PDA

View Full Version : Ghost reservoir ice

270WINCHESTER
12-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Anyone been out at ghost yet? If so how thick is the ice? Even though this is a fishing thread im not asking about fishing. Ive finally got my dirt bike tires studded up and am very eager to get out on the ice. How thick should the ice be before i go on it with a dirt bike. 250lb bike and 150lb person.
I'm really hopping its thick enough, i cant even put to words how excited i am:sHa_shakeshout:

Thanks

Crankbait
12-01-2014, 11:10 PM
maybe give a call out to red deer lake or a slough out that way. that nice thick clear ice that ghost gets really comes along mid January.

Kokanee9
12-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Ghost has some dark lines (about 6-10 wide) that run for several hundred meters in the middle section between the dam and village. Haven't seen anyone walking around out there, but there are several places where deer tracks go out for quite a distance. Not sure if I would trust it yet.

270WINCHESTER
12-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Ive heard from others on this site that last weekend the ice was a good 7"-8" thick. By this weekend im guessing it going to be closer to 8" everywhere. This should be thick enough to drive on shouldn't it? Defiantly going to take the auger out first and make some test holes around to make sure the ice is as thick as said.

Cory1
12-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Ive heard from others on this site that last weekend the ice was a good 7"-8" thick. By this weekend im guessing it going to be closer to 8" everywhere. This should be thick enough to drive on shouldn't it? Defiantly going to take the auger out first and make some test holes around to make sure the ice is as thick as said.

I certainly wouldn't be driving on with 8" of ice...
8" is borderline as it is. But factor in that you might hit weaker ice in areas.

Certainly a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. Especially considering it sounds like someone already went through.

270WINCHESTER
12-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Ya think 8" isn't thick enough. Not arguing with you just curious. Several sources such as this one say that 8" of ice is good enough for a car/small truck. Which weigh alot more than a 250lb dirt bike with a 150lb rider. And don't worry, i am aware that just because ice is one thickness in one spot, doesn't mean it is that thick in other spot.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

Don K
12-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Lol. You're nuts to drive on Ghost with 8" of ice!!!
2 rivers flowing and a dam creates constantly fluctuating ice conditions. That is a lake that you wait til mid January to drive on. Even then I've seen guys break through.

Cory1
12-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Sorry, I Misunderstood you, looked at the last post and you said driving. Forgot this thread was pertaining to your bike.

Still gut feeling is hold off another week or two, and don't take a risk you don't have to.

8" of good ice shouldn't be an issue, but there's always the concern of adverse conditions.

Another post on here said 3" in an area, which was due to a vehicle recovery... Just never know what you'll encounter.

Fish face
12-05-2014, 10:50 AM
I've been out there in january, drilled holes in 14" of ice, moved 15' over and cut into 4". Same day drilled thru about 6" and there was a foot of water under it then another slab of ice about a foot thick. Ice out there is weird in spots. Especially by the bridge. Ive never driven up towards the bow end or even 1/2 way across towards the dam, too weird for me while packing kids around. Ice heaves too much for my liking most winters. And thats some deep water in spots.

kevinhits
12-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Ya think 8" isn't thick enough. Not arguing with you just curious. Several sources such as this one say that 8" of ice is good enough for a car/small truck. Which weigh alot more than a 250lb dirt bike with a 150lb rider. And don't worry, i am aware that just because ice is one thickness in one spot, doesn't mean it is that thick in other spot.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

Just curious is all....Why take a dirt bike out on the ice? is this more common than I think?

kevinhits
12-05-2014, 12:27 PM
I've been out there in january, drilled holes in 14" of ice, moved 15' over and cut into 4". Same day drilled thru about 6" and there was a foot of water under it then another slab of ice about a foot thick. Ice out there is weird in spots. Especially by the bridge. Ive never driven up towards the bow end or even 1/2 way across towards the dam, too weird for me while packing kids around. Ice heaves too much for my liking most winters. And thats some deep water in spots.

PCR was the same last year...Drilled holes about 50 feet out and was 15" thick...went out a little further out and 8" thick. Kinda scared the crap out of me thinking it was good to drive a van onto the ice....

tam474
12-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Ice riding is very common. It is even a sport

270WINCHESTER
12-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. After hearing what you think im going to take your advice and hold of a while longer. I to have experienced the ice changing thicknesses rapidly on this lake. Kind of freaky.
Like tam474 said, ice riding on dirtbikes is rather common. You cant just jump on your bike and go ride though; practically no traction, you would just spin your tires. You put ice studs into your tires.

Not me riding but there from ghost and are cool to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss-9B5eWwkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLV-TfILB0I

dryrush
12-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I blame you dirt bikers for every day I get skunked on ghost during ice season. Still haven't figured out why I get skunked all summer but it will come to me

TROLLER
12-06-2014, 01:04 PM
I blame you dirt bikers for every day I get skunked on ghost during ice season. Still haven't figured out why I get skunked all summer but it will come to me

It's those damn dirty very loud wave wacker sail boats don't ya know:)

millartech
01-10-2015, 12:30 AM
Had anyone been out on the ice here lately

honker_clonker
01-10-2015, 06:48 PM
I was there yesterday, a good 17" of ice. The ice was busier than the highway with traffic, no one going less than 40km too.