PDA

View Full Version : Early Ice pothole Trout

Alberta Bigbore
12-07-2008, 11:31 PM
My buddy cancelled on me this morning, so i went anyways. had the whole place to myself for about 1/2 hour. then one other showed up, then another, then another until i recognized a familiar face... Anvil and his girlfriend showed up at the lake

was slow to fair with burst of fury. Was marking alot of fish on the sonar, Could see trout race up super fast to the lure and then the signal would just get weak and drift away. Tried many lures and managed to ice some brookies. Anvil 's Girlfriend was slaying, and then when she went to their truck to warm up...Anvil would slay. between us 3, probably 15 fish landed half that many lost, and more than that marked on the flasher. had holes in 8ish, 10ish, 13ish, 16ish, and 20.3 feet. the 13 foot and 16 foot range seemed to land the most fish with the fish cruising 3/4 the way down to mid depth. No real monsters, but some nice pan frys

I let Anvil test out the ICE-55, and now he's hooked. gathered a small crowd, when fish started to show up under his hole on the flasher and they would slam his lure.

Heres some pics from the day, the rest are up on facebook. Remember, 3 people fishing, not all fish landed were kept. It was also nice to have a bit of snow so i could test out my new icefishing sled from StrikeMaster!! very cool unit

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Fishing%20Alberta/Dec7002.jpg

'bow and Brookie

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Fishing%20Alberta/Dec7004.jpg

Anvil

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Fishing%20Alberta/Dec7005.jpg

Anvil and GF

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Fishing%20Alberta/Dec7010.jpg

My new sweetie...ICE-55

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Fishing%20Alberta/Dec7018.jpg

playing with macro function

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Fishing%20Alberta/Dec7019.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Fishing%20Alberta/Dec7009.jpg

quancafe
12-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Nice Pictures. Can i ask how thick is the ice? and what lake is this? Thanks for sharing.

The Anvil
12-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Hey Bigbore,

Had a really good time out on the ice today it was great to meet up with you, both Karrie and I want to say thank you again for the great company.

Weather was not all that bad really, it got brisk at moments but over all decent. You're right I am hooked on that Hummingbird, wouldn't mind adding one to my personal arsenal. The better half, was impressed as well just not as hooked as I am.

Most of the trip home was "Honey can I get a hummingbird?"
and "guess what I want for Christmas"......She got the point when I swung by the fishing hole on the way home.:evilgrin:didn't actually go in but hehehe.

It was so neat to see how the Hummingbird worked and how the trout would swim near the lure, never seen that before. That bad boy will be great for hitting eyes and lakers this hardwater season.

Thanks again for the great company, will have to meet up again soon.

Oh yeah I say the Ice was maybe....7-8 inches didn't actually measure it... Bigbore nay guess on thickness?

Cheers!

Big.Bear
12-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Where did you get the Glide Light from? It looks really handy!

nice Pictures to!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Hey Bigbore,

Had a really good time out on the ice today it was great to meet up with you, both Karrie and I want to say thank you again for the great company.

Weather was not all that bad really, it got brisk at moments but over all decent. You're right I am hooked on that Hummingbird, wouldn't mind adding one to my personal arsenal. The better half, was impressed as well just not as hooked as I am.

and "guess what I want for Christmas"......She got the point when I swung by the fishing hole on the way home.:evilgrin:didn't actually go in but hehehe.

It was so neat to see how the Hummingbird worked and how the trout would swim near the lure, never seen that before. That bad boy will be great for hitting eyes and lakers this hardwater season.

Oh yeah I say the Ice was maybe....7-8 inches didn't actually measure it... Bigbore nay guess on thickness?

Cheers!

If you wore more then a hoodie you might not get cold . Might wanna invest in wearing parka . Good to see you guys got to get together . I was out Saturday morning at Cardiff that was interesting . With a busted arse , just really wanted to try out my new toys . I :love::love::love: the new underwater camera. Except Id love to rig something up so It doesn't flop around , I'm thinking maybe a 6 ft piece of copper pipe and Tie strap it to the camera end that way I can simply pic it up , dint wanna heave on the camera cord to much.All around pretty great morning . Landed a bunch of perch and a descent rainbow but all went back to swim another day.

BigRackLover
12-08-2008, 07:11 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Looks tasty.

We are saving up for ice-fishing toys now.

JohninAB
12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
BB, see ya bought that Glide Lite contraption. Mind you after 3 hours of standing there drooling over it they probably made you buy it! :lol:

Decent fish as well. Was Hunter out with ya?

Alberta Bigbore
12-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Where did you get the Glide Light from? It looks really handy!

nice Pictures to!
got the Glide Lite from Whoolesale Sports. I seen them in a Ice fishing magazine, and when i seen it at the store, it was one of those things you Dont need, But just HAVE to own.
BB, see ya bought that Glide Lite contraption. Mind you after 3 hours of standing there drooling over it they probably made you buy it! :lol:

Decent fish as well. Was Hunter out with ya?

3 hours?? ha, get real.....more like 2.5 :tongue2: I came back into Wholesale saturday to buy it. No Hunter didnt want to go. The night before we tried Mornville Res to see the flasher in action for a couple hours and he managed to find a ice hole with his leg, LOL

JohninAB
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Sort of like the livewell in the boat and his little legs dangling in there! LOL

Alberta Bigbore
12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
yup, pretty much. But this time wet up to the whole leg of a snow suit and pants underneath, and water filled winter boot and drenched sock. He's alot of fun when that happens, LOL

Alberta Bigbore
12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Bigbore,

Cheers!

Must have been quite the ride home then!! :lol: Just be good and maybe Santa will have his elves make you one. ;)

guess on the ice? id say a good solid 6 inches to 7 inches thick. Could feel a few pops and crackles, buts its all good. Someone had a quad running down the one side of the lake

Sharp
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Glad to see that things worked out well for you.

Sorry again!

Alberta Bigbore
12-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Glad to see that things worked out well for you.

Sorry again!

hey no worries, if your sick your sick, better to stay home than sit in the cold air. If you can make it next weekend is still good, ice will be thicker. Just not sure where yet.

12-08-2008, 11:48 PM
hey no worries, if your sick your sick, better to stay home than sit in the cold air. If you can make it next weekend is still good, ice will be thicker. Just not sure where yet.

Saturday
Dec. 13
Cloudy periods
P.O.P. 30 %
High -16°C
Low -16°C
Wind NW 10 km/h

Sunday
Dec. 14
Mainly cloudy
P.O.P. 20%
High -25°C
Low -25°C
Wind N 5 km/h

Have fun ill be gun shopping ....

JohninAB
12-09-2008, 08:12 AM
BBJ, that sounds like yote calling weather to me and maybe a wolf or two!:):)

12-09-2008, 08:21 AM
BBJ, that sounds like yote calling weather to me and maybe a wolf or two!:):)

:lol::lol::lol: yeah , well I got my PAL now require a rifle, wrote my Pal friday and passed. So Its gun shopin I ago. To bad I busted my arse bone falling on the ice the other day.

JohninAB
12-09-2008, 09:00 AM
BBJ, you have to wait till you get your PAL from the RCMP before you can buy a gun.

12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
BBJ, you have to wait till you get your PAL from the RCMP before you can buy a gun.

Yeah I knew that but I can still go looking . :lol::lol::lol::lol: I mean drooling .

The Anvil
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah I knew that but I can still go looking . :lol::lol::lol::lol: I mean drooling .

Don't drool too much there BBJ, you might slip in yer drool and hurt yer arse some more!:evilgrin:

just kidding:D

When are we gonna get the "Goon Squad" together for another gathering?

12-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Don't drool too much there BBJ, you might slip in yer drool and hurt yer arse some more!:evilgrin:

just kidding:D

When are we gonna get the "Goon Squad" together for another gathering?

Once I can sit for more then 5 minutes at a time . Its not even funny I cant even win here , screwed up feet , busted arse bone , whats next . I get eatten by a hungry squirel , or something goddddddddddd Its been quite the year for me .

The Anvil
12-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Once I can sit for more then 5 minutes at a time . Its not even funny I cant even win here , screwed up feet , busted arse bone , whats next . I get eatten by a hungry squirel , or something goddddddddddd Its been quite the year for me .

Watch out man... by the looks of things you might not be far off.

http://api.ning.com/files/boromhBaAAL4FjORhyRjIZ7p1CimcMxlZYnx5-MuOPc_/crazySquirrel.jpg

Sucks to hear man, things will pan out for you. Takes time and maybe even a few "diet" Fresca's but you'll make it. Always look on the bright side BBJ.:)

12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Watch out man... by the looks of things you might not be far off.

http://api.ning.com/files/boromhBaAAL4FjORhyRjIZ7p1CimcMxlZYnx5-MuOPc_/crazySquirrel.jpg

Sucks to hear man, things will pan out for you. Takes time and maybe even a few "diet" Fresca's but you'll make it. Always look on the bright side BBJ.:)

AH YESSSSSSSSSS DIET FRESCA"S MMMMMMMM , Im waiting for coal to freeze up with the weather this week , might be able to get out agian on X mas day lol Gotta love angering the family :lol::lol::lol::lol::evilgrin::evilgrin:

The Anvil
12-09-2008, 10:48 AM
LOL I'll join ya Christmas Day on coal.....:evilgrin:

Rumtan
12-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Make it Dec 20th and im in.

The Anvil
12-09-2008, 11:52 AM
If the iCe and weather cooperate then that might be a go for me.

12-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Make it Dec 20th and im in.

If the iCe and weather cooperate then that might be a go for me.

depending on my butt , im in also , see id we cant some of the boys from Ice shanty out to. Like Steve , and Travis , and See if we cant have a few others out .

Alberta Bigbore
12-09-2008, 02:23 PM

some places will let you put money down to hold it until your PAL comes in, not actually letting you take the firearm home with you.

BigIrv
12-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Thinking about taking my son ice fishing for the first time this year. This may seem like a stupid question but, when you keep the fish on the ice (and it freezes) what steps do you take to clean it after, or do you gut it when it comes out? Specifically trout.

Alberta Bigbore
12-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Thinking about taking my son ice fishing for the first time this year. This may seem like a stupid question but, when you keep the fish on the ice (and it freezes) what steps do you take to clean it after, or do you gut it when it comes out? Specifically trout.

i let it freeze solid on the ice.... bring it home let them thaw a bit in the sink while i eat a hot meal that the wifey prepared after my phone call that i was on my way home..... then i gut them. With trout i just cut off the head, slit the belly spoon out the guts, rub the tiny scales off, and throw them in the freezer waiting for pan fry or take to my friend to have them smoked up.