PDA

View Full Version : Any tips or pointers for ice fishing flathead lake MT?

Rennich98
12-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Hey guys I'm heading up to flathead lake for the very first time over Christmas break...I would really target anything that swims but I don't really have any have the gear to catch lakers in super deep water...if anyone can help me out itd be greatly appreciated

The Fisherman Guy
12-01-2014, 07:48 PM
I haven't fished Flathead, but from what I've heard of the lake, the Lake Trout are abundant. There are many other species in the lake, but most go for the Lake trout.

Lakers can be found all over, but your best bet is to set up on a flat next to a rocky drop off in 100ft of water or more. Use 3/8oz white tube jigs with stinger hooks tipped with smelt on a bait caster or level wind reel. Use 15lb braid tied to a 24in fluorocarbon leader that is 12lb test. Have at least 200ft of line on the reel if you plan on fishing deeper than 100ft of water.

Drop your jig to bottom, and bounce it off bottom a few times then let it sit still for 30 seconds. Begin jigging up to the surface. Once you reach the surface, drop it back down to bottom. Quite often Lakers will hit on the way down, so remember how long it takes to get to bottom.

I found this PDF, lots of good information for fishing Flathead lakers:

Flathead lake Fishing Guide PDF (http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=11216)

Take plenty of pictures and show us how you did! Would like to make a trip down there myself one day.

Tight lines

TFG

Rennich98
12-01-2014, 10:18 PM
That will be lots of help thanks! I'm thinking I'm gonna be targeting Lakers and perch...if I'm lucky I'll end up with my very first laker:sHa_shakeshout: