PDA

View Full Version : Refill 1 lb propane tanks

silverdoctor
11-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Seem to recall reading on here a way to refill the 1 pound propane tanks using a 20 pounder? There's a special adapter is there not? Where does one buy one - bought a little buddy today.

super mario
11-28-2014, 04:43 AM
Seem to recall reading on here a way to refill the 1 pound propane tanks using a 20 pounder? There's a special adapter is there not? Where does one buy one - bought a little buddy today.
fishing hole

AppleJax
11-28-2014, 05:01 AM
Fishing hole has them, the reel doctor does too but they are overpriced...

Bassett
11-28-2014, 06:03 AM
You can get them on ebay for around 5$ shipped I think.. Dad just got one

bigbfidaddy
11-28-2014, 07:06 AM
Canadian Tire in Calgary has them once in a while.$20

WayneChristie
11-28-2014, 07:09 AM
theres a good video on youtube showing how to do it. just refilled a bunch last night actually. especially handy when you tun a propane auger as well.

calgarygringo
11-28-2014, 07:34 AM
Have a dozen or so I rotate through this time of year when we can't drive on the ice. Once we drive out I just take the 20 lb tank with me. Best advise is freeze the one pounders and warm up the tank then have at her. Only takes a couple minutes per canister so don't walk away and leave them fill.

NEWB
11-28-2014, 10:51 AM
It is called the maccoupler.

The fishin Hole has not carried it in about a year. I picked mine up from there just over a year ago.

I was told they stopped selling it as you are transfering LPG from one container to another and they were informed they need a special licence to operate and do this...

My next bet would be ebay.

I love my maccoupler. It is very easy to use and can refill many 1 lb tanks.

Silverdoctor, have you thought of picking up a propane tree? you can attach it to your 20lb or 40 lb propane tank and run different hoses off it to fuel multiple devices.

I am not sure what your intent is for the maccoupler but the propane tree might be worth a look for you.

Gators
11-28-2014, 10:58 AM
I ordered a Mr Heater 1lb refill adapter from Bass Pro last year. Had no problem getting it shipped to Canada. $20 and free shipping.

Jack&7
11-28-2014, 12:40 PM
On a related note, does anyone know how to fill a 5-lb bottle (non-OPD fitting) from a 20 pounder?

Dan Foss
11-28-2014, 01:23 PM
nevermind

silverdoctor
11-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Little buddy heater doesn't allow any other option but the 1 pound cylinder - I supposed something can be rigged up but I really don't want to go that far with it...

How long would a 1 pound tank run a buddy heater for? Sparked it up today, doesn't seem to burn alot.

I'll check around for the adapter.

Lefty-Canuck
11-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Little buddy heater doesn't allow any other option but the 1 pound cylinder - I supposed something can be rigged up but I really don't want to go that far with it...

How long would a 1 pound tank run a buddy heater for? Sparked it up today, doesn't seem to burn alot.

On low continuous use 6'ish hours. I sat in my ground blind last weekend and went through a tank and a bit from just before first light to just after last light....was on low setting all day.

You can use an extension hose on the little buddy heater to hook p to a larger tank.

LC

Hunter Trav
11-28-2014, 04:05 PM

You could probably use the filter and adapter hose but you would have to come up with a way to setup the heater on something as the bottle supports heater on top of it...

NEWB
11-28-2014, 04:08 PM

On low continuous use 6'ish hours. I sat in my ground blind last weekend and went through a tank and a bit from just before first light to just after last light....was on low setting all day.

You can use an extension hose on the little buddy heater to hook p to a larger tank.

LC

What Lefty Said.

The 1lb propane tanks will run till about 1/4 full then shut iff when it is -15 or so out side. When the tank freezes you will need to swap a new one in. By the time that is down to the last 1/4 you can hook up the other one that is 1/4 full and burn off the rest as it has thawed.

If you run the adaptor hose make sure you get the LPG fuel filter too.

Make sure you clean out the pilot tube on the heater with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, and blow the dust out of the back of the heater. It will run much more efficiently.

fish99
11-28-2014, 07:09 PM
On a related note, does anyone know how to fill a 5-lb bottle (non-OPD fitting) from a 20 pounder?

I made a transfer hose to connect the 2 bottles. freeze the smaller tank, then weigh the small tank, install hose on large warm tank open valve to purge air from hose, then connect hose to small tank open both valves and turn large tank upside down. when the small tank weighs about 4 lbs more than empty. close both valves and remove hose. keep away from open flame and wear safety glasses as the hose will be pressurized

Jack&7
11-28-2014, 07:15 PM
where did you find the parts to make a safe hose assembly?

WayneChristie
11-28-2014, 07:29 PM

darn firefighters , always taking the fun out of things :bad_boys_20:

fish99
11-28-2014, 07:56 PM

buy a hose that you would use on any propane accessory cut one end off and install a male end that fits on a propane bottle .

Jack&7
11-28-2014, 07:58 PM
darn firefighters , always taking the fun out of things :bad_boys_20:

Haha Wayne....sorry about that! Sometimes you can do a few dangerous things...just do it safely! When are we going fishing?

buy a hose that you would use on any propane accessory cut one end off and install a male end that fits on a propane bottle .

Roger that!

thefloormat
11-29-2014, 11:54 PM
bought mine on ebay years ago. I keep the 20lb in the heated garage, and the 1lb in the snow. quickly screw the two together and have the 20lb upside down, open the valve and you can hear the gas flow, when the sound slows down to almost nothing, shut off the valve.

I find some tanks refill better than others, and some valves on the 1lb get stuck open slightly because they're so cold or old. So if it gets stuck i screw it onto an appliance or lantern and leave it there until needed. the valve sorts itself out eventually or else ill toss the tank afterwards.

$12 to refill a 20lb at costco.

chimpac
11-30-2014, 01:16 AM
I got my filler adapter fitting from Harbor Freight (Chinese stuff like Princess Auto) in the states. Before that I just had the right fittings on a short hose.

There is sometimes oily stuff (called heavy ends) in a 20 lb. bottle that's been filled often, so open the valve when you invert it and blow out whatever comes before you attach the small bottle.
The best time to fill is on a hot day just at sundown. If you leave it hooked until morning it will be 100% full. Propane bottles are not supposed to be filled more than 85%. You can estimate how full they are by seeing when the liquid starts to come when tipping them with the valve cracked open.
If you need a quick fill you have to let off some gas from the 1 lb. bottle until it gets a bit cold. You have to repeat this until you get it as full as you want it.

honda450
11-30-2014, 05:37 AM
I find some tanks refill better than others.

I find that too. Why? Its a mystery. I use the same procedure with every tank.

silver
11-30-2014, 06:59 AM
I got my filler adapter fitting from Harbor Freight (Chinese stuff like Princess Auto) in the states. Before that I just had the right fittings on a short hose.

There is sometimes oily stuff (called heavy ends) in a 20 lb. bottle that's been filled often, so open the valve when you invert it and blow out whatever comes before you attach the small bottle.
The best time to fill is on a hot day just at sundown. If you leave it hooked until morning it will be 100% full. Propane bottles are not supposed to be filled more than 85%. You can estimate how full they are by seeing when the liquid starts to come when tipping them with the valve cracked open.
If you need a quick fill you have to let off some gas from the 1 lb. bottle until it gets a bit cold. You have to repeat this until you get it as full as you want it.

When I fill a one pounder, I put it at a 45 degree angle. This will leave an air space in your tank.

Kim473
11-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Check here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKCYIOnxwkg

I would take the litle buddy back and get the big buddy. You will be happier.

chimpac
11-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Check here.

Take the buddy back and put a propane torch feeding into a a riser pipe that is inside a 5 gallon can or smaller with and a chimney port near the bottom of the can.

Run a flexible vent pipe from the chimney port out under the side of your tent. It will be a lot dryer inside and you will not be breathing burned propane gas ,like as the products of combustion.

maverick_8teen
11-30-2014, 10:03 AM
As a licensed gas fitter i can tell you it is NO LONGER LEGAL to refill the 1lb bottles with out the license. Even as a gas fitter im not allowed to do it. One must take a special course which you cannot go for unless your "employer" needs you too in order for you to do your job.

That said, you shouldn't be able to buy the adaptors here in Canada from a business. You can buy them from the states and ship em here. A buddy of mine went to the states and got one and said he had no problems bringing it across.

None of the comments i read so far as how to fill them are correct. Im only stating that because some of the "methods" can actually create a dangerous situation of exploding propane bottles. Chances of it happening im sure are rare but theres a reason why OPD valves are now "law".

To correct he who said propane is not to be filled more than 85%, its actually 80%. You need a 20% vapor space @60deg F. for proper vaporization. Now of course if you fill it to 85% it will still work, this concern is when it warms up above 60deg F. which for those who dont know the conversion, 72deg F is room temp. The concern is both the increased pressure and having no vapor space. Propane Vessels are only rated for 240psig. Please keep this in mind if you are re-filling your propane bottles. There is a whole mathematical science behind propane which is why you are not legally allowed to do it.

I prefer the hose option. Im not sure if it will work with the Buddy heaters but you buy the same hose one uses for a camp stove. One end connects to your 5lb, 10lb, 20lb etc etc propane tank and the other end to the connection on your heater where you would screw a 1lb tank. I dont know how much they are but you can buy them at CT in the propane isle, BPS and Cabelas in the camping sections. They also sell hoses that connect to a Propane Tree if your using one.

CNP
11-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Get all my parts from the dump. Lots of regulators, hoses and connectors from discarded BBQs to choose from:scared:

walleyeca
12-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Take the buddy back and put a propane torch feeding into a a riser pipe that is inside a 5 gallon can or smaller with and a chimney port near the bottom of the can.

Run a flexible vent pipe from the chimney port out under the side of your tent. It will be a lot dryer inside and you will not be breathing burned propane gas ,like as the products of combustion.

you wouldn't happen to have a picture of this for example would ya? Be really appreciated, thanks

javlin101
12-26-2014, 05:30 PM
I bought the hose and filter for my Big Buddy heater to connect a 20lb tank to it. i bought mine directly from Mr. Heater and was not bad price. I also bought the AC adapter when using the heater in my bunkhouse. If I remember correctly they advise not to use a tank over 20lb for it.

EZM
12-26-2014, 06:12 PM
If you are running a bulk bottle (5, 10, 11 or 20 lb bottle) to your Buddy Heater - install a filter.

http://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Heater-Portable-Heaters-F273699/dp/B000HE8P2O

You can get them at Princess auto for around $10-$12 If memory serves me. There are more contaminants in bulk fuel that will eventually mess up your heater.

I use a 11lb tank, fits perfectly in a milk crate that fits perfectly in my sled.

Cheap to use and fill ..... last 6-7 day long trips.

curtz
12-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Check here.

X2

EZM
12-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Agreed - The big buddy has 2 burners, so you can run it on low, or high or on the super high " I am a donair" setting.

Definitely big enough to heat my 11.5 x 11.5 uninsulated tent in 40 below if needed. It also has the fan to push the warm air around.

like with any propane heat source, make sure you leave a vent or two open to avoid fall asleep and dieing. That kinda would suck.

Habfan
12-26-2014, 07:17 PM

Now thats a smart idea !! Takes all the moisture out ! I would put a patten on that. I mean I'm going to patten that since it was my idea !! Lol :sHa_shakeshout:

Davey Boy
12-26-2014, 07:18 PM
SD a picture of mine and a link for them thru EBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=maccoupler

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j321/fooneyguy1/100_4613.jpg (http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/fooneyguy1/media/100_4613.jpg.html)

slingshotz
12-29-2014, 11:53 PM
That is the exact one I have been using with zero issues for the past 3 years. I have a great collection of 1lb bottles now from people discarding their used ones to me. The nice thing about this is that it is so easy to get almost new bottles to replace the older ones whenever you want.

We do a fair bit of walking with/without a sled so lugging around a 5lb bottle is not a great option.

It's about $14/20lb bottle refill at Costco so it comes down to under $1 per 1lb refill bottle. Plus it's helping save the landfill as these things don't seem to get recycled which is really annoying.

BIGCU
12-30-2014, 12:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

anybody ever tried this ?

chimpac
01-04-2015, 09:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

anybody ever tried this ?

Always done it that way but I always turn the big bottle upside down and open the valve to blast out any debris or oily stuff (heavy ends) before I attach the canister to be filled.
Always test the valve to see if it will let out the gas before you take it on a trip. I have taken a full bottle and found that the valve is stuck and I had to do my cooking on an open fire.

chimpac
01-04-2015, 10:30 AM
you wouldn't happen to have a picture of this for example would ya? Be really appreciated, thanks

Sorry I did not see your post until now. I have not made the stove I described but I am sure it would work.
It is really just using rocket stove ideas that have been proven for wood stoves.
I have converted to the rocket stove ideas for all stoves I make .

ALBTUFF
01-04-2015, 11:50 AM
I have about 10 empty 1lb bottle if any of you refillers want them, shoot me a PM. If not they are going to the Eco station.

thunderheart
01-04-2015, 03:20 PM
does anyone actually know if they are available in canada and if so where? or does anyone have one they will sell.

thanks guys :)
pm works if not wanting the gas poooleeese after us...

wellpastcold
01-04-2015, 07:13 PM
does anyone actually know if they are available in canada and if so where? or does anyone have one they will sell.

thanks guys :)
pm works if not wanting the gas poooleeese after us...

The Reel Doctor in Edmonton sells them.

Jack&7
01-04-2015, 09:34 PM
There are tons of these adapters on Ebay...are there any problems getting them across the border?