PDA

View Full Version : Layton calls for stricter gun control

Layton calls for str
04-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Layton calls for stricter gun control
Last Updated: Wednesday, April 4, 2007 | 6:08 PM ET
CBC News
New Democratic Party Leader Jack Layton has urged the federal government to ban private ownership of semi-automatic rifles like those used in the 2006 shootings at Montreal's Dawson College.

Layton made the plea at the college Wednesday as he was being enthusiastically hosted by the college's Committee for Gun Control, which formed after Kimveer Gill killed a woman and injured 20 others last September.

"I'm here to urge [the government] to keep up the pressure for the reform of gun laws so that the kinds of guns that were used here would no longer be permitted," the NDP leader told a packed hall of students and staff.

Layton said Ottawa needs to bring about stiffer laws to restrict the importation of illegal firearms, as well as maintaining the federal gun registry.

His message resonated at the college, where many students attending the talk were on campus during the Sept. 13 shootings.

"I do believe [Layton] is strongly committed," said Stephanie Stevenson, a member of the Committee for Gun Control. "I have faith that he's going to work on these issues."

Stevenson said politicians should also make psychological testing a requirement in order to own a gun.

==========================================

Why is it that these weasel's want to subject the rest of Canada to their points of view. The crime (s) were committed in quebec so punish the quebecers, not us law biding citizens! I would bet that it would not fly in quebec if mr layton said "all quebecers should be tested for mental stability before any ownership permits were issued, come to think of it, it wouldn't be such a bad idea for them to do that down there, seeing as they have had two mass murders down there committed by quebec citizens.
it just ruffles my feathers to hear politicians trying to gain political points at the expence of the rest of us law abiding canadians>: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: .

p**** off gun owner

nafegavas
04-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Join the NFA or CSSA or both.

osterb
04-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Layton's a farce. They'll never form government. Forget it.

honda450
04-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Simply put Layton is a joke and so is Dion.

Tree Guy
04-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Joke or not, it is certainly something to be aware of. If this issue gains some traction in quebec previous to an election, who knows what may be promised in that province from a government desperate to form a majority.

grandzillaa
04-09-2007, 07:33 PM
What kind of government would make law abiding gun owners criminals if you don't register you guns. Laytons party is just like the libs. Were forced to accept the gun laws, and if we don't accept them then were criminals. Its bad now, I wonder what Canada would be like if the commies were in power.

Jack and Dion (Stalon)

Sporty
04-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Layton is ridiculous, this is the same man that critisizes any mention of beefing up our justice system, thinks that juviniles and adults that kill only need counseling not jail time and would have most of the country on welfare if he could. The guy that killed those students in Quebec was using a registered and legal fire arm and the current gun controls done nothing to prevent what happened. By enforcing psychological testing on people doesn't mean they are going to weed out the psycos from the rest because anything can happen to later on to drive someone nuts enough to go on a shooting rampage.

What Canada needs to do is reform our justice system, there needs to be harder sentences for violent crime for both adults and juviniles, judges and prosecuters need to stop doing plea bargains, time served needs to be done away with. It is a sad state when in this country you can kill someone and be out in less than 10 years. I'm so sick and tired of all the money being wasted in this country for unessecary laws and regulations that don't work unless they are enforced. In Alberta you are more likely to die from a stab wound than a gun shot.

Tucumseh
04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I think they better do a little psychological testing on Layton. That guy is phonier than a 3 dollar bill. Even his smile (or stupid grin) is phony.
The looks of that guy just urks me.

brownbomber
04-11-2007, 03:01 AM
yeah smarmy jack has a particular ooze to him. as far as our politicans go he isn't too bad, dion looks like a wimp who got picked on and harper looks kinda freaky and reminds of a marshmallow he looks so soft. pysch testing come on, who can't act normal for 30 mins to pass a test. if you have real problems you have to be willing to share them with an interviewer so as they know something is wrong

BuckHunterNB
04-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Just a dumb old hippie from way back. Wants to make love to everything including his own *****.

Shouldn't he be out checking his tulips?

Reminds me of the Geek Shawn Graham running our province here in New Brunswick.

Some day some crazy will use a single shot. Then what?? Just take more time to kill or injure the same amount of people. What a bunch of crap!

Scott