PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone ... New to Calgary ... but not new to ice fishing !

Frozenflyguy
12-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Hello everyone !

It seems that by Alberta standards I might have started thinking about ice fishing a little late. I am moving to Calgary in early January and I am eager to start exploring the area ... starting with ... you guessed it ice fishing and in particular walleye (although I will try and catch everything that swims!). I have been active on fishing forums in Ontario and know just how valuable these boards can be which is why I thought I would introduce myself sooner rather than later.

I will most likely be missing an annual ice fishing trip to the Bay of Quinte in Ontario (perhaps some may have heard about this Ontario fishery) chasing double digit eyes as a result of my upcoming move but I'm hoping there are some good options for me in Alberta ... any information would be helpful for me and I will look through the history here to see what is happening in the area ... I hope to meet some of you during this new adventure !

Until then ... I hope you enjoy a little walleye ice fishing primer compiled from video clips from over the years at the Bay of Quinte with my hard water gang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfR4HAyXIqk

Till me meet ... be safe out there!

Frozenflyguy

huntsfurfish
12-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Welcome!
and
Excellent video.

Cory1
12-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Welcome aboard!
Shoot me a pm when you get here and I can take you out or give you the info you need!

Cory

The Fisherman Guy
12-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Welcome to AO! Great video, many great Walleye. Might just have to make it out that way this year.

WayneChristie
12-02-2014, 07:06 PM
welcome to AO and Gods country. great video, some very nice fish!

EZM
12-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Well made video ..... walleye like that are certainly not as common out here ..... some very nice quality walleyes can be had, but certainly not as common as you are used to.

We have some great streams out here for pitching some flies you will be enjoying in open water season ..... welcome aboard

slivers86
12-03-2014, 01:45 AM
Welcome to AO. Nice Vid!

Many great lakes, and rivers alike to chase the 'eyes within 1-3 hrs of Calgary. Once ya get here, I'm sure the forum will open up and show ya around a bit!

Kim473
12-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Wecome to AO. Great video ! You should have fun on the ice here but don't expect to many pigeyes like in your vid. For most of us, those are trophy size around these parts. And a lot more snow on most lakes here than in your video. Better have your snow tires on.
Welcome aboard !

Frozenflyguy
12-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and appreciation for the video ! As I mentioned I am very eager to start my exploration of Alberta in the upcoming weeks ! I will check back in with everyone when I get my gear unpacked! And as was noted by EZM ... I can't wait to get the drift boat and fly rods out and start spanking trout when the ice is gone !

See you all soon

Jamie Black R/T
12-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Fish like that sure are rare around here...but we hold our own...fishing in alberta has a lot to offer for those willing to explore and maybe make some well chosen friends :)

Welcome!

Man you guys fish some thin ice lol