PDA

View Full Version : ATV's Are they legal to use out ice fishing?

rupert
11-27-2014, 08:46 AM
I am thinking you need liability insurance but does anyone know for sure?:confused:

Kim473
11-27-2014, 09:12 AM
You need pl and pd on all atv and sleds if driving on public property if i'm not mistaken. Need plates too.

Jamie Black R/T
11-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Needs to be registered....and that requires liability insurance.

and yes the RCMP do check you while on the lake.

Headdamage
11-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Call it a boat then you don't need insurance ;)

mattpreat
11-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know what the rules are for unloading the quads off the ice? On most of the campgrounds by lakes I ice fish at have signs saying no atvs for the campground, but I assume its completely fine once your actually on the ice. Im just wondering because I like to almost always take my quad out, just to play it safe until the ice is more than good enough for the truck

Jamie Black R/T
11-27-2014, 01:11 PM
never had an issue unloading machines right beside the no atv signs.

There usually isn't any personnel at these parks that time of the year either.

Im sure their concern is ruts and damage that comes with summer atv use.

Wes_G
11-27-2014, 02:25 PM
I am pretty sure the issue is more to do with the unwanted noise and damage that they do. And even though its more common in the summer than the winter since there are far more people using the parks then, off road vehicles are still not allowed in provincial parks, which if I am not mistaken includes the lakes in the winter.

Redfrog
11-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Are you planning on trolling? I can see where it would take a while to cut the slot long enough.:thinking-006:

TROLLER
11-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Only thing I ever drive on the ice is my atv. Never had an issue with parking by any boat launch and heading out.

ATV has to be licensed and insured. You will get checked for that by any Resource officer.

Red Bullets
11-27-2014, 03:32 PM
I am thinking you need liability insurance but does anyone know for sure?:confused:

I am thinking ATV insurance would be the same as automobile insurance.
Maybe void if driving on a frozen lake.

kevinhits
11-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Chain lakes is a provincial park but yet always see ATV's driving on the ice

Bigdad013
11-27-2014, 05:59 PM

The lake is not a provincial park, just the campground

WayneChristie
11-27-2014, 06:02 PM
The lake is not a provincial park, just the campground

same with Newell, most of the islands are provincial park, but the ice isnt

TROLLER
11-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Well now that makes we wonder about Spray. Is the lake part of the provincial park or not.

CO told me you could not drive on the ice but the guides are out all the time, apparently they get a permit.

How could you find out if the lake is Provincial park or not.

Bigdad013
11-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Well now that makes we wonder about Spray. Is the lake part of the provincial park or not.

CO told me you could not drive on the ice but the guides are out all the time, apparently they get a permit.

How could you find out if the lake is Provincial park or not.

I believe the lake is part of the park. You can find it on alberta provincial parks site.

Wes_G
11-27-2014, 10:52 PM

Doesn't mean they are allowed to be...... This is what I could find. Doesn't necessarily state that the lake is part of the park though, or just the land mass.

Prohibitions
Right of quiet and peaceful enjoyment

No person shall interfere with the right of others to the quiet and
peaceful enjoyment of a provincial park or recreation area.
AR 102/85 s7

Operation of off-highway vehicles and cycles

(1)
Notwithstanding anything in section 26 to the contrary, no
person shall operate or use an off-highway vehicle or any similar
specialized means of conveyance, in
a provincial park or recreation
area except
(a) on a trail or in an area set aside, designated or identified
by signs, notices or trail markers posted as a trail or area
for the use of such conveyances and in compliance with
any rules indicated by such signs or notices as to the types
of vehicle that may or may not be used and as to the use
of such vehicles, or
(b) in an area other than a place
referred to in clause (a), with
the written authorization of the Minister.

As far as lakes that are not provincial parks though, I don't think there are any laws against it, but could be wrong. In my opinion, leave the things at home and let everyone out there that wants a nice peaceful day of fishing have it... but this is Alberta.......

Bigdad013
11-28-2014, 04:58 AM
In my opinion, leave the things at home and let everyone out there that wants a nice peaceful day of fishing have it... but this is Alberta.......

I respect your opinion, but I don't see a problem with ATV's being on the ice as long as they are not ripping around all day. But even then, I just ignore it.

I could see a person feeling a lot more safe driving on the ice with one, rather than using a big 4x4.

A couple of times last year at chain lakes saw a plane land on the ice not far from us, taking friends up for a flight. Thats something you don't see every day...

Puma
11-28-2014, 08:33 AM
I spoke to a F&W officer last year at Ghost Res and he said "have at it".

CNP
11-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Can't drive an atv on a lake in a Prov Park? It's no different than operating a boat on the lake. If boats (gas or diesel powered) and sleds are permitted then atvs are permitted. The insurance and registration is a separate thing................you need that everywhere except on private property. Most Provincial Parks I know have sleds racing all over the lakes. I don't get the not allowed thing unless the lake has a sign prohibiting fuel operated engines.

TROLLER
11-28-2014, 01:30 PM
I use my atv 100% of the time. Never drive my truck onto any ice, my personal choice.

If Wes G has a problem with me driving by him pulling my ice sled then too bad. Sit in your truck and turn up the radio.

kevinhits
11-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Can't drive an atv on a lake in a Prov Park? It's no different than operating a boat on the lake. If boats (gas or diesel powered) and sleds are permitted then atvs are permitted. The insurance and registration is a separate thing................you need that everywhere except on private property. Most Provincial Parks I know have sleds racing all over the lakes. I don't get the not allowed thing unless the lake has a sign prohibiting fuel operated engines.

Yeah, but the sign coming into Chain Lakes provincial park says " No ATV's allowed"....Doesn't say " No boats allowed" though...:bad_boys_20:

Wes_G
11-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Well according to the gov't there is a difference between boats and ATV's. I am not stating that you're not allowed to have them on the lake because there is knowhere that states that lakes are a part of the parks, but there is also knowhere that states they are not. What I posted is what the provincial park regulations say, so do whatever you want. Like I said this is Alberta, the "I'll do whatever I want and the rest of you can go F yourselves" attitude runs deep here.... as I think was just proven a couple posts up!

As far as lakes outside of provincial parks go, I don't think there is any regulation against it, so have at er.

Bigdad013
11-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Yeah, but the sign coming into Chain Lakes provincial park says " No ATV's allowed"....Doesn't say " No boats allowed" though...:bad_boys_20:

That is for the park, no ATV's. The lake is not in the park, the park goes for maybe 1 km going north on the east side of the lake. If it were illegal, don't you think the cops would be having a hayday ticketing hundreds of people every weekend.

As for Spray lakes and kananaskis, the entire lake is surrounded by park. So I am guessing that is why no vehicles allowed.

YeeHaw
11-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Not to hijack things here, but I run a Honda big red. These things are supposedly banned or something like that. So in reality I could be getting myself in trouble using it to pull my sleigh full of fishing gear?

Lefty-Canuck
11-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Not to hijack things here, but I run a Honda big red. These things are supposedly banned or something like that. So in reality I could be getting myself in trouble using it to pull my sleigh full of fishing gear?

Is it registered and insured? If it is then there should be no issue.

LC

rocpilefsj
11-28-2014, 10:35 PM

Not so much that they are banned but finding an insurance company that will insure them anymore can be tough or near impossible or too costly. To register it and get a plate you need insurance... I still see trikes out from time to time but if running on crown land and you get caught they can impound it. Then to get it out of the impound you need to provide proof of insurance and registration, you get the drift.

I use my side by side for ice fishing all the time, load the boy up in it, hook up my pull sled behind it and drive out to my spot. Don't know how that could bother anyone other than people who find the need to complain about everything.

YeeHaw
11-29-2014, 09:59 AM
No insurance company I have talked to will insure it. They say they are banned (AMA, Klondike, challenger).Last thing I want is to have it impounded because I drove it out to my fishing hole.

kinwahkly
11-29-2014, 10:12 AM
How do most of you pull or tow you're Atv's?

Lefty-Canuck
11-29-2014, 10:16 AM
No insurance company I have talked to will insure it. They say they are banned (AMA, Klondike, challenger).Last thing I want is to have it impounded because I drove it out to my fishing hole.

Technically if they won't insure it then you can't use it anywhere other than private property that it's already parked at....and anyone other than yourself would be able to come after you if they were injured because of it....

LC

Ebrand
11-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Ok to use on lake ( lake is not part of a park ). Must be registered insured have head light and taillight and exhaust system and visible licence plate. Operator must be sober over 14 years old and not suspended or prohibited from operating a motor vehicle.

If you are on land you may not use ohvs in a park. I am just riding it to the lake past the sign that says you may not ride it will probably "just" get you a ticket.

Trikes are not banned for use or sale in Canada. Getting one insured might be a challenge. Canada refused to allow them to be imported in many years ago. The importation of them was banned ( I think they used the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act to do that ). Many manufacturers stopped making them about that time.

I miss my Honda 250r trike. It was very fast and fun to ride. But it was super easy to get into serious trouble with.

Find insurance for your trike ( someone has to insure them ) and use it on the lake all you want.

kevinhits
11-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Not so much that they are banned but finding an insurance company that will insure them anymore can be tough or near impossible or too costly. To register it and get a plate you need insurance... I still see trikes out from time to time but if running on crown land and you get caught they can impound it. Then to get it out of the impound you need to provide proof of insurance and registration, you get the drift.

I use my side by side for ice fishing all the time, load the boy up in it, hook up my pull sled behind it and drive out to my spot. Don't know how that could bother anyone other than people who find the need to complain about everything.

Driving ATV's on the ice to your fishing destination is one thing, but out fishing last year, I had 2 idiots whip by my tent within 15 feet...Now that ****es me off....Everyone can enjoy there past time on the ice as long as they are respectable....

I am sure another beef is guys that continuosly drill holes all day while in the same spot...No crap...Chain Lakes last year...Must of drilled over 50 holes and did not move from his spot all day....

TROLLER
11-29-2014, 02:09 PM
How do most of you pull or tow you're Atv's?

I load mine in a trailer with a drop down loading ramp and keep my sled in the box of the truck.

Then I use a tow bar from the sled to the atv, usually travel no more than 15 or 20 k per hour. Any faster and it can get real cold real fast especially if you are going a few k down the ice.

rocpilefsj
11-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Driving ATV's on the ice to your fishing destination is one thing, but out fishing last year, I had 2 idiots whip by my tent within 15 feet...Now that ****es me off....Everyone can enjoy there past time on the ice as long as they are respectable....

I am sure another beef is guys that continuosly drill holes all day while in the same spot...No crap...Chain Lakes last year...Must of drilled over 50 holes and did not move from his spot all day....

Yeah there are definitely exceptions in every group, was out last year and had sleds zipping by 15-20 feet away from us at break neck speed, annoying and not good etiquette. I find sleds a lot noisier when guys are pinning them then most atv's/utv's. It's all about respect no matter what you use or don't.

CNP
11-30-2014, 08:56 AM

Well according to the gov't there is a difference between boats and ATV's. I am not stating that you're not allowed to have them on the lake because there is knowhere that states that lakes are a part of the parks, but there is also knowhere that states they are not. What I posted is what the provincial park regulations say, so do whatever you want. Like I said this is Alberta, the "I'll do whatever I want and the rest of you can go F yourselves" attitude runs deep here.... as I think was just proven a couple posts up!

As far as lakes outside of provincial parks go, I don't think there is any regulation against it, so have at er.

You cannot drive sleds in a park either. Every park I know of prohibits off road vehicle use. You cannot operate a sled or an atv on park property (terra firma). Otherwise campgrounds would be full of bozos racing their machines and otherwise creating havoc in an otherwise peaceful environment. Whether or not the lake is part of the park is not even relevant. If you stay on the lake you are good. You cannot operate OHV on parks lands. That is the intent of the signage you are quoting. Does that not make any sense to you? If boats are good to go on a lake....so are sleds and atv's. That is the truth........live by some other truth if you want.

Ebrand
11-30-2014, 11:44 AM
The land I a provincial park is under the control of the provincial government. They prohibit OHV use on that land.

Water (even frozen) is under the control of the federal government and has no restrictions on the use of it unless they are posted ( no motor boats/speeds restrictions etc. ) or exist in some legislation on every body of water ( ie. 10kmh within 30m of shore rules for vessels).

But he lakes are still public places in Alberta so the OHV restrictions ( registration insurance exhaust sober etc) are enforeceable. The province cannot keep you of the lake/river.

Riding your OHV in the park will get you a ticket. Disobeying the no motor boats rule on a lake gets you a Canada Shipping Act Small Vessels Reg. charge and you have to go to court.

Provincial offence vs. Federal offence.

Operating your OHV on the lake like an idiot is rude same as boating like an idiot. But they are addressed by different legislation.

Big Sky
11-30-2014, 01:11 PM
I apologize for the slight derail.

I can completely understand why people wouldn't want to drive a vehicle on ice. Using an ATV or sled is much safer.

The pics are photos taken of prints so the quality is a bit off.
-20 degree day in January.
Not my van. My pics.
Everyone got out ok. They were very wet and very cold.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj541/jdhill19/9bec273f-d8c3-4099-b2dd-e58d4f34b487_zpse4f0ab84.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj541/jdhill19/d23fff52-99db-4f63-bafc-cb91154ab3ff_zpsd3fa5756.jpg

Elk Chaser
11-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I am pretty sure the issue is more to do with the unwanted noise and damage that they do. And even though its more common in the summer than the winter since there are far more people using the parks then, off road vehicles are still not allowed in provincial parks, which if I am not mistaken includes the lakes in the winter.

not allowed to run them on the park land but you are allowed to unload them and proceed onto the ice from a provincial park boat launch area

denpacc
11-30-2014, 08:15 PM
I apologize for the slight derail.

I can completely understand why people wouldn't want to drive a vehicle on ice. Using an ATV or sled is much safer.

The pics are photos taken of prints so the quality is a bit off.
-20 degree day in January.
Not my van. My pics.
Everyone got out ok. They were very wet and very cold.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj541/jdhill19/9bec273f-d8c3-4099-b2dd-e58d4f34b487_zpse4f0ab84.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj541/jdhill19/d23fff52-99db-4f63-bafc-cb91154ab3ff_zpsd3fa5756.jpg

Which lake did the vehicle go through the ice? Or is it lake "XXX"?

Big Sky
11-30-2014, 09:16 PM
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj541/jdhill19/8dc3ef34-00f2-483e-bbf3-5cff12dbe738_zps2897562c.jpg