a decent walleye on the same rig, hoping to get more this winter on the same, I want to smoke a bunch of those cucumber smellin fishes!:sHa_shakeshout: camera was pointed down the hole in 8 feet of water

EZM
12-01-2014, 09:21 PM
I caught my only 2 last winter on minnows, I jut put a small baithook on some light line and buried it in the minnow. got a decent walleye on the same rig, hoping to get more this winter on the same, I want to smoke a bunch of those cucumber smellin fishes!:sHa_shakeshout: camera was pointed down the hole in 8 feet of water

I will definitely give that a try ...... they don't bite my wire worms and seem to be messing with me.

If nothing else I will slice up some cucumbers and pretend I've killed one of the buggers.

WayneChristie
12-01-2014, 09:34 PM
I will definitely give that a try ...... they don't bite my wire worms and seem to be messing with me.

If nothing else I will slice up some cucumbers and pretend I've killed one of the buggers.

I actually didnt hook this one because I was busy landing a pike on my other line the same time it finally decided to eat my minnow of course. but I did catch it a short time later when it came back. like I said, the camera was pointing down the hole in about 8 feet of water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0w5vXZcb6A&list=UUwe5Lz6Cegmk8VLpcIjBl6A

Kim473
12-02-2014, 10:54 AM
I have found that they tend to stay away from the area. 10ft or more. I have better luck without the cam than with it. Perch are a differant story.

happyfisher
12-02-2014, 08:53 PM
OMG im really slow....just figured out in the "tail" section of my camera there is a loop to hold the camera vertical.....lol......man thats funny.....

so how far down do i put the camera? just below the ice?

LOL man now im pumped.....

thanks

Happy

WayneChristie
12-02-2014, 09:09 PM
OMG im really slow....just figured out in the "tail" section of my camera there is a loop to hold the camera vertical.....lol......man thats funny.....

so how far down do i put the camera? just below the ice?

LOL man now im pumped.....

thanks

Happy

I hang my camera just under the ice if Im fishing shallow. if Im fishing deep I will put it to where I can see my bait/lure. If I catch a big fish its easier to pull it out this way as well before they get tangled in it.

happyfisher
12-02-2014, 09:53 PM
humm well ill be in about 6-10 FOW...so i guess it will just be under the ice.....lol

thanks

Bjay
12-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Have any of you guys tried a blood worm, or small red chronomide. Tied with thread not wire. Say 2x long 12,14,16 hook. The chronomide are available under the ice, in fact they are available all year long. To use one don't jig it. Chronomide don't jig. Put your hook a foot or less from the bottom and leave it for a minute or so then slowly, very slowly, move it up a couple of feet, then slowly lower it keeping contact with it all the time.
Don't use a silver or white wire wrap on the hook. Use a black or grey or tan wrap for segmentation and use fine wire or thread for the spiral wrap. Give them a couple of coats of fly head cement or equivalent to make the fly look like it has some depth to it. To spice the fly up a bit use a silver or chrome bead. Some fish like shiny bright hot spots.
Tight lines
Bjay

drhu22
12-03-2014, 09:27 PM
So how far do u figure?...like 7 feet? My shack is a 6x8 shack?....oh hi but I have a fish phone... Hummm

So call them and invite them for dinner. :sHa_sarcasticlol: