PDA

View Full Version : Ice safety @ ghost

slivers86
12-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Had a good time at ghost last night chasing burbot, however one thing was concerning that we found. At the end of the dock on the north side of the hwy, a 8x10 section of ice had been cut out, along with another section looking about 10x10.

The one section was clearly visible, however when we drilled a couple test holes, we were surprised to go from 7 or 8 inches of solid ice, to 3" off the end of the dock.

Not sure who does this, pulling blocks out to make sculptures or what not, but use your bloody heads... find a better spot :argue2:

YeeHaw
12-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Hopfully someone didnt try driving on and go in. Typical size hole for a recovery

270WINCHESTER
12-02-2014, 05:04 PM
How thick was the ice?? Did you just check in one spot and it was 7"-8" or was this at several spots. Just curious about when i can take a dirtbike out on it.

Thanks

The Reel Deal
12-02-2014, 05:25 PM
divers?
how was the burb action?

slivers86
12-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Burb action was slow - in hindsight, guessing perhaps it was due to having the inside of our tent lit up. did have a few good bites.

The holes were not infront of the launch area, thankfully.

I would not recommend taking the dirt bike on. We did a few holes about 20 ft out from the dock there, and they were consistant with my previous post, however no idea if this clown will come back and cut ice again. Was very dangerous.

Did not look like anyone tried driving on, a set of tracks did stop right at the edge of the water at the rocks, so thinking this person maybe took the ice they were cutting? who knows!

Wasn't a lot of signs of diving, and I would guess that that section of the lake, having a current, may not be desirable when other lakes within an hour, such as two jack or minnewanka, have a better environment for diving. Who knows though.

There was a piling of ice, a very weak attempt at an inukshuk

270WINCHESTER
12-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Wasn't a lot of signs of diving, and I would guess that that section of the lake, having a current, may not be desirable when other lakes within an hour, such as two jack or minnewanka, have a better environment for diving. Who knows though.

I sure hope no one is driving on minnewanka or fishing there.:confused: its closed to fishing this time of year and your not allowed off highway vehicles on it.

WayneChristie
12-02-2014, 07:39 PM
you talking inches or feet?

burbotman
12-02-2014, 07:45 PM
you talking inches or feet?

That would be one chunk if he is talking feet. I suspect some other reason

slivers86
12-02-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm talking feet. Huge sections of ice cut out. one to the left of the dock, and looks like one to the right.

Also - I realise minnewanka isn't open - was referring to it for scuba divers doing ice dives :) there are crazy fella's that do that wild crap!

WayneChristie
12-02-2014, 09:28 PM
wow, I wonder if someone did try to drive on and went through, hopefully no one was injured.

The Reel Deal
12-02-2014, 09:57 PM
i know they stopped diving at Minniwanka since the flood, not as clear as it used to be.

270WINCHESTER
12-02-2014, 10:04 PM
i know they stopped diving at Minniwanka since the flood, not as clear as it used to be.

The flood destroyed the old town that the scuba divers were diving to. Once it was washed out as a result of the flood there wasn't much more than a pile of ruble to look at. To bad, i heard it was pretty cool.

slivers86
12-03-2014, 01:46 AM
wow, I wonder if someone did try to drive on and went through, hopefully no one was injured.

it was a clean cut square/rectangle. 1ftx3ft cubes on the ice, stacked up... but not enough for the size of the hole. Just some yahoo carving out the ice i'd guess

Jayhaud
12-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Yikes, I tried walking out there on weekend near cliffs and I almost fell through. Ice at best walking around was less than two inches. Be safe out there

Hueston
12-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Did you see any whites

impulse
12-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Did you catch a burn right off the launch

slivers86
12-03-2014, 10:36 PM
didn't see nothing - it was 01:00 - 04:00... no camera and dark. More something to kill time, with a chance of fish!

spinN'flyfish
12-03-2014, 11:13 PM
No fish, eh? The ice concerns me though, as it poses a threat as well.

slivers86
12-04-2014, 12:54 AM
No fish, eh? The ice concerns me though, as it poses a threat as well.

yup. Be safe it you go check it out. We set up the tent on the thick ice for a few hours, it was nice and crackly.

Kokanee9
12-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Hopfully someone didnt try driving on and go in. Typical size hole for a recovery

Correct.

That was from about 2 weeks ago.

Don't know if it was from driving on the ice or an out of control vehicle from the highway. The emergency vehicles arrived there about 45 min. before sunset.