PDA

View Full Version : Power Augers

Scott N
11-28-2014, 02:12 PM
I know there have been plenty of threads about power augers, but there are new models on the market in the last few years and I'd like to hear some field reports if anyone wants to share.

If you were going to buy a new auger this winter, what would you go with, gas, electric, or propane? They each seem to have their pros and cons.

I don't get out too often, maybe a dozen times a winter, but I really enjoyed ice fishing last year and would like to get out more. My 8" manual gets a little difficult later in the season, and I would like to make the season more fun.

Cory1
11-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Personally I'd stick with the tried and true gas auger.

People still seem to be having problems with the propane if left out in the cold.

With the electric my only concern would be forgetting to charge it and get out there and can't punch a hole, atleast with cad you can also carry spare gas.

1bluZebec
11-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Going on my 5th year with no troubles on my Eskimo S33 8". It was the cheapest power auger you could buy and i would buy it again if I was to do it all over again. I also had a Eskimo Z71 10" and it is a way faster auger but its quite a bit heavier and harder to pull to start even decompressing it first. I sold it and kept the 8". Eskimo has been a great product for me.

honker_clonker
11-28-2014, 02:24 PM
I'd buy a 8'' gas strikemaster. The solo engines are awesome, they are light and have a lot of cutting power. I can get about 100 holes out of a tank and if I happen to run out of gas/forget gas, chances are really good I could scrounge some off someone on the ice. Try do that with a battery!

Cory1
11-28-2014, 02:43 PM
I know there have been plenty of threads about power augers, but there are new models on the market in the last few years and I'd like to hear some field reports if anyone wants to share.

If you were going to buy a new auger this winter, what would you go with, gas, electric, or propane? They each seem to have their pros and cons.

I don't get out too often, maybe a dozen times a winter, but I really enjoyed ice fishing last year and would like to get out more. My 8" manual gets a little difficult later in the season, and I would like to make the season more fun.

I have the Eskimo Z71 10"
Looks like your also in Calgary, if you want to get out one day and try it out send me a pm, as company is always welcome

Scott N
11-28-2014, 02:44 PM
I have the Eskimo Z71 10"
Looks like your also in Calgary, if you want to get out one day and try it out send me a pm, as company is always welcome

Thanks for the offer. :)

Mayhem
11-28-2014, 02:54 PM
I'd buy a 8'' gas strikemaster. The solo engines are awesome, they are light and have a lot of cutting power. I can get about 100 holes out of a tank and if I happen to run out of gas/forget gas, chances are really good I could scrounge some off someone on the ice. Try do that with a battery!

I'll second that...Owned a Lazer Mag Express with Solo motor for a few years now, lots o power, great auger.

t3metro
11-28-2014, 05:21 PM
I've had a tempest from costco for three seasons. It's the same as the eskimo mako 8" 43cc(just green). There 369.99. I bought an eskimo 10" flight last year for mine and it has plenty of power for it too.

Sceptreguy
11-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the offer. :)

I'll second that offer. Also got a Z71 and live in Cochrane. None of my buddies like to fish as much as me so I am always looking for others to share in the fun.

honker_clonker
11-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Check Kijiji and see how many strikemaster power augers you see for sale...

VanIsleGuy
11-28-2014, 06:33 PM
I really hope the you are dismissing electric augers for something other than the battery... it only takes half a brain to put a battery on a charger when you are done using it. Light, doesnt spill, dont need to pour, and more than enough torque.

kcward
11-29-2014, 02:16 PM
I bought the Strikemaster 4 stroke last year and love it. Picked it up in Grande Prairie at the end of the season for $440! I would also consider the strikemaster electric with the lithium battery.

huntsfurfish
11-29-2014, 03:00 PM
I really hope the you are dismissing electric augers for something other than the battery... put a battery on a charger when you are done using it. Light, doesnt spill, dont need to pour, and more than enough torque.

Agree! First thing I do after coming home. Have to charge batteries for the cameras and sonars. So its just one more battery to put on charger.
Not hard to start either lol.

TROLLER
11-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Check Kijiji and see how many strikemaster power augers you see for sale...

X2 You just don't seem to ever see the Strikemaste for sale.

Just bought the new Strikemaster 11 with the Honda engine. 24lbs total weight right there with the electric augers Out of the box put in oil and some gas and away she went on the second pull.

tonypower
11-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I just looked and there was 2 and a bunch of jiffy's.... I would buy an Eskimo z71. It's a great work out and will go through 3 feet of ice in 10 seconds.

Bobby B.
11-29-2014, 09:46 PM
My 10" Strikemaster Lazer Mag has served me well. Can't say that it's better or worse than any other make. What sold me on the Strikemaster was the Solo powerhead, and the theory that it drills through ice rather than chipping through. Hard to beat German engineering, although Honda engineering is also excellent.

Bobby

Geezle
11-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Going on my 5th year with no troubles on my Eskimo S33 8". It was the cheapest power auger you could buy and i would buy it again if I was to do it all over again. I also had a Eskimo Z71 10" and it is a way faster auger but its quite a bit heavier and harder to pull to start even decompressing it first. I sold it and kept the 8". Eskimo has been a great product for me.

I'm also a big fan of the Eskimo augers.

I have an older 8" 33cc (before it became the Stingray) that I bought used a couple seasons back that has been fantastic...always starts and runs well no matter how cold it is. It's been nicknamed "Ol' Reliable" :cool:

I also got a 10" Z51 towards the end of the season and I'm also quite happy with it.

That said, they're both very different creatures. The way the 33 is geared it's a nice slow and steady cut through the ice, whereas the Z51 turns waaaaaaay faster, and just throws the shavings. I haven't tried a Z71 yet, but looking at how the Z51 works, I think that it might almost be overkill. I think the M43 with either the 10" or 8" bit would be a good middle of the road choice for a lot of people.

When it comes down to it though, any auger that runs and cuts the holes so you don't have to is a good one! :D

FishHunterPro
12-01-2014, 12:55 AM
This will be my 4th season with my strikemaster lazer pro. It's never let me down yet.

wellpastcold
12-01-2014, 07:43 AM
I just looked and there was 2 and a bunch of jiffy's.... I would buy an Eskimo z71. It's a great work out and will go through 3 feet of ice in 10 seconds.

......... And 6 recoil units per season.

binnzer32
12-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Haaaaaaaa

Geezle
12-01-2014, 08:13 AM

If you don't reef on it like a Jiffy it'll be fine ;)

EZM
12-01-2014, 11:42 AM
I have a 10" Z 71 and it will cut a hole through 3 feet of ice so fast it will pull you down if you are not careful ...lol.

I did have Eskimo send me a new recoil (no charge) as it has been sticky .... this is not an uncommon issue .... but 4 bolts and you are back in business .... easy fix. other than that .... it's a dream. Probably more than what most guys need in terms of power but nice to have.

Geezle is right - Once you get used to the "short pull" idea of the Eskimo ..... you should have no issues .... it seems to me most guys, myself included, tend to pull the recoil as fast and far as you can and it's simply not designed for that .... a short quick pull and she fires just fine. I'm pretty sure I was pulling the cord out too far when I bought it new .... not used to a fancy auger like that.

The biggest thing about augers is simple ..... sharp blades !!!!!!!! they should be touched up a few times per season and WOW what a difference ..... I had replaced my blades last trip of the year after drilling a few holes to get us started and then, messing around out in the sun, decided to swap the blades and drill a few more holes .... WOW big difference - same ice, same auger ..... I will be changing my blades more often this winter and sharpening them between changes.

CanadianBadass
12-01-2014, 12:14 PM

I have had mine 3 seasons, and broke 1 recoil, and 1 other the knot slipped thru the handle, Best auger on the market !

ROA
12-01-2014, 12:24 PM

My old jiffy crapped out (just needed a carb diaphragm I think) after 15 years of use. I intended to fix it but I was in the city a few days later and saw the Eskimo 33 on sale for so little money that I just had to buy it. Tried it out and found it idled, cut and ran better than the old jiffy ever did. It is so good that I never did fix the jiffy and ended up giving it away. The Eskimo probably wont last me 15 years like the jiffy did but that's ok.

fish gunner
12-01-2014, 12:25 PM
I have had mine 3 seasons, and broke 1 recoil, and 1 other the knot slipped thru the handle, Best auger on the market !

Think im on season ten with my good olde jiffy 30. Parts replaced -0. Fail to starts -0. This year I give it a tune up ..or not . New blades, well cause ten years is that time. :sHa_shakeshout: your average will include another two pull cord issues min in the next seven yrs. Give or take. Jiffy 30 ..is there another choice For Gas powered .:)

bubba 96
12-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Think im on season ten with my good olde jiffy 30. Parts replaced -0. Fail to starts -0. This year I give it a tune up ..or not . New blades, well cause ten years is that time. :sHa_shakeshout: your average will include another two pull cord issues min in the next seven yrs. Give or take. Jiffy 30 ..is there another choice For Gas powered .:)

Take the blades to western saw to get em sharpened, next to the old walt healy building, get mine done every yr, 12bucks I think i paid..

Bassett
12-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I have a 10" Z 71 and it will cut a hole through 3 feet of ice so fast it will pull you down if you are not careful ...lol.

I did have Eskimo send me a new recoil (no charge) as it has been sticky .... this is not an uncommon issue .... but 4 bolts and you are back in business .... easy fix. other than that .... it's a dream. Probably more than what most guys need in terms of power but nice to have.

Geezle is right - Once you get used to the "short pull" idea of the Eskimo ..... you should have no issues .... it seems to me most guys, myself included, tend to pull the recoil as fast and far as you can and it's simply not designed for that .... a short quick pull and she fires just fine. I'm pretty sure I was pulling the cord out too far when I bought it new .... not used to a fancy auger like that.

The biggest thing about augers is simple ..... sharp blades !!!!!!!! they should be touched up a few times per season and WOW what a difference ..... I had replaced my blades last trip of the year after drilling a few holes to get us started and then, messing around out in the sun, decided to swap the blades and drill a few more holes .... WOW big difference - same ice, same auger ..... I will be changing my blades more often this winter and sharpening them between changes.

Couldn't agree more about sharp blades. Or for that matter make sure your blade is still on!! I couldn't figure out why it was half way through a hole and it was bogging and biding horribly bad. Found out a bolt had snapped on the auger and 1 blade fell off!!

binnzer32
12-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Best cheap auger on the market. Got nothing on a Tanaka with nilsmaster flute or husqvarna. .

.I have had mine 3 seasons, and broke 1 recoil, and 1 other the knot slipped thru the handle, Best auger on the market !

goatskin
12-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Saw this today in the Cyber Monday Sale:sHa_shakeshout:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/23984/strikemaster-magnum-10-14-power-ice-auger

yoteblaster
12-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Going on season 24 I believe with my old Jiffy 10 inch. Never had to touch it, ever. Original recoil rope even. Does smoke a bit now though, gets stinky when drilling inside the shack. Only power auger I have ever owned but I imagine the newer ones are lighter and cleaner burning If it ever dies I will probably go electric if they come in 10 inch