PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Quest

Justanotherbuck2
12-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I have been fishing Alberta for about 35 years and have yet to catch a burbot! This MUST change, I am not much of a hard water fisherman but that seems to be the ticket to landing a burbot...HELP. I live reasonably close to Crawling valley and Mcgregor are they worth hunting burbot, and what and how would you suggest? This should be the year I land one of those ugly boogers!

calgarygringo
12-08-2008, 08:00 AM
We target them at Crawling Valley every winter. Lots in there and we have caught them up to 10 lbs. A couple rules of thumb. Fish for them from just before dark on after everyone else goes home. Most leave before the burbot bite starts. Either use a big smelt or large minnow on a glow jig right off the bottom. Fish near shore 10-15 feet depth out from the east or west side islands and you will catch a couple or more every time out. Biggest thing is most people don't catch them because they leave before they start feeding at night. We don't pack up until 8 or 9 depending on the bite. There are lots and some bigger ones. Wait until you get a 8-10 lb burbot on your light line inside the shack. They are as much fun to catch as the bigger pike.

Couleestalker
12-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Burbot from Crawling Valley a couple of years ago.

Justanotherbuck2
12-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Nice pictures guys and great tips...I'll likely wait till after christmas to let that ice get a little stiffer but should be a blast..I'll post the results here and pics when I land my first one!

Alberta Bigbore
12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Gull is good for Burbs

rocky97
12-08-2008, 06:07 PM
crawling valley is great for ling its just a matter of finding them on that lake thats the prob. i usually fish in 20-30 ft of water in from of the islands the best time is at night but u can catch them during the day when there spawning in feb to mid march. also if ur up to the drive pine coulee is great. the fish in there are not any to bragg about but there are a couple goodens in the 5-7 lb range but the numbers ull catch in a night are amazing. i have had 100 plus fish nights between two people fishing from 6-9pm. the best bait i find is a red 1/4oz jig head with a white glow twister tail tiped with a smelt head or body fish this bouncing on bottom and let sit stationary about 3'' off bottom. good luck and i hope u get into so good ling action this season.

eric2381
12-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Hello, has anybody ever caught much for Burbot in Rattlesnake Dam? I've had great luck there for pike, but have never caught any Ling there. We used to catch lots around home when I was a kid, but I haven't been able to hook up with a Burbot for a long time. Thanks for any help, Eric.