PDA

View Full Version : targetting.....suckers thru ice

bunnyhunter
12-08-2008, 11:07 AM
ok, I know everyone catches suckers mainly by accident....but I'd like to catch some for monster pike and burbot bait....my family in BC always used fresh dead ones for bait, and caught a BIG burbot every time...

how do I target suckers? are they day or night fish?

thanks!
Jenn

happy perch fisher
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
There ussually more active during the day. Just use a small furry jig with a couple of maggots on them.

g1987man
12-08-2008, 05:37 PM
every time i cought them i was fishing for trout using worm. just put your bite in the bottom or a few inches up... should get some.

rocky97
12-08-2008, 05:59 PM
during the day is when they actively scavenage the bottom lookin for food. i use a hook baited with cheese diped in anus oil on bottom or 1-2 inches off. a really good place to target them, and almost certain to get one is chain lakes south near stavely.

Lethalconnection
12-08-2008, 08:07 PM
during the day is when they actively scavenage the bottom lookin for food. i use a hook baited with cheese diped in anus oil on bottom or 1-2 inches off. a really good place to target them, and almost certain to get one is chain lakes south near stavely.

I DONT want to know where u get that from ;):lol:

Slick66
12-08-2008, 08:26 PM
ok, I know everyone catches suckers mainly by accident....but I'd like to catch some for monster pike and burbot bait....my family in BC always used fresh dead ones for bait, and caught a BIG burbot every time...

how do I target suckers? are they day or night fish?

thanks!
Jenn

Does anybody have pics of what a sucker looks like. I always assumed people were accidentally calling burbs suckers.

bunnyhunter
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM

um...I assume you mean anise oil? :D

I'll give the cheese and worms a try....my 6 year old will help out ~!

and they are definitely NOT burbots......a white sucker...is like this pic....there's a few other kinds of sucker, but they all have a suction cup mouth on the bottom of the head.

rocky97
12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I DONT want to know where u get that from ;):lol:

lol the stuffs got a wired name thats for sure, next time u go to ur takel store look for it in the bait section.

bunnyhunter
12-08-2008, 09:05 PM
LOL!! crazy what they will call things to get you to look at the product!