PDA

View Full Version : Bears Paw Reservoir

niwrek
12-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Hey anyone ever fish bearspaw??

niwrek
12-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Anyone, I have read access is an issue????

rafhone
12-03-2014, 07:59 PM
If your thinking of ice fishing it, I heard that the ice is unsafe as of yet. And yes access is a HUGE issue. Prepare for a long walk

drhu22
12-03-2014, 08:05 PM
If your thinking of ice fishing it, I heard that the ice is unsafe as of yet. And yes access is a HUGE issue. Prepare for a long walk

Bring a dog and a crazy carpet?

rafhone
12-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Bring a dog and a crazy carpet?

Sure, why not?

lds
12-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Fished it only in the summer and it was great. Some really nice size trout in there. If you need some help as far as access pm me. I've seen people ice fish it before but never gave it a try myself. Good luck

niwrek
12-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the info any help is appreciated for sure. Im going to go up there today and have a look around. A person cant park near the dam?

Garlicmarshmellow
12-04-2014, 09:00 AM
They do not allow access by the dam, shut that down a couple of years ago. Use to be a great dog walking area and highly used. Use to take the kids just above the dam and had good luck for whites. Rumor is that the people in Valley ridge didn't care for hearing the train whistle and had the access shut down, cn claims it is a dangerous crossing.

niwrek
12-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Well I drove around for 3 hours, knocked on a few doors. Everyone said no to having any access. was worth a shot though:angry3:

slamilton
12-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Used to go in and walk the dog in that area which is now closed. What a shame there is no access, unless someone wants to PM me a way to get in to fish from shore or a boat if you're allowed. I spent quite a bit of time driving around last year also trying to find some access.

depolloc
12-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Dangerous crossing...funny...obviously, this intersection is WAY more dangerous than any typical c-train controlled crossings (which only thousands of folks use daily) no fishy stuff going on here...:thinking-006:

Kokanee9
12-04-2014, 05:00 PM
On tuesday morning, I noticed somebody had tried to go out on the ice. Their tracks didn't go very far out before they decided to try in some different places. In every instance, their tracks went out no more than 50 ft. from shore and had turned back toward shore to try in another spot.

The ice along the shoreline is cloudy-white and it doesn't look very good. Whoever tried going out turned back to shore for a reason each time they went out. There was 1 spot where the ice had been broken and I don't know if they fell through or just broke open a test hole with an axe or something like that. It was no auger that was used because the hole was too rough and large for that.

I would advise not going out there yet.

Moefoe
12-05-2014, 04:04 AM
15-18 years ago I had a buddy who's folks lived down what is now known as Emerald Bay...we ice fished and played hockey out there quite a bit! The fishing was really hit and miss, similar to the summer action I guess! There was one time we had a crazy day catching Whites and a bunch of the smallest Lakers you have ever seen on flies and maggots...as been posted access is tough these days!!

Bigdad013
12-05-2014, 07:48 AM
You could try the farm straight across from emerald bay, if he's in a good mood, he will let you get access.

To get on by emerald bay, you could have someone drive you out there to pick you up later, then you can walk in by the gates

Don K
12-05-2014, 09:52 AM
In the spring/summer can you get there from Cochrane by river? I've only bed above Cochrane and in the Ghost.

Lornce
12-05-2014, 12:55 PM
There was a time years ago when I could put my boat in at Emerald Bay. Its changed to a private lake community now.

rafhone
12-05-2014, 02:14 PM
In the spring/summer can you get there from Cochrane by river? I've only bed above Cochrane and in the Ghost.

With the right boat, yes. I haven't done it but know people do it.

niwrek
12-06-2014, 10:58 AM
I asked the old farmer, he was pleasant, but said no.... he also said he use to let people through, but had to spend endless hours cleaning up garbage.
The one fella at Emerald bay has a perfect spot, he also has his own boat launch. Does anyone know if you can drive quads on the ice there to the dam?

highrockslayer
02-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Anyone try and go out ice fishing on bearspaw dam yet this year? i hear there is a place to park and access on the south side of the river and i would like to try it. curious to know if anyone has an ice report!
thanks

fishstix
02-05-2015, 11:28 AM
They do not allow access by the dam, shut that down a couple of years ago. Use to be a great dog walking area and highly used. Use to take the kids just above the dam and had good luck for whites. Rumor is that the people in Valley ridge didn't care for hearing the train whistle and had the access shut down, cn claims it is a dangerous crossing.

That's a CP line.

lds
02-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Anyone try and go out ice fishing on bearspaw dam yet this year? i hear there is a place to park and access on the south side of the river and i would like to try it. curious to know if anyone has an ice report!
thanks

I was tempted last year and went down this year to that spot. You have to walk east a ways which isn't super easy cuz the ice is super sketchy where you get on from the parking

niwrek
02-05-2015, 06:56 PM
I want to ice fish there so badly, but access is such a pain in the but

fish99
02-05-2015, 07:50 PM
I want to ice fish there so badly, but access is such a pain in the but

there is a gravel pit on the south side . I used a quad to get to the ice.a long drive on the quad and quit steep in places ,the fishing was poor, just a couple small rockies. good luck.

The Reel Deal
02-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Best way to access bearspaw is by jet boat down the river from cochrane. This stretch of river is sketchy even by jet boat.

Good luck walking in.

This res is just as hard to fish as ghost and not worth the effort.

niwrek
02-06-2015, 07:25 PM
How fast does a jet boat go over the ice??? Just kidding I would love to fish that lake......helicopter???

The Reel Deal
02-06-2015, 07:41 PM
You can't take a jet boat on ice silly!
it seems the train runs every half hour on the north side, it's loud and very annoying on an otherwise quiet lake.
I wonder if one can take a cab to the north boat launch?

bigbadbrown
02-07-2015, 08:38 AM
There is a public access on the south side of the lake.
Look on google earth and you will find it
Fishing is usually pretty slow though

tallieho
02-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Years ago T.U Bought a pc of land s/side.Kids partyers damm near burned have the country down out there,on that pc of TU land.Steep climb down,to waters edge...